re: The Yorktown (CV-5)...

re: The Yorktown (CV-5)...

April 18th, 2012, 8:37 pm #1

The mention of a new 1/700 Yorktown below scratches an itch with me. I would love to do a 1/350 Yorktown. I bought copies of the original ships drawings from the General Services Administration many years ago with a view to maybe tackling a 1/192 scale scratchbuild and had the model drawings underway when I hit the real problem. Yorktown's light anti-aircraft configuration at the time of Midway is not recorded.
During W.W.II the shipyards were swamped with repair/upgrade work and keeping the ship's drawings up to date took a backseat to expediency. When a ship was worked on they sent a photographer around with a couple of rolls of film to take pictures of the changes and figured they would update the drawings when the draftsmen had the time. If the ship was subsequently lost, they didn't bother. That's the story with CV-5. The original drawings are updated thru Feb., 1940. That's it. They still show only the original 24 .50 Cal Browning AA guns, not radar, no splinter shields around the guns, none of that, nada, zip.
There are a couple of photographs, reputedly taken by the ships chaplan, of all people, that show the 20 mm gun tub under the flight deck at the bow, and one that clearly shows some 20 mm's on one side gallery. The 20 mm's were added in a hurry at Pearl during the rushed repairs after Coral Sea and the idea to replace the .50s with 20 mm was only partially achieved. One of the Chaplain's photos taken during the Battle clearly shows that at least one gallery of .50s were still in place.
Unless There are some as yet unreleased pictures from Ballard that might give some more information we are left hanging on much of theis detail.

Bill Shuey

April 19th, 2012, 5:01 pm #2

Now that you mention it Bill, I don't remember seeing a lot of (post Dec. 7th 1941) photos of Yorktown. I suspect she was less photographed than her sisters for some reason.

April 19th, 2012, 8:21 pm #3

n/t

April 20th, 2012, 3:02 am #4

The mention of a new 1/700 Yorktown below scratches an itch with me. I would love to do a 1/350 Yorktown. I bought copies of the original ships drawings from the General Services Administration many years ago with a view to maybe tackling a 1/192 scale scratchbuild and had the model drawings underway when I hit the real problem. Yorktown's light anti-aircraft configuration at the time of Midway is not recorded.
During W.W.II the shipyards were swamped with repair/upgrade work and keeping the ship's drawings up to date took a backseat to expediency. When a ship was worked on they sent a photographer around with a couple of rolls of film to take pictures of the changes and figured they would update the drawings when the draftsmen had the time. If the ship was subsequently lost, they didn't bother. That's the story with CV-5. The original drawings are updated thru Feb., 1940. That's it. They still show only the original 24 .50 Cal Browning AA guns, not radar, no splinter shields around the guns, none of that, nada, zip.
There are a couple of photographs, reputedly taken by the ships chaplan, of all people, that show the 20 mm gun tub under the flight deck at the bow, and one that clearly shows some 20 mm's on one side gallery. The 20 mm's were added in a hurry at Pearl during the rushed repairs after Coral Sea and the idea to replace the .50s with 20 mm was only partially achieved. One of the Chaplain's photos taken during the Battle clearly shows that at least one gallery of .50s were still in place.
Unless There are some as yet unreleased pictures from Ballard that might give some more information we are left hanging on much of theis detail.

Bill Shuey
...in his Classic Warships title on that ship - which is a really wonderful book. When she had her big turreted guns removed - the photos in Steve's book that he uncovered of that massive operation are priceless - and had the many one-inch AA mounts added, if any good photos were taken they haven't surfaced. So soon after, both those great ships gone. That must have been a terrible blow.

April 23rd, 2012, 2:00 am #5

curious as to how removing the big guns might have effected her balance or was she too big for it not to matter.

I assume carriers are built to counter the bridge, etc,being top heavy on starboard.

In removing the big guns, did they have to make other modifications to the port side to make everything true again?

April 24th, 2012, 6:18 pm #6

Bill Shuey
Bill,

You are shopping in the wrong store! Go here and scroll down to Gordon's drawings.
http://www.shipmodels.info/mws_forum/vi ... 46&t=12986

Mike