RC-135S Cobra Ball - WIP - Part XVI

RC-135S Cobra Ball - WIP - Part XVI

March 8th, 2012, 7:29 pm #1

Hi to all friends,
it's quite a long time since my last post on this subject, here is a small update .

Wings leading edges taxi/landing lights - while test fitting the kit transparent part it falled inside the wing and according to Murphy Law I never recovered it - so I returned to scratch building, third attempt yelded an acceptable result (I skip the unsuccessful details).

the component are: a small styrene block, a couple of very mall "strass" glass and small plexiglas blok .

H

Here the light module is in place on wing leading edge

here the plexiglas block was filed to shape and polished

At the moment I'm facing 2 more problems : a proper smoothing of the top rear fuselage joint in the area of the strenghtening strips and the rescribing of the engines auxiliary blow-in doors on the front cowlings, 3 different attempts failed .

This explains the delay in posting updates .

That's all for tonight !!!!

Alberto

Alberto Accumolli

G.M.B. BRANZACK

March 8th, 2012, 8:39 pm #2

which i consider a pretty significant milestone!!

Something i stumbled upon totally by accident: Ted Taylor mentioned when he was building his KC-135 kits was that he thought the engine pods fit the wings better when the left and right sides were swapped. If its not too late, can you check the fit and see if it makes a difference? The pods are already glued onto my A-Model and its too late for me.

BTW- i did almost exactly the same thing you did with the lights in the leading edge.

Keep it coming!!

best,

david

March 8th, 2012, 9:34 pm #3

Hi to all friends,
it's quite a long time since my last post on this subject, here is a small update .

Wings leading edges taxi/landing lights - while test fitting the kit transparent part it falled inside the wing and according to Murphy Law I never recovered it - so I returned to scratch building, third attempt yelded an acceptable result (I skip the unsuccessful details).

the component are: a small styrene block, a couple of very mall "strass" glass and small plexiglas blok .

H

At the moment I'm facing 2 more problems : a proper smoothing of the top rear fuselage joint in the area of the strenghtening strips and the rescribing of the engines auxiliary blow-in doors on the front cowlings, 3 different attempts failed .

Alberto

Alberto Accumolli

G.M.B. BRANZACK
...Still get you there!

More fine work... As Dave pointed out, it's nice to see the wings attached.

We stole the eagle from the Air Force, the anchor from the Navy, and the rope from the Army.
On the seventh day while God rested, we overran his perimeter, stole the globe, and we've been running the whole show ever since.

Semper Fi, Don
“Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.”
- Ronald Reagan

Semper Fi, Don
Luke: 22:36

March 8th, 2012, 10:43 pm #4

which i consider a pretty significant milestone!!

Something i stumbled upon totally by accident: Ted Taylor mentioned when he was building his KC-135 kits was that he thought the engine pods fit the wings better when the left and right sides were swapped. If its not too late, can you check the fit and see if it makes a difference? The pods are already glued onto my A-Model and its too late for me.

BTW- i did almost exactly the same thing you did with the lights in the leading edge.

Keep it coming!!

best,

david
Thank you for the info David,
frankly speaking I assembled the 4 engines and eliminated the hump on the pilons leading edge were present but I didn't care about left or right, when I'll install the engines pods I'll choose the best fitting combination .
At the moment the biggest problem is to rescribe the auxiliary air inlet doors on the engine front cowlings, till now I made 3 attempts but all failed !!!!!

Bye

Alberto

Alberto Accumolli

G.M.B. BRANZACK

March 8th, 2012, 10:54 pm #5

Hi to all friends,

H

Alberto

Alberto Accumolli

G.M.B. BRANZACK
That is going to look really great when done. love the updates and keep up the awesome work friend

Cheers Brian

Starfighters forever !

March 8th, 2012, 10:58 pm #6

...Still get you there!

More fine work... As Dave pointed out, it's nice to see the wings attached.

We stole the eagle from the Air Force, the anchor from the Navy, and the rope from the Army.
On the seventh day while God rested, we overran his perimeter, stole the globe, and we've been running the whole show ever since.

Semper Fi, Don
Hi Don,
glad to hear from you !!! - you missed some steps, I installed thr wings a long time ago but I had to face 3 problems that delayed my progress : the wings landing/taxing lights and that is now solved as you can see above .
Second the smoothing of the rear-upper fuselage joint in the area of strenghtening strips is unsatisfactory and I've to found a way to improve it .
Third I've to found a way to correctly rescribe the auxiliary air inlet doors on the engines front cowlings, I cannot use the standard masks because interfere with the pilons, till now I tryed 3 times and different approachs but failed to get a neat result .....
Any suggestions ?????

Ciao

Alberto

Alberto Accumolli

G.M.B. BRANZACK

March 8th, 2012, 11:07 pm #7

That is going to look really great when done. love the updates and keep up the awesome work friend

Cheers Brian

Starfighters forever !
It's still "a long way to Typperary" but I'll solve these problems sooner or later .

Moreover I share the work between the RC-135S and the T-50, the latter is nearest to finish after I get rid of more than 150 decals, mostly very small !!!!!!

I've seen you reopened your personal Starfighter production line ....... I'm awaiting the new subjects !!!!

Thank you and Bye

Alberto

Alberto Accumolli

G.M.B. BRANZACK

March 9th, 2012, 3:37 am #8

Hi to all friends,

H

Alberto

Alberto Accumolli

G.M.B. BRANZACK
Alberto, i'm in the same boat as you. My original thought was to use .010 styrene strip, but another thing i thought of would be to lay down a straight strip of plastic tape (dymo??) along the edges where the bands "fade out" and build up new strips using something like Mr. Dissolved putty. You would have to do only one strip at a time- maybe plan on doing one a day or one every other day, but that might work. I'd try it on my -135A, but its in storage and is not a high priority item.

Maybe its worth doing just one that way, and seeing how it turns out.

d-bot

March 9th, 2012, 4:32 pm #9

You know, what is really needed for all 72nd C-135 modelers is for someone to do a sheet of .010 laser-etched sonic fatigue straps. Glue the kit fuselage halves together, sand off all the molded in straps, putty smooth seams and surfaces, and glue on individual straps which would look so much more realistic and sharper in detail on the skin. Reconstructing sanded straps on the top and bottom of the fuselage across the seams strikes me as a wasted effort having been there and done that. Okay, my rant is over and I feel better. . . . . .

Nice work though Alberto. Do you plan on putting in a fuselage spotlight to illuminate the wing leading edges?

cheers,
ChinaClipper
(who worked on the 'Ball!)

ChinaClipper

March 9th, 2012, 5:13 pm #10

Alberto, i'm in the same boat as you. My original thought was to use .010 styrene strip, but another thing i thought of would be to lay down a straight strip of plastic tape (dymo??) along the edges where the bands "fade out" and build up new strips using something like Mr. Dissolved putty. You would have to do only one strip at a time- maybe plan on doing one a day or one every other day, but that might work. I'd try it on my -135A, but its in storage and is not a high priority item.

Maybe its worth doing just one that way, and seeing how it turns out.

d-bot
A fellow (RC-135) builder suggested sanding down the aft end to remove the seam line, then use regular copy paper super-glued to replicate the straps.

ChinaClipper