SAC Era color schemes for the BUFF

SAC Era color schemes for the BUFF

donnie
donnie

October 10th, 2001, 2:54 am #1

Hello all
Having served about 10 years in the old SAC, I have this nostalgic obsession with modeling the BUFF & KC-135, in the "bare metal/aluminum" paint schemes. Does anyone know the year (years) when the paint schemes changed from "aluminum & white" to SIOP (BUFF) and the Air Defense Gray for the Tanker? I have books and photographs which give me a close guess, but I want to be sure of the markings that I choose (which are limited anyway) I also have photographs of Tankers from SEA that were still "aluminum" as late as 1969.

Mark "USAF Brat" Hoffman
Mark "USAF Brat" Hoffman

October 10th, 2001, 3:17 am #2

Tom Gaj
Tom Gaj

October 10th, 2001, 4:42 am #3

Hello all
Having served about 10 years in the old SAC, I have this nostalgic obsession with modeling the BUFF & KC-135, in the "bare metal/aluminum" paint schemes. Does anyone know the year (years) when the paint schemes changed from "aluminum & white" to SIOP (BUFF) and the Air Defense Gray for the Tanker? I have books and photographs which give me a close guess, but I want to be sure of the markings that I choose (which are limited anyway) I also have photographs of Tankers from SEA that were still "aluminum" as late as 1969.
B-52s switched from aluminum laquer over anti-flash white to SIOP or SEA (D-models only)camouflage starting in 1965.
Tankers began the transition from aluminum to ADC Gray about 1976-77.

donnie
donnie

October 10th, 2001, 10:54 am #4