Restoring a Monogram A-4E Question --

Restoring a Monogram A-4E Question --

September 28th, 2011, 1:12 am #1

Back around 82 i built the Monogram A-4E. Over the years, the decals went funky and the IFR probe was broken, leading edge slats broken off. It was built with leading edge slats exteneded and the underside and seat were painted with Pactra Flat Red, (i think).

Both surfaces have been reworked and sanded some. Most of the old red is still visible. Can i just use Testors Flat Red to recoat those areas ?

I've replaced all the broken gun barrels, IFR pipe and slat actuators with brass. It's getting close to re-painting time !! Thanks, George

September 28th, 2011, 1:19 am #2

paint thats had almost 30 years drying time, aint chippin off any time soon. Got alot of old birds that need rework myself...
Battle on Captain!

My girl - well she's kind of an ugly girl. But,that's O.K. I like ugly girls. Because pretty girls can do anything, but ugly girls have to do everything.
-John Birks "Dizzy" Gillespie

September 28th, 2011, 1:24 am #3

Thanks for the Encouragement -- n/t

September 28th, 2011, 12:35 pm #4

Back around 82 i built the Monogram A-4E. Over the years, the decals went funky and the IFR probe was broken, leading edge slats broken off. It was built with leading edge slats exteneded and the underside and seat were painted with Pactra Flat Red, (i think).

Both surfaces have been reworked and sanded some. Most of the old red is still visible. Can i just use Testors Flat Red to recoat those areas ?

I've replaced all the broken gun barrels, IFR pipe and slat actuators with brass. It's getting close to re-painting time !! Thanks, George
I recommend putting on a coat of white before reapplying the red, otherwise the old red is going to show through as a darker area. Happy restoration. Michel.

September 28th, 2011, 2:27 pm #5

Mike -- Thanks. Good Idea. n/t

September 28th, 2011, 5:56 pm #6

do you need any decals? I have some AM spares I could give you if interested. Email me please if you want to know what I can offer.
Last edited by RedSteveSDMB on September 28th, 2011, 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

September 28th, 2011, 7:29 pm #7

I was thinking about asking for something here on HS. I don't think i even have a spare sheet of kit decals to put on anyway !! Thanks for the offer, George

September 28th, 2011, 7:58 pm #8

Email me at bluemodel13@gmail.com. I sent one to you via aol. but it was returned. Thanks for your kind offer, George

September 28th, 2011, 8:51 pm #9

email sent George!