Reason to have bicycle mechanic freinds

Reason to have bicycle mechanic freinds

July 6th, 2012, 12:44 am #1

I work turning wrenches at a bike shop. Last month I was being walked through my first overhaul of a Fox suspension fork. When the time came to throw out the seals, I noticed the springs that hold the seals to the sliders.

They're very tight little springs. When you cut them to break the loop, they're still to springy but, when you add a piece of wire, they become positionable and you get some great 1/32 oxygen hoses!

About one fork a month gets overhauled and the seals are just thrown out. A little adult-beverage-based encouragement should keep you in springs for a while.

Sorry the images aren't the best; neither is the macro on my digital

July 6th, 2012, 3:43 pm #2

guitar strings. Thanks for sharing this Rick. I am an avid guitarist as well as modeler and I save the excess strings for the same purpose when I put a new set on. The first 2 strings (E & B) are not wound, but the 3rd thru 6th strings are. Based on the overall gauge of the strings, I can get some good looking O2 hoses from the 3rd and 4th strings, but they can be a little tough to get to the correct shape and stay put. I might have to go by the bike shop and get some seals and try your method.