Ridge Runner III question

Ridge Runner III question

June 28th, 2012, 12:43 am #1

I am building Ridge Runner III, P-51D serial 472308.

I have a nice side on shot, and it shows some stuff on the rear fuselage that I haven't seen on a Mustang before:

- looks like a light on the fuselage just below the aerial mast, on the rear bar of the star and bar.

- a dot, directly below this along the lower fuselage

Can anyone help with details?

Also, the fin appears to have the tail warning radar - is this a correct interpretation?

Thanks guys

PR

June 28th, 2012, 1:04 am #2

The dot in the insignia is most definitely a foul-weather anti-collision light. There's another on on the forward fuselage above the data block, aft of the artwork. These were the same lights as the three ID lights used under the wing. They used amber ones. Most photos show them located in the middle of the star, not the bar.

As for the other thing, IDK, a camera maybe? The F-6D has a camera in this same location. I've heard that fighter units would install cameras in some machines for post-strike evaluation.

I'm sure an actual Mustang expert will be along soon to weigh in on this.

June 28th, 2012, 11:43 am #3

I have a nice side on shot, and it shows some stuff on the rear fuselage that I haven't seen on a Mustang before:

- looks like a light on the fuselage just below the aerial mast, on the rear bar of the star and bar.

Also, the fin appears to have the tail warning radar - is this a correct interpretation?

Thanks guys

PR
warning array. There is one light on each side of the nose just behind the exhaust and one each side in the insignia bar. EagleCals provide them on their sheet for Ridge Runner.......the dot is the jack tube

Keep your Sprues Empty
Last edited by larrygoodell on June 28th, 2012, 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

June 28th, 2012, 1:31 pm #4

...the jack tube is near the "A".  There's a larger one directly below the amber light.  What is that?     I've heard different stories of P-51's being modified for post-strike assesment as well as post-war aerial mapping and survey.  Some other well-known Mustangs show signs of being fitted with cameras.  "Lou IV" appears to have a vertical camera installed in the famous "Bottisham Four" series of photographs.   
Last edited by barrowb98 on June 28th, 2012, 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

June 28th, 2012, 2:49 pm #5

rgm

Keep your Sprues Empty

June 28th, 2012, 2:59 pm #6

...the jack tube is near the "A".  There's a larger one directly below the amber light.  What is that?     I've heard different stories of P-51's being modified for post-strike assesment as well as post-war aerial mapping and survey.  Some other well-known Mustangs show signs of being fitted with cameras.  "Lou IV" appears to have a vertical camera installed in the famous "Bottisham Four" series of photographs.   
I'm gonna hafta' find me a little round decal or the like
to simulate that...thanks........

Keep your Sprues Empty

June 28th, 2012, 9:47 pm #7

Thanks guys

PR
That's is great info. I didn't realise there were TWO lights, just learnt something new...again.

Nice model Larry - beautifully built and finished. I hope mine is close to that.

That is exactly the shot Brett, but your photo has a bit more definition to the black dot on the lower fuselage, and it does look hollow.

Hopefully Christian can chime in with some wisdom on what this is?

Thanks again for all your help with this question,

PR