Regarding Dana Bell's Recent Lou IV Article

Regarding Dana Bell's Recent Lou IV Article

April 5th, 2018, 9:26 pm #1

I have a question regarding Dana Bell’s recent article about “Lou IV” and the blue v. green controversy. By no means do I want to reopen the overall color question. Rather, and for the purposes of this particular conversation only, let’s just stipulate that the spine color was blue. So with that in mind:

1) Since the object was to hide the upper surface invasion stripes, would it be reasonable to assume that at some point early on, only that portion of the spine was blue with the rest of the fuselage and wings in natural metal? Similarly, would it be reasonable to assume that at that same juncture, the upper wing bore blue paint only over the invasion stripes?

So to cut to the chase – and again, the blue/green argument notwithstanding – would it be reasonable to depict a model of Lou IV early in its life with only a blue spine and blue upper wing patches over NMF? Or am I missing something logically or photographic evidence that shows otherwise?

Thanks for any constructive thoughts!

Kevin

April 5th, 2018, 9:44 pm #2

surfaces.

But still note the black scallops at the wing root. Not sure when applied and why.

"At some point the 361st added camouflage to all upper surfaces. Perhaps the source of blue paint had dried up, perhaps the unit decided green was a more appropriate upper surface camouflage – in any event the tops of outer wing panels and stabilizers, along with portions of the vertical tail, were painted either OD or possibly RAF Dark Green. In some cases the blue surfaces might have been overpainted too, though Lou IV certainly kept both colors. This black and white image shows a tonal difference outboard of the overpainted wing stripes, and again at the wingtip. (The color images above suggest that the wingtips may have been painted blue on this aircraft.
Steven “Modeldad” Eisenman

'Storm's A-Comin' Baby'

April 6th, 2018, 10:33 am #3

I have a question regarding Dana Bell’s recent article about “Lou IV” and the blue v. green controversy. By no means do I want to reopen the overall color question. Rather, and for the purposes of this particular conversation only, let’s just stipulate that the spine color was blue. So with that in mind:

1) Since the object was to hide the upper surface invasion stripes, would it be reasonable to assume that at some point early on, only that portion of the spine was blue with the rest of the fuselage and wings in natural metal? Similarly, would it be reasonable to assume that at that same juncture, the upper wing bore blue paint only over the invasion stripes?

So to cut to the chase – and again, the blue/green argument notwithstanding – would it be reasonable to depict a model of Lou IV early in its life with only a blue spine and blue upper wing patches over NMF? Or am I missing something logically or photographic evidence that shows otherwise?

Thanks for any constructive thoughts!

Kevin
Hi Kevin,

Under my working theory, those aircraft with blue would have that color only on the upper invasions stripes at some time. The real question is, when did Lou IV gain its nicknames and oversized yellow markings. I suspect the name was there, but I'd love to see all four of the spotters' notebooks...

Cheers,

Dana

April 6th, 2018, 11:28 am #4

Thanks Steve and Dana; I wondered how the nose art and yellow cowling might figure into a depiction of an "all blue" time period. And a quick follow up question for Dana regarding your theory, please?

In the time period of the famous Lou IV photos featured in your article - that is, with green painted wing upper surfaces - do you speculate the wing invasion stripe painted-over area is still blue despite the rest of the wing being green?

Thanks much for your research work!

kc

April 8th, 2018, 12:27 pm #5

He said some that may have been blue were painted over, but not Lou. You can see the different tones on the wings of Lou in one picture.
Steven “Modeldad” Eisenman

'Storm's A-Comin' Baby'