Road Trip! Any good hobby shops between Charleston, SC and Savannah, GA?

Road Trip! Any good hobby shops between Charleston, SC and Savannah, GA?

May 15th, 2012, 3:09 am #1

Be there for a week, any hobby shops or museums I should visit?

Greg in OK

May 15th, 2012, 3:39 am #2

It's only a hobby..it's only a hobby..it's -

May 15th, 2012, 3:41 am #3

Greg in OK
I know a poor soul who drives Sacto to SF 3-4 days a week! A 200 mile r/t! He takes BART (our subway) for the last 10 miles to save on $$$$$$ city parking.

May 15th, 2012, 6:36 am #4

Greg in OK
Hey Greg,
I can't speak on hobby shops as they are limited here, but as for museums I'm your contact.

As previously noted, don't miss the The Mighty Eighth Air Force Museum in Pooler (just outside Savannah). It really is a fantastic museum and they have recently started restoring the Smithsonian's old B-17. (They painted the inside a green color - a big no-no: B-17s had mostly unpainted interiors - but alas, they wont listen to me!) Seriously though, it is a nice stop.

In Charleston be sure to visit Patriot's Point in Mount Pleasant (just across the giant Arthur Ravenel bridge, supposedly the world'st largest independent suspension bridge), which is home to the WWII vets Yorktown (CV-10), Laffey (DD-724), and Clamagore (SS-343). The Navy threatened to scrap the Yorktown a couple years back due to poor funding and maintenance, so she really needs all the attention she can get. Some argued that she was the oldest carrier afloat, but research revealed that the Lexington, despite the higher hull number (CV-16) was the older survivor. Because of this technicality, the Navy doesn't seem to care what happens to her. Still, all us S. Carolinians want her to stay.

If you are a ACW-buff, there is even more to see. Savannah has Fort Pulaski, which saw the first use of rifled cannon in 1862, and Charleston has Forts Sumter (first shot of war) and Moultrie (the origin of the state flag, one-time home to Edgar Allan Poe, and sister fort with Sumter in guarding the harbor). Fort Wagner, so prominently featured in the movie Glory, no-longer exists and the island it was on is uninhabited, but the area can be seen from Sumter. Don't forget to visit the Hunley submersible either, though it is a bit hard to find (its at the old, closed naval base). Some of their discoveries of 19th century submersible technology have been baffling.

Between Charleston and Savannah is Beaufort, the sight of the US Army's 1861 amphibious invasion of South Carolina and their subsequent headquarters in laying siege to Charleston. Beaufort is small but beautiful and is a great way to see some old sights without all the traffic. It is also home to Paris Island, so you can, if you wish, visit the Marine Corps museum there. Furthermore, there is a national cemetery in Beaufort that is worth visiting, as it has amongst its graves members of the famous 54th Massachusetts, the Great Santini, and a German sailor pulled from a nearby depth-charged U-boat.

Finally, just for fun's sake, the best restaurant in my opinion, is RB's, on the right just after crossing the big bridge in Charleston. If you're taking the family, you might also visit Battery Park, touted as the sight of the first shot of the ACW, and is also quite picturesque. It is a great place to park for walking downtown to visit Rainbow Row (old houses), the old Exchange building (British headquarters during American Revolution), and the market (a must see, though beware of high prices).

Savannah is more difficult to get around, though you might enjoy a visit to The Pirate House, a pirate-hangout turned restaurant that Robert Louis Stevenson utilized in writing Treasure Island. Though they don't show it anymore, there is a cave in the wine-cellar that once lead to a nearby beach, for pirates to use when authorities showed-up. There is also a world-class candy shop down by the river, but their name escapes me.

Hope you have a good time!

-G

May 15th, 2012, 11:53 am #5

Was used by pirates to "shanghai" drunken tavern goers and make them serve on their ship back in the day...

Now, if you want the best chicken fingers you will EVER eat, visit Spanky's on River Street. Those, along with their spuds and beer, will make it worth while...

I am from Savannah, so I know it quite well... However, downtown Savannah is quite easy to get around as it is laid out in a grid pattern (done by Oglethorpe in 1733). If you do make it that way, don't even bother going to that Paula Deen piece of crap restaurant...

If you need any info, either of us can help!

May 15th, 2012, 2:40 pm #6

Hey Greg,
I can't speak on hobby shops as they are limited here, but as for museums I'm your contact.

As previously noted, don't miss the The Mighty Eighth Air Force Museum in Pooler (just outside Savannah). It really is a fantastic museum and they have recently started restoring the Smithsonian's old B-17. (They painted the inside a green color - a big no-no: B-17s had mostly unpainted interiors - but alas, they wont listen to me!) Seriously though, it is a nice stop.

In Charleston be sure to visit Patriot's Point in Mount Pleasant (just across the giant Arthur Ravenel bridge, supposedly the world'st largest independent suspension bridge), which is home to the WWII vets Yorktown (CV-10), Laffey (DD-724), and Clamagore (SS-343). The Navy threatened to scrap the Yorktown a couple years back due to poor funding and maintenance, so she really needs all the attention she can get. Some argued that she was the oldest carrier afloat, but research revealed that the Lexington, despite the higher hull number (CV-16) was the older survivor. Because of this technicality, the Navy doesn't seem to care what happens to her. Still, all us S. Carolinians want her to stay.

If you are a ACW-buff, there is even more to see. Savannah has Fort Pulaski, which saw the first use of rifled cannon in 1862, and Charleston has Forts Sumter (first shot of war) and Moultrie (the origin of the state flag, one-time home to Edgar Allan Poe, and sister fort with Sumter in guarding the harbor). Fort Wagner, so prominently featured in the movie Glory, no-longer exists and the island it was on is uninhabited, but the area can be seen from Sumter. Don't forget to visit the Hunley submersible either, though it is a bit hard to find (its at the old, closed naval base). Some of their discoveries of 19th century submersible technology have been baffling.

Between Charleston and Savannah is Beaufort, the sight of the US Army's 1861 amphibious invasion of South Carolina and their subsequent headquarters in laying siege to Charleston. Beaufort is small but beautiful and is a great way to see some old sights without all the traffic. It is also home to Paris Island, so you can, if you wish, visit the Marine Corps museum there. Furthermore, there is a national cemetery in Beaufort that is worth visiting, as it has amongst its graves members of the famous 54th Massachusetts, the Great Santini, and a German sailor pulled from a nearby depth-charged U-boat.

Finally, just for fun's sake, the best restaurant in my opinion, is RB's, on the right just after crossing the big bridge in Charleston. If you're taking the family, you might also visit Battery Park, touted as the sight of the first shot of the ACW, and is also quite picturesque. It is a great place to park for walking downtown to visit Rainbow Row (old houses), the old Exchange building (British headquarters during American Revolution), and the market (a must see, though beware of high prices).

Savannah is more difficult to get around, though you might enjoy a visit to The Pirate House, a pirate-hangout turned restaurant that Robert Louis Stevenson utilized in writing Treasure Island. Though they don't show it anymore, there is a cave in the wine-cellar that once lead to a nearby beach, for pirates to use when authorities showed-up. There is also a world-class candy shop down by the river, but their name escapes me.

Hope you have a good time!

-G
And I have fond memories of the Pirate House, the old fort and Tybee Beach.

May 15th, 2012, 5:32 pm #7

Was used by pirates to "shanghai" drunken tavern goers and make them serve on their ship back in the day...

Now, if you want the best chicken fingers you will EVER eat, visit Spanky's on River Street. Those, along with their spuds and beer, will make it worth while...

I am from Savannah, so I know it quite well... However, downtown Savannah is quite easy to get around as it is laid out in a grid pattern (done by Oglethorpe in 1733). If you do make it that way, don't even bother going to that Paula Deen piece of crap restaurant...

If you need any info, either of us can help!
Good call on that Paula Deen place, though I've never been to Spanky's - rest assured I will go now.

I can't explain it, but the grid pattern of Savannah always drives me up the wall. It always felt like Charleston is the easier city to get around. I live in the country so I suppose I just have an aversion cities altogether.

May 15th, 2012, 6:30 pm #8

One on River Street and also one behind the Oglethorpe Mall. I like the one behind the mall better - seems like the service (and sometimes food) is a bit better, but that could be just me. Not much better than fingers, spuds, and a cold beer! Oh, and don't forget the honey for the chicken fingers!

I just can't stand Deen - she is so fake and really overdoes her accent to a level that is sickening - but I guess that is what the rest (read: northerners) of the country think of how Southerners really sound... Have been there once with the in-laws when they were visiting and quite honestly, the food was not even that good - kind of reminds me of something you get in a diner.

Have you been to Fort Jackson? It isn't too far from River Street and an interesting place to visit. However, I love Ft. Pulaski - I can't even begin to count how many times have been there.

Charleston is a great city - have been there many times although never to the restaurant you mentioned. There is a great bbq place (can't remember the name) near the market,though... Battery Park is where one of ancestors was as a member of the Conferderate Army...

Beaufort is a nice place and the golf course on Parris can't be beat (one of the top five military courses in the world)...
Last edited by yzfrider2001 on May 15th, 2012, 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

May 15th, 2012, 6:52 pm #9

Greg in OK
My wife and I both thank you for your suggestions.

Greg in OK

May 15th, 2012, 7:16 pm #10

There used to be a couple of great hobby shops but sadly they closed years ago. Words of advice if you go to Savannah - don't go north of the bridge (or MLK for that matter) due to the high crime areas. The downtown historic district is amazing - there are all kinds of shops and places to eat you will love. In City Market, there is an awesome pizza place calle Vinnie's. Most of the downtown district is within walking - there are tons of old houses there that are available for tours (Juliet Gordon Lowe house of the girl scouts fame is just one of many). As was said before, Ft. Pulaski and Ft. Jackson are great places to visit.
I suggest parking in one of the parking garages and walking (if you can get parking on River Street, the jump on it...) around. I am not a fan of the guided tours in any form, especially the haunted ones...
You will find some of the best food around. Oh, and that candy shop he mentioned is called River Street Sweets - they give samples and my wife swears she gains five pounds just going by the door!
If you have questions about Savannah, don't hesitate to pm me - I would be glad to help in any way that I can.
Last edited by yzfrider2001 on May 15th, 2012, 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.