Revell enamel color not good for washes ??

Revell enamel color not good for washes ??

June 16th, 2012, 6:07 pm #1

Lately I'm using the enamel colors of revell, thinned with white spirits for my enamel washes, but they don't dry very smooth. The wash goes on well, but the shadows left are too grainy. It's the same with newer odourless white spirit.
Washes with Humbrol seemed much better and smoother when dry, without 'drying circles'. Any ideas or tips ?
Also, do you guys use a lot of acrylic paint for washes ? For instance Vallejo ? I'm not very experienced with these, but white spirit sometimes smells too much.

Regards,
J

June 16th, 2012, 6:20 pm #2

Instead I use some good quality artist's oils and Weber's Turpenoid synthetic thinner. They go on smooth, won't effect most well cured model paints, and dry slow enough that you can adjust them before they set up. A few basic colors (black, burnt umber, raw umber, ochre, etc.) will allow you do shade just about anything and the big tubes will last forever.

June 16th, 2012, 6:38 pm #3

Lately I'm using the enamel colors of revell, thinned with white spirits for my enamel washes, but they don't dry very smooth. The wash goes on well, but the shadows left are too grainy. It's the same with newer odourless white spirit.
Washes with Humbrol seemed much better and smoother when dry, without 'drying circles'. Any ideas or tips ?
Also, do you guys use a lot of acrylic paint for washes ? For instance Vallejo ? I'm not very experienced with these, but white spirit sometimes smells too much.

Regards,
J
Basically ditto with Dave. I know people use paint for washes but I think it's a bad choice since you can't fix it easily like you can with oils or acrylic washes. It's also bloody expensive stuff to be using for a wash. I buy tubes of oils when they are on sale and while the better quality stuff is better I find the cheaper stuff works fine for me, last few I bought cost me a $1 each, should last me for at least a decade, probably a lot longer.

June 16th, 2012, 6:59 pm #4

I have found the cheaper paints have gritter pigments and break down more when you thin them out. Not that you can't use them, but you do get what you pay for. The better paints have finer and truer pigments and make a smoother, more consistent wash.

June 16th, 2012, 7:13 pm #5

Regards,
J
I use MM raw umber mostly or flat black or grey, thinned with mineral spirits over coats of future. Let it dry for a couple of hours and wipe with cotton cloth lightly dipped in mineral spirits. For hard to reach areas I use Q-tips and/or a small paint brush to adjust the wash. I have tried oils, but they dry so slowly and the pigments aren't any finer than the MM enamels.
Tom B.
Last edited by thombacpa on June 16th, 2012, 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

June 17th, 2012, 12:58 am #6

I have found the cheaper paints have gritter pigments and break down more when you thin them out. Not that you can't use them, but you do get what you pay for. The better paints have finer and truer pigments and make a smoother, more consistent wash.
I've used the higher end W&N and Grumbacher paints and a tube of Old Holland(just to see what that insanely high price bought) but I don't really notice that much of a difference to justify the price compared to Georgian and Academy which are not only cheaper but seem to be on sale all the time. Of course if I happen to see a better brand on sale and I need the colour I'll buy it.

June 17th, 2012, 10:54 am #7

Regards,
J
Lighter fluid dries much faster than mineral spirits, gives me the best results