Received Trumpeter 1:700 QUEEN ELIZ yesterday

Received Trumpeter 1:700 QUEEN ELIZ yesterday

January 19th, 2012, 3:35 am #1

All I can say is that it is spectacular and worth every penny.

Dave
Dave

January 19th, 2012, 3:47 pm #2

Hi Jeff
Are you building the kit soon?
If so, could you let us know how you get on.
Do the parts fit together alright.
Hope you enjoy the kit.

David

January 19th, 2012, 9:42 pm #3

Test fitting indicates no trouble. Weather decks fit like a dream. Bow, above and underwater, almost razor thin. This kit shows Trumpeter has mastered Dragon's slide mold technology. Only major flaw was the molding of the 15-in rifles, which have throwback to '60's huge French ticklers on their muzzles and clunky contouring. The aftermarket vultures will love this, otherwise, they will weep, because of the overall high quality. Excepting the guns, this kit stands out because of the remarkable scale fidelity. Usually 1:700 ship models are rife with over scale parts, and look busy but silly. This baby will look all business. The only let downs are the photo etch turret ladders, which are ridiculously thick, and the tube frames over the mouths of the funnels. No photo etch in the universe can get the scale appearance of ladders in 1:700. The tiny (siren?) platform below the spotting top was done as a massive pizza box, but the part is not integral to the fore leg of the foremast. Just don't use it. Left out the yards on the fore topmost. Two jack stays on the mainmast wrong. Leave out one. I am traveling so I do not have access to the 1:192 Roberts' 1918 QE plans. Can't really comment on how well ship matches them, but I am confident it will do very well. Funnels molded in one piece! Breakwaters ahead of 6-in batteries are photo etch. You can throw out the expensive, clunky, and inaccurate White Ensign QE.

The hull and some parts trees are hand-wrapped in padding to prevent shipping damage. A very interesting touch by Trumpeter.

Gets my vote for best 1:700 scale ship model of the year. Hope the 1916 WARSPITE will not be far behind. A 1916 W in 1:350 would be sweet.

Dave
Dave

January 20th, 2012, 3:28 pm #4

Jeff
Thank you for all the info.
Sounds a great kit.

HMS Warspite is a favourite of mine as my Great Uncle George served on her during WW2.
I've found letters her wrote to my Grandfather, were he refers to her as
"this wonderful ship"
From what other members say, The Academy Kit 1/350 WW2 version is a good kit as well.

Enjoy!!!!

David

January 22nd, 2012, 10:05 am #5

I would like to build a 1940 WARSPITE.

Dave
Dave

January 22nd, 2012, 12:40 pm #6

Hi Jeff
I think he was serving around 1943, as my nan told me that he was onboard when the German remote-control bomb struck the ship.
He lost all his belongings and came home to see my Grandad.

If I can help.
I have the Anatomy of the Ship "Warspite" if its helps.
I think the 1/600 scale Airfix Warspite is modelled on the 1940 version, although it's a bit long in a tooth now, but with care can be brought up to an good model.
I did see an excellent model of this kit on the White enign Web-site