Revell 1/48th Mosquito Mk BVI

August 18th, 2018, 9:56 am #1

I have noticed recent advertisements for a new Revell 1/48th Mosquito.   Is this the same kit which was subject to some criticism because its undercarriage was too short as against too big a wheels.  

Can any one also help and advise whether  the SAC Undercarriage for the Tamiya Mosquito can rectify the Revell undercarriage short  comings.

TIA

James Levingston

August 18th, 2018, 12:40 pm #2

I can't answer your question, but I'm wondering why just building the Tamiya kit is not a better option. Is it as rare as hen's teeth or have fatal flaws?

August 18th, 2018, 12:44 pm #3

Bomber version only has separate control surfaces. Detail, I don't know. I assume talking about new mols.
areva

August 18th, 2018, 1:52 pm #4

According to ScaleMates, his is NOT the multi-mark Mosquito from 1960's Monogram.  All new tool with LOTS of "bits".  Can't say for sure, but I'd guess a new tool kit has new tool landing gear and wheels/tires.  Give it a go and let us know!

C2j
Assembler of plastic model kits for over 50 years.

August 18th, 2018, 4:29 pm #5

jaslevo1 wrote: I have noticed recent advertisements for a new Revell 1/48th Mosquito.   Is this the same kit which was subject to some criticism because its undercarriage was too short as against too big a wheels.  

Can any one also help and advise whether  the SAC Undercarriage for the Tamiya Mosquito can rectify the Revell undercarriage short  comings.

TIA

James Levingston
yes. must be.
Nothing to do with the old 60's Monogram kit either.

the UC leg can be fixed, I'd not bother with the SAC ones, which are just copies of the Tamiya in metal.

the wheels are wrong, but then every 1/48th Mosquito kit gets the tyre tread wrong, Ultracast do some very good resin ones.
Also, the Revell kit has misshappen prop spinners and too short wing radiators. 
All fixable if you like the rest of the detail in the kit and you can be bothered.
more info here in the links in the links
https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/ind ... nt=1689287

HTH

August 18th, 2018, 6:58 pm #6

I actually have one of these started, it is a new tool kit. The one I have started. It is the Revell Germany original release, the one that's out now is a repop of this kit not the old Monogram. This kit has some pretty nice detail especially in the bomb bay area and yes it has the problem with the undercarriage and wheels and The Spinners, my detail correction set is going to be one of the several old original Legacy monogram kits. When I started this kit I check to see if the Spinners would be usable and surprisingly they are exactly the right size so the monogram kit will solve your problem right there with that and I just assumed that I would use the landing gear as well.
Cheers
Max Bryant 

Cheers,
Max Bryant

"You'll Love My Wingnuts!"

August 18th, 2018, 7:16 pm #7

takenname1 wrote: I actually have one of these started, it is a new tool kit. The one I have started. It is the Revell Germany original release, the one that's out now is a repop of this kit not the old Monogram. This kit has some pretty nice detail especially in the bomb bay area and yes it has the problem with the undercarriage and wheels and The Spinners, my detail correction set is going to be one of the several old original Legacy monogram kits. When I started this kit I check to see if the Spinners would be usable and surprisingly they are exactly the right size so the monogram kit will solve your problem right there with that and I just assumed that I would use the landing gear as well.
Cheers
Max Bryant 

Wow how ironic huh? Lol...knowing your resourcefulness I'm guessing those new parts you won't be using could be fitted to the old kit as well for another complete model?
I'm not retro, my stash got old. ~John Krukowski

August 18th, 2018, 7:54 pm #8

I was thinking that
Max

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Cheers,
Max Bryant

"You'll Love My Wingnuts!"

August 19th, 2018, 12:43 am #9

The original Monogram Mosquito might be a good source for the spinners, but it is a bust for the undercarriage legs - they are way to spindly, undersized and  round as opposed to the fairly beefy, oval shaped legs of the Mosquito. The SAC gear or the legs from the 1970's Airfix kit would be much better.
(To further confuse the issue - Revell/Monogram re-released the original 1960's Monogram Mosquito a few years ago as an RCAF Mossie. For a while the original and the new molding shared shelf space under basically the same label!) HTB1lG5DFVXXXXbGXFXXq6xXFXXX7[1].jpg hqdefault[1].jpg

August 19th, 2018, 11:06 am #10

regarding the gear legs, here's a photo of the Airfix against the Revell parts, Airfix dark grey, revell light grey

the missing length is at the top, so just add an extension.  This also shows the wheels and spinners compared
this is a thread on tyres
https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/ind ... -accurate/

basically, you need some Ultracast replacements for ANY 1/48th kit

HTH
T