Reaching the point of saturation... F-4 WIP.

Reaching the point of saturation... F-4 WIP.

March 2nd, 2012, 1:31 am #1

Pun intended. Update on the F-4; it seems as though this thing was started eons ago (only 18 months actually). It ended up on the shelf of doom for about 16 of those. Then, in a fit of rage, I picked it up again following a satisfactory diorama endeavour. Work recommenced in earnest: the cockpit was already done, fuselage and wings attached, and the beast of a task of cutting away the internal wing spar in the aft section to accommodate the Aires exhaust nozzles.

So when I re-attacked this project, I said to myself that it should be a pretty straightforward conclusion... merely the painting and finishing, which are usually my favourite aspects. Not to be. The voices told me that it should sling a full load of ordnance: bombs, MERs, TERS, a jammer, and some Sparrows.

So now, I've just finished cleaning the excess pastel wash (which I first read about here!), and I'm happy with the results thus far. Next will come cleaning the wash from the landing gear and pylons, then onto the ordnance.

The bombs are already painted and clear-coated, as are the missiles and jammer. Just a matter of weathering them, and painting and finishing the drop tanks. I was contemplating going over the panel lines with Smoke, but **** that noise! I want this done so I can tackle my Nieuport and Mosquito!

[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

March 2nd, 2012, 1:40 am #2

I think its looking pretty good as is!

March 2nd, 2012, 1:40 am #3

Pun intended. Update on the F-4; it seems as though this thing was started eons ago (only 18 months actually). It ended up on the shelf of doom for about 16 of those. Then, in a fit of rage, I picked it up again following a satisfactory diorama endeavour. Work recommenced in earnest: the cockpit was already done, fuselage and wings attached, and the beast of a task of cutting away the internal wing spar in the aft section to accommodate the Aires exhaust nozzles.

So when I re-attacked this project, I said to myself that it should be a pretty straightforward conclusion... merely the painting and finishing, which are usually my favourite aspects. Not to be. The voices told me that it should sling a full load of ordnance: bombs, MERs, TERS, a jammer, and some Sparrows.

So now, I've just finished cleaning the excess pastel wash (which I first read about here!), and I'm happy with the results thus far. Next will come cleaning the wash from the landing gear and pylons, then onto the ordnance.

The bombs are already painted and clear-coated, as are the missiles and jammer. Just a matter of weathering them, and painting and finishing the drop tanks. I was contemplating going over the panel lines with Smoke, but **** that noise! I want this done so I can tackle my Nieuport and Mosquito!

[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

n/t

March 2nd, 2012, 1:58 pm #4

[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

... What's the problem?
Finish that bad boy!!!

Oh, by the way, I'm glad I'm not the only one using the Brother P-Touch to label all my drawers!

We stole the eagle from the Air Force, the anchor from the Navy, and the rope from the Army.
On the seventh day while God rested, we overran his perimeter, stole the globe, and we've been running the whole show ever since.

Semper Fi, Don
“Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.”
- Ronald Reagan

Semper Fi, Don
Luke: 22:36

March 2nd, 2012, 3:25 pm #5

it's just that when I think about all that's still left to be done, it seems like it never ends. Still have to paint the fuses on all the bombs, the boarding ladder, helmets to go on the canopy sills, ejection handles on top of the seats, stripes on the missiles, and finally build a base with tarmac to park it on. The bombs, pitots and landing gear are all getting RBF flags too. Speaking of which, does anyone know where, if there was one, the ground safety pin went on the tail hook assembly?

Thinking of including an MJ-1 with a power unit I think I have stashed away somewhere. This means I have to build a base with a section of tarmac.

I wish I had calculated how many man hours I've put into this thing. It's got to be somewhere around 100.

March 2nd, 2012, 8:00 pm #6

[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

Matt, how did you get the lower-aft fuselage panels behind the A/B's to look like that? I recently did a couple of RF-4B's for someone, and that area didn't look like yours!

March 2nd, 2012, 9:53 pm #7

As I described in a previous post last week; after applying the camo colours to the airframe, I masked around the area in question, and sprayed MM Primer. Then, sprayed Alclad Magnesium. Then, I masked (with Tamiya Tape again)around the concave portions behind each AB nozzle (underneath the tail, so to say), and sprayed Alclad Jet Exhaust. After letting everything dry overnight (to be safe), I removed the masks, and applied thin, irregular beads of Micro Mask along all the panel lines of the "metallized" areas. Once that dried, I misted Alcald Pale Burnt Metal. Once dry, I pulled off the Micro Mask and was left with that effect. The same technique was used on the exposed titanium areas of the stabilators.

From examining photos of real F-4s, I found that the goldish areas (replicated by the shade Pale Burnt Metal) spread out to points close to panel lines, but not on the joints. This variation in discolouration is likely due to the fact that those portions of the titanium which were in contact with the formers underneath went through different heating and cooling cycles than those area with nothing underneath (likely from the dissipation of heat to the underlying formers and stringers). Thus, those areas not riveted to the sub-frame (between the panel lines) took on a different colour than those along a panel line due to the lack of residual heat emanating from the sub-frame after engine shut down. Did I explain that correctly? I'm not sure that my explanation is very scientific, but from 6 years working on fighters, I found that after shut-down, the formers inside the fuselage were warmer to the touch than the surrounding skin.
Last edited by Kriegmeister23 on March 2nd, 2012, 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.