RIP Dick Clark.....

RIP Dick Clark.....

April 18th, 2012, 9:31 pm #1

I thought the guy would live forever, saw a many of a singer/preformer on American Bandstand. Mike

April 18th, 2012, 10:06 pm #2

just what drove him towards the end. It's no secret he had been in BAD shape for quite some time, and yet, by hook or by crook, he got out there for the annual new year's eve show. Was his will to work that strong? Was it ego? Was it financially driven? I guess we may never know.

"The FANS are fighting back!!!"
"The SECURITY GUARDS are fighting back!!!"
"The PEANUT VENDORS are fighting back!!!"

April 18th, 2012, 11:58 pm #3

My brother kept working on heavy equipment when his carpal tunnel got so bad he HAD to have surgery in both hands.... he often fixes stuff for people for free. He keeps on keeping on. He loved anything with a motor even when he was a boy...

April 19th, 2012, 1:13 am #4

who was a survivor of the concentration camps, came to the US in 1950, and got a job as a brick mason. He worked full time up until 1988. As a retirement project, he bought a 30 unit apartment building (you know, just to keep busy!). He was there morning noon, and night. He took on all projects in that place, from trash pick up, all the way up to rebuilding the garage after a catalytic converter caught the garage on fire. Replace windows, cut grass, shovel snow, it didn't matter to Slammin Sam (my nickname for him). Sam was going home one day in 2001, when he pulled over into a gas station,parked the car, and died at the wheel of his 72 buick electra 225. His daughter's husband took over after that. I left a year later, the place had fallen to pot that fast.

April 19th, 2012, 2:57 am #5

I thought the guy would live forever, saw a many of a singer/preformer on American Bandstand. Mike
While I'm sad for Mr Clark's family, I'm curious why the press never mentioned his involvement in the "Payola" scandal of the late 50's. Supposedly, he took money for playing certain records, weird eh?

April 19th, 2012, 3:15 am #6

got caught up in that. By today's standards, and by all that has since transpired, it just doesn't seem "that big of a deal". Besides, the guy's dead. Let his family have some peace, without having to go through something from 50 years ago....

April 19th, 2012, 3:49 am #7

While I'm sad for Mr Clark's family, I'm curious why the press never mentioned his involvement in the "Payola" scandal of the late 50's. Supposedly, he took money for playing certain records, weird eh?
That was pretty much the norm back then. Just like GIs overseas or not paying for sex. nt.

April 19th, 2012, 3:05 pm #8

just what drove him towards the end. It's no secret he had been in BAD shape for quite some time, and yet, by hook or by crook, he got out there for the annual new year's eve show. Was his will to work that strong? Was it ego? Was it financially driven? I guess we may never know.

YES. My impression only though. cheers, LL

So a friend says: "cheer up things could be worse; so I cheered up and sure as hell Things Got Worse!

April 19th, 2012, 4:53 pm #9

Rick Dees (a longtime associate and good friend to Mr. Clark) and he said that when Rick told Dick to slow down because of his ailments, Mr. clarks response was something to the effect of "no way. I was born to work." What a wonderful thing for anyone to actually have a job they love so much that it really never seems like work.
McLents

April 19th, 2012, 6:34 pm #10

As mention above, it was the norm, rather than a deviant exception.
DC helped build a multi-billion dollar industry.

Many of the payoffs that go on today, and don't even get a serious mention, are tens of times worse.

DJs got some extra cash to give certain records an extra spin or five. We were so much younger back then, not innocent, but just naive.

There is no such thing as an unbuildable kit, just some kits one may consider not worth building.

Ive realized that most people ... tend not to be direct when they feel something is shoddy because they want to be liked, "which is actually a vain trait".
[Walter Isaacson's (author of Steve Jobs) recounting of his interview with Jony Ive, Chief Designer at Apple @ page p. 461]

BUY THIS BOOK
http://tinyurl.com/Ididntseeitcoming