Roden 144th C-124 Arrived today,

Roden 144th C-124 Arrived today,

June 28th, 2012, 2:14 am #1

Ok I just gave it the once over to me it looks ok but I havent checked it against the Welsh or Anigrand kits or the Ginter Book yet, one thing I noticed was that the fuselage portholes/windows have raised outlines to show you were to position the porthole decals kind of reminded me of them there Olden Days of Modeling, also there are a number of parts not used like the wingtip heaters, vents & what looks like whole nose door assembly that I dont know what youd use for unless you cut off the closed doors & then cut it apart to build them open but theres no ramps Etc. theres also what looks like two spars, maybe Roden changed the molds during the tooling. As for the decals the MATS Globes I think should be replaced,
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

June 28th, 2012, 2:30 am #2

It's listed as "not for use" on the instructions, but it's missing entirely from my kit. They appear set to use exactly the same moldings for the C-124C release to come later, as it has everything (except the radome, in my kit) you need in the box.

The cabin window scribing and decals are circular, when the real ones were oval. The kit scribing for windows, doors, etc is pretty much late C-124A and C-124C configuration, so to do an early bird you'll need to make some changes here and there.

Detail on the wheel hubs is quite nice, and the spokes could even be opened up with a Dremel to make them really killer looking, as the wheels are all in halves.

Note that for C-124Cs you need to leave off the three flap hinges under the wings on the outboard ends. Later a/c had partial span flaps instead of full span.

Props are iffy at best. Production C-124s had a cuffed Curtiss Electric prop. The kit attempts to be that, but doesn't quite make it. Perhaps we can talk someone (Vector?) into a set of engines and props. As you can see from the instruction sheet, the R-4360 corn cobs are just a bulkhead and one bank of cylinders. Probably adequate for the size of the cowl openings, but some detailed engines and better props would be in good order.

Overall I'm pretty impressed with it.

This article would be of use.

http://hyperscale.com/2007/features/c124changesmb_1.htm

Anyone have a contact for Mike Boyd??

June 28th, 2012, 3:16 am #3

Nope you are correct Pete no nose, so looks like we will be seeing other kits, what would be nice are some after market decals for some of the more colorful SAC & TAC Troop Carriers, I like the C-124 so Ill be building more then one, My Dad filmed Operation Bali Hai in 1954 flying w/ the 62nd TCG they airlifted French Paras from France to Vietnam & arrived the very day Dien Ben Phu fell, heres some photos of that Operation,
http://s1089.photobucket.com/albums/i35 ... AI%201954/
Cheers,

June 28th, 2012, 3:20 am #4

Thanks for sharing... Great VNAF stuff there.

June 28th, 2012, 3:31 am #5

Ok I just gave it the once over to me it looks ok but I havent checked it against the Welsh or Anigrand kits or the Ginter Book yet, one thing I noticed was that the fuselage portholes/windows have raised outlines to show you were to position the porthole decals kind of reminded me of them there Olden Days of Modeling, also there are a number of parts not used like the wingtip heaters, vents & what looks like whole nose door assembly that I dont know what youd use for unless you cut off the closed doors & then cut it apart to build them open but theres no ramps Etc. theres also what looks like two spars, maybe Roden changed the molds during the tooling. As for the decals the MATS Globes I think should be replaced,
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
My uncle was in the USAF for a few years, and during his enlistment, he flew to Antarctica on Operation Deep Freeze (?). He told me stories about fearless and curious penguins that would wander over to the aircraft and waddle up the ramp.

I only have one picture, scanned in from a slide. I'd like to build him this kit - but I think I have to wait for a later release with the radome? Not that it looks especially hard to fabricate.

GD

June 28th, 2012, 4:41 am #6

...where it was 160-170 degrees inside the fuselage.
They were allowed to be in the aircraft for only a few minutes at a time.
He also said the thing shook like crazy in flight.

June 28th, 2012, 2:04 pm #7

[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
Thanks for the scans of the instructions Jamie. Nice to see them along with your thoughts on the kit. I'm very glad to see that the "C" model parts are there on the sprues so I hope that kit isn't too far behind. I'd love to see some aftermarket decals too (ANG options!) but I'm not going to hold my breath...

-Derek

June 28th, 2012, 6:38 pm #8

[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
Gotta get a couple. My dad flew them in the USAF. Many thanks for the review.

June 29th, 2012, 2:35 am #9

[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
When we lived a Lajes during the 1960s. I don't build 1/144 but I'll make an exception for a Shaky.

Humpty Dumpty was pushed.

June 29th, 2012, 10:03 am #10

Nope you are correct Pete no nose, so looks like we will be seeing other kits, what would be nice are some after market decals for some of the more colorful SAC & TAC Troop Carriers, I like the C-124 so Ill be building more then one, My Dad filmed Operation Bali Hai in 1954 flying w/ the 62nd TCG they airlifted French Paras from France to Vietnam & arrived the very day Dien Ben Phu fell, heres some photos of that Operation,
http://s1089.photobucket.com/albums/i35 ... AI%201954/
Cheers,
You can leave me a message there:
http://jeanbarbaud.blogspot.fr/

Thanks !

Jean