Revell Halifax Cowl Correction Set Question

Revell Halifax Cowl Correction Set Question

March 13th, 2012, 4:19 am #1

Guys,

I thought that it was the entire engine nacell that was too wide in the Halifax kit, and if so, what is the purpose of only supplying the front of the engine face only in the correction set?

TIA

Brad

"Max Flex" The key to Naval Success

March 13th, 2012, 4:31 am #2

pipeline. I'm going to wait for that.

March 13th, 2012, 5:17 am #3

/

March 13th, 2012, 6:09 am #4

Guys,

I thought that it was the entire engine nacell that was too wide in the Halifax kit, and if so, what is the purpose of only supplying the front of the engine face only in the correction set?

TIA

Brad

Hope someone gets on the ball with some Hercules engines soon.
Last edited by ADRIANOPANETTA on March 13th, 2012, 6:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

March 13th, 2012, 6:33 am #5

Guys,

TIA

Brad

It´s an appearance "improvement" set, not a "correction" set. n/t

March 13th, 2012, 1:22 pm #6

/

March 13th, 2012, 1:40 pm #7

Guys,

TIA

Brad

The Freightdog set improves the appearance of the Revell kit considerably, and address the appearance and, to a certain extent, the accuracy, of the Revell kit considerably. At £13, it's also quite reasonably priced.

I've just ordered one for my Revell Halifax. Without it, the kit would probably have stayed in the stash, unbuilt, until the end of time. With it, it will get built. I'll know the model isn't fully accurate, but I'll have had fun building it, and I bet the average observer will be none the wiser.

If the Aeroclub correction set isn't too expensive (I don't want to end up paying the equivalent of Hasegawa prices) , I'll probably get one - away from the wings, the Revell Halifax isnt too bad at all. In the meantime, the Freightdog set fulfills a need, and I wouldn't be surprised to see it sell in hundreds.

Cheers,

Chris.

March 13th, 2012, 3:45 pm #8

A lot of people draw the line at extensive corrections as soon as cutting and filing get involved.

Agreed, its not a perfect solution but it goes a long way towards improving the looks of the kit.

david

March 13th, 2012, 4:26 pm #9

Guys,

TIA

Brad

There is an extensive thread over on Britmodeller. There has been much debate over who's drawings are right etc. I have been to RAF Hendon and done a quick survey on the only remaining Merlin Halifax so I have some true dimensions. Both major drawings (Merrick and Granger)(and clones there of) are in error.

I have nearly finished my correction set for the Revell kit. Unless Revell do a totally new wing I doubt there will be no Hercules version. Revell should have (IMO) done a fairing-less wing and the other versions would have been easy.

I am aiming my efforts at a surgrey free solution and yet keeping compromise down to a minimum. The two kits, Matchbox and new Revell are both 'Curates eggs'.

John

March 13th, 2012, 5:19 pm #10

Hi John,

I look forward to seeing your correction. When you look at pictures of the real aeroplane and then look at the model, you can see the differences, at least I can anyway.

Cheers
Brad