Revell Hunter F3 Conversion WIP2

Revell Hunter F3 Conversion WIP2

June 2nd, 2011, 3:05 pm #1

As was noted in the first post, while the Wolgpack resin parts featured nice detail, they had shrunk and required filler to cure that problem. Fillers used were; Milliput White, Squadron Green, and Tamiya Putty. It was the first time that I have used the Tamiya filler and I was not that impressed. It took three applications in the cannon troughs because of shrinkage.

The model was primed with Tamiya's superb rattle can Fine Grey lacquer primer. Model Master Italian Red (gloss) thinned with lacquer thinner provided the bright red finish. I have to give a big thank you to Michael Kirk who emailed me with some details of this specific F3. The most important was the Sky painted sections on the front windscreen and the fuselage immediately in front of it. Thanks to the photograph he had attached, I think I got this area masked properly. Model Master Sky was used.

The reason for the patch is this Hunter had an additional windscreen added that had far more rake to it. Too bad that Wolfdpack did not include that with the conversion set. The reason for the Sky section was that was the initial colour used on this prototype. Why Sky? Apparently the wartime 'aluminium' paint would peel off at high speeds so until it was modified into High Speed Silver, other more resilient colours were used.

A couple of coats of FUTURE were sprayed on and will be left to cure until next week.

Thanks for dropping by.

Cheers, Vic

June 2nd, 2011, 5:25 pm #2

...is on display on your model shelf I'll bet, Vic - with all these prototypes of late! Nice sanding work. With ya on the Tamiya putty; it can be tricky because you're never sure what's going to come out of the tube!
Best...Ted...

WIP Builds:

The Big Spit Pt.1; The Big Spit Pt.2; The Big Spit Pt.3; The Big Spit Pt.4; The Big Spit Pt.5; The Big Spit Pt.6;
The Big Spit Pt.7; The Big Spit Pt.8; The Big Spit Pt.9; The Big Spit Pt.10; The Big Spit Pt.11;

Previous WIP Builds:
Me109 Pt.1; Me109 Pt.2; Me109 Pt.3; Me109 Finish;
Vickers Tank Pt.1; Vickers Tank Pt.2; Vickers Tank Pt.3; Vickers Tank Pt.4; Vickers Tank Pt.5; Vickers Tank Pt.6; Vickers Tank Finish;
Connies Pt.1; Connies Pt.2; Connies Pt.3; Connies Pt.4; Connies Pt.5; Connies Pt.6; Connies Pt.7; Connies Finish

Tall Tales:
Cold War Incident
The Lucky Mig

June 2nd, 2011, 7:58 pm #3

As was noted in the first post, while the Wolgpack resin parts featured nice detail, they had shrunk and required filler to cure that problem. Fillers used were; Milliput White, Squadron Green, and Tamiya Putty. It was the first time that I have used the Tamiya filler and I was not that impressed. It took three applications in the cannon troughs because of shrinkage.

The model was primed with Tamiya's superb rattle can Fine Grey lacquer primer. Model Master Italian Red (gloss) thinned with lacquer thinner provided the bright red finish. I have to give a big thank you to Michael Kirk who emailed me with some details of this specific F3. The most important was the Sky painted sections on the front windscreen and the fuselage immediately in front of it. Thanks to the photograph he had attached, I think I got this area masked properly. Model Master Sky was used.

The reason for the patch is this Hunter had an additional windscreen added that had far more rake to it. Too bad that Wolfdpack did not include that with the conversion set. The reason for the Sky section was that was the initial colour used on this prototype. Why Sky? Apparently the wartime 'aluminium' paint would peel off at high speeds so until it was modified into High Speed Silver, other more resilient colours were used.

A couple of coats of FUTURE were sprayed on and will be left to cure until next week.

Thanks for dropping by.

Cheers, Vic
Nice and steady progress Vic

Interesting to learn about the sky coloured windscreen - bits like this give a model character

But I tried spraying future once - it was not a success, since then I brush it by hand - I wonder if you thin Future while spraying it ?

* <i></i> * *
William De Coster / Belgium / past builds on HS : Plastic Stories

- Group Build Airfix Kits - Bristol Beaufighter Mk.II : Part I - Part II - Part III - Part IV - Part V - Part VI - Part VII (incl Flanders Modelling Festival 2011 show report) - Part VIII (incl Patherscup 2011 show report Pt.2) - Part IX (incl Beskyd Model Kit 2011 show report Pt.2) - Part X - Part XI - Part XII /The End
- Plastic Pics Vami Models - Me P. Schwalbe : Part I (incl Pantherscup 2011 show report Pt.1) - Part II (incl Beskyd Model Kit 2011 show report Pt.1)

Just like the perfect woman doesn't exist, I will never build a perfect model.
Puts me on a par with God

June 2nd, 2011, 8:24 pm #4

I spray it uncut and at about 20PSI.

During our last road trip the wife and I also scooted over to Drumheller to visit the badlands...

..and drop by the Royal Tyrrell Museum. This is dinosaur country big time and the museum is one of the best, if not the best dinosaur museum on the planet.

We always visit the Lance Chance Saloon that is about a half-hour drive down the road into a side valley. To get to the saloon you drive over 6(?) one-way bridges. One of the great things about the saloon is you get to cook you own steak. There is a large outside pation outback with several gas BBQs that can be used.

June 2nd, 2011, 8:54 pm #5

Vic - you are killing me

I like dinosaurs - I didn't know this !

Great pictures - and I think I spot a second "stuffed" dinosaur in the picture - is it a triceratops, it seems to have a tail and a horn - it might be useful for Allans recent build ?

That first picture is very impressive - I think you can fit Belgium and its 10,000,000 people completely in that "bassin"

One day Vic, one fine day ! (or rather week/month!)

* <i></i> * *
William De Coster / Belgium / past builds on HS : Plastic Stories

- Group Build Airfix Kits - Bristol Beaufighter Mk.II : Part I - Part II - Part III - Part IV - Part V - Part VI - Part VII (incl Flanders Modelling Festival 2011 show report) - Part VIII (incl Patherscup 2011 show report Pt.2) - Part IX (incl Beskyd Model Kit 2011 show report Pt.2) - Part X - Part XI - Part XII /The End
- Plastic Pics Vami Models - Me P. Schwalbe : Part I (incl Pantherscup 2011 show report Pt.1) - Part II (incl Beskyd Model Kit 2011 show report Pt.1)

Just like the perfect woman doesn't exist, I will never build a perfect model.
Puts me on a par with God

June 3rd, 2011, 1:18 am #6

Thanks for dropping by.

Cheers, Vic
You really have a way with paint, especially in colors that can show the smallest flaw. Really nice!

BTW, I use Tamiya putty since it's all I've got. I thin it quite a bit with lacquer thinner and it goes on better and doesn't seem to shrink as much.

Stuart