Resin improvement set for Monogram 1/48 Skyraider on the way.

March 14th, 2018, 11:16 am #1

A couple days ago I posted in Plane Trading a list of my resin improvement sets for various models that I make. One responder asked about a replacement cowl for the Monogram Skyraider in 1/48? I did some research and did find the task an interesting one. To that end, I have a couple of different Skyraider kits coming to me. Once I have my paint and resin encrusted fingers on them, I will begin mastering not just a replacement cowl for the Monogram, but a host of other valuable improvements for it. The goal to get those unopened kits out of the storage rooms of modelers the world over and get them front and center on the work bench. I want to thank the guys that responded with offers to send me loaner kits to create this. As usual, Hyperscalers are the best!

Awesome! I will be your first customer

March 14th, 2018, 12:25 pm #2

Awesome! I will be your first customer
yea...yea....yea...yea....yea...

titan1401@aol.com

Good. We need it.

March 14th, 2018, 12:25 pm #3

A couple days ago I posted in Plane Trading a list of my resin improvement sets for various models that I make. One responder asked about a replacement cowl for the Monogram Skyraider in 1/48? I did some research and did find the task an interesting one. To that end, I have a couple of different Skyraider kits coming to me. Once I have my paint and resin encrusted fingers on them, I will begin mastering not just a replacement cowl for the Monogram, but a host of other valuable improvements for it. The goal to get those unopened kits out of the storage rooms of modelers the world over and get them front and center on the work bench. I want to thank the guys that responded with offers to send me loaner kits to create this. As usual, Hyperscalers are the best!
As long as you're at it, see if you can make it fit the ESCI/AMT/Italeri AD-4 as well. You can double your sales, as there are a buttload of those sitting around unbuilt, too. And it has the smallest cowling of the four available kits.

The Matchbox AD-5's cowling is almost large enough in diameter, but has shape problems at the front end.

I'll try to think of what else I could use for Skyraiders. All that comes to mind at the moment is minigun pods and the 750-pound nape cannisters.

If you could come up with a (cheap) way to un-armor the fuselage, that could be useful too. Now you either have to sand all that off and re-scribe, or lay out a bunch of money for whole fuselage halves. Maybe you can find a way to do JUST the forward portion of the fuselage in resin, splitting at some natural panel line or something.

Oh, the sonobouy pod with a clear (searchlight) nose cap. Would love to have a couple of those.

Early ordnance pylons would be a nice option...

March 14th, 2018, 12:30 pm #4

and could be cross-fitted to the Tamiya kit as well (for those who want to invest the effort to backdate that kit to an AD-1/2/3/4). I'll second Snake's suggestion of an unarmored fuselage, but that might be a severe pain in the *** to try and master.

Lynn

I'll have a look into that armor feature issue

March 14th, 2018, 1:17 pm #5

All great suggestions by Snake. Right off the bat I can see in addition to the cowl issue, the kit pylons with better underwing stores, and repositionable control surfaces, and kit seat improvements. Once I have the kits I need I will look at the possibilty of molding new fuselage halves. But I will have to consider cost. I like to keep my sets affordable for all. And stay focused on the big run, outclassed kits that have been put away as better kits have been released.

Excellent!

March 14th, 2018, 1:38 pm #6

Excellent!

I'll say it again: inexpensive U-2A/C cockpit/etc.

March 14th, 2018, 1:43 pm #7

All great suggestions by Snake. Right off the bat I can see in addition to the cowl issue, the kit pylons with better underwing stores, and repositionable control surfaces, and kit seat improvements. Once I have the kits I need I will look at the possibilty of molding new fuselage halves. But I will have to consider cost. I like to keep my sets affordable for all. And stay focused on the big run, outclassed kits that have been put away as better kits have been released.

AD-4W Conversion...

March 14th, 2018, 2:48 pm #8

with separate control surfaces, early cockpit.

areva
Last edited by areva on March 14th, 2018, 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wing folds..

March 14th, 2018, 2:55 pm #9

How about a set of wing folds?

The wing is set up to be folded, after they are cut, but the parts need more detail.

Scott
CNJC-IPMS

^^^ THIS is a fantastic idea, Kevin!

March 14th, 2018, 3:31 pm #10

The ancient (released in 1959, maybe?) Hawk/Testors U-2 could use a decent drop-fit cockpit- nothing too fancy, but there's literally NOTHING in there currently. This would be a great idea, if you're up for it.

Lynn