Removing Chrome???

Removing Chrome???

May 12th, 2009, 11:42 pm #1

Does anyone have a recipe for removing chrome plating AND the underlying gloss coat? In the past, I've successfully used Castrol Super Clean as well as household bleach to remove the chrome. But in both cases the underlying gloss coat remained and I've been only partially successful at removing it by soaking in brake fluid. FWIW, the kits are from Revell/Monogram, AMT, Model King, and Polar Lights.

Thanks in advance!

Best Regards,

John

Jim Mc
Jim Mc

May 13th, 2009, 12:00 am #2

is caustic enough to eat through paint and gloss lacquer.

May 13th, 2009, 1:49 am #3

Does anyone have a recipe for removing chrome plating AND the underlying gloss coat? In the past, I've successfully used Castrol Super Clean as well as household bleach to remove the chrome. But in both cases the underlying gloss coat remained and I've been only partially successful at removing it by soaking in brake fluid. FWIW, the kits are from Revell/Monogram, AMT, Model King, and Polar Lights.

Thanks in advance!

Best Regards,

John
You can get it at Mal-Wart, most auto supply stores, etc. Soak it until you're happy with the results. Scrub and rinse. AND USE GLOVES to handle.

So run you cur. And tell the other curs the law is coming. You tell 'em I'm coming! And Hell's coming with me you hear! Hell's coming with me!

May 13th, 2009, 3:57 am #4

Thanks in advance!

Best Regards,

John
Thanks guys!

The Wesley's is no problem. Are there any specific oven cleaner form favored? Does the more recent less toxic and better smelling stuff work as well as the older/nastier stuff?

Best Regards,

John

May 13th, 2009, 3:12 pm #5

Always, always try it out on some unimportant piece before you commit fully. Melted blobs of plastic are hard to paint.

So run you cur. And tell the other curs the law is coming. You tell 'em I'm coming! And Hell's coming with me you hear! Hell's coming with me!

May 13th, 2009, 4:06 pm #6

Thanks guys!

The Wesley's is no problem. Are there any specific oven cleaner form favored? Does the more recent less toxic and better smelling stuff work as well as the older/nastier stuff?

Best Regards,

John
At least in this case. Just spray the stuff outside. Its not that big of a deal unless you are in a confined area concentrating the spray into a plastic tub.

May 17th, 2009, 6:30 pm #7

Spray it on, then put in ziplock bag. (again go outside) nt

Bob
Bob

May 21st, 2009, 2:36 am #8

Thanks in advance!

Best Regards,

John
nt

Phil
Phil

May 23rd, 2009, 11:49 pm #9

Spray it on, then put in ziplock bag. (again go outside) nt
The plastic was fine, not melted ect. I just used some cheap dollar store spray oven cleaner and in like 5-10 minutes, chrome all gone, Thanks!