Really old decal removal

Really old decal removal

May 18th, 2012, 5:27 am #1

is there a product or technique that I could use to remove decals that are 20 years old, yellowed and won't come off by scraping or with tape? Additionally, I'd like to not have to repaint the model if I can avoid it!

Any help appreciated!

Mike Wilson

Lihue, Kauai

May 18th, 2012, 6:47 am #2

You could try soaking a cotton rag or cotton ball in decal solvent and letting it sit on the decal for a while, might soften it some so you can scrape it off. Of course if you've clearcoated over the decal you may be out of luck unless you can remove it.

Might want to use a pin to poke holes in the decal so the solvent can soak under it.

May 18th, 2012, 12:00 pm #3

is there a product or technique that I could use to remove decals that are 20 years old, yellowed and won't come off by scraping or with tape? Additionally, I'd like to not have to repaint the model if I can avoid it!

Any help appreciated!

Mike Wilson

Lihue, Kauai
Submerge the entire model in warm water for as long as it takes to loosen them n/t

May 18th, 2012, 12:40 pm #4

Any help appreciated!

Mike Wilson

Lihue, Kauai
The decals may have been covered by a transparent top coat. If that is the case, the only option may be to strip, repaint and re-apply new decals. (I have an old Hasagawa 1/72 P-47D Razorback I built 30 years ago - had a white tail and wing leading edges - gloss coated, followed by the decals and a final coat of dull coat - several years later I was dusting it and noticed the white areas had yellowed very badly - it's still that way cause it's easier to build and finish a new one that to redo the old one)

May 18th, 2012, 12:52 pm #5

Any help appreciated!

Mike Wilson

Lihue, Kauai
This stuff will remove them. It will also affectt the paint/finish however. If you're removing decals I imagine you plan on repainting as well anyway though.

I just completely stripped a Collect Aire 1/48 Grumman Guardian and also used it to remove decals from a very old (like 50's era) manufacturer's display model of a Douglas F3D Skyknight. God knows how long those decals were in place! It took a little more work but I got those off and it's ready for a "re-do".

Good stuff, it'll do the job.
Andrew White

May 18th, 2012, 6:47 pm #6

Any help appreciated!

Mike Wilson

Lihue, Kauai
Thanks everyone,

The model hasn't been clear coated so I'm going to try the paper soaked in solvent