Recommendations for a 5-6 year old that LOVES airplanes...

Recommendations for a 5-6 year old that LOVES airplanes...

March 20th, 2017, 9:19 pm #1

The question below got me thinking about what would be an appropriate starter kit for a 5-6 year old (my grandson)? He is wicked smart, but has limited vision due to nystagmus.

Last edited by Ghostmech on March 20th, 2017, 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

March 20th, 2017, 9:24 pm #2

Any new 1/72 Airfix aircraft kit or Bandia Mechas

March 20th, 2017, 9:42 pm #3

The question below got me thinking about what would be an appropriate starter kit for a 5-6 year old (my grandson)? He is wicked smart, but has limited vision due to nystagmus.
Example:
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=pl ... sacat=1188

March 20th, 2017, 9:49 pm #4

Any new 1/72 Airfix aircraft kit or Bandia Mechas
May not be the best for a really young kid. They can be very complex (individual working fingers with working knuckles) etc. and, while they are posable, they are very fragile and definitely not a toy

March 20th, 2017, 10:00 pm #5

Mostly big pieces, fit together easily, don't look half bad finished out of the box. Look ideal for kids to me.

March 20th, 2017, 10:26 pm #6

Still cheap from Scalehobbyist.com:
https://www.scalehobbyist.com/catagorie ... ly&man=HBB

I have a whole box left over from one of my classes. I can send a couple kits out--lemme know what you...errr...he likes.

March 20th, 2017, 10:47 pm #7

Is an airplane and star wars NUT. I've been feeding him about once or twice a month the Star wars snap kits from Revell, he LOVES them, has taken them apart and put them back together many times. He's also done a number of Pegasus 1:48 aircraft, and a number of the Revell pre painted snap tite kits. He needs a little help with the smaller parts, but he has been able to do much of the assembly himself. He's also done a number of the snap car kits.

I know ALOT of us have slammed Revell for their snap star wars kits, but after watching him, and the play factor involved, I definitely understand their target audience, he has a blast with them.

Charlie
Builder of clean 3 footers, and the occasional 1 footer...

March 21st, 2017, 5:04 am #8

easy build planes. they have a bit of a cartoon look to thme which should attract children of many ages.lol here is the B-17 over at Sprue https://store.spruebrothers.com/product_p/mngmkp001.htm
all of teh above suggestions would work BTW..
hope he catches the fever....
Viper730

March 21st, 2017, 12:36 pm #9

Fun, fast and easily recognizable.