RC-135S Cobra Ball - WIP - Part XV

RC-135S Cobra Ball - WIP - Part XV

December 1st, 2011, 12:03 am #1

Just another small update on this project of mine (some pics already appeared here on Plastic Pics in a "special" for a Friend)

Detailed the upper wings sections that make the roof of main landing gears bays .

Assembled the upper wings panels, it was a long work in order to assure proper alignement .

No filling needed at the upper wings/fuselage joints .

Here are the main landing gears bays

At this point a Friend warned me the exhausts for the 2 air cycling machines just in front of the main gear bays on the fuselage belly were missing - AMT got the RC-135 kit from their previous KC-135 but forgot to double the air cycling machines air inlets and exhausts - the single exhaust present is also wrong because it appears as a poor grille representation .

Equipped with my Friend's info's I opened up 2 rectangular opening using Dremel micro-mill in the proper positions .

The to represent the rectangular duct of the exhausts I made a sort of U channel pieces .

Inserted the U channels into the openings and glued them in proper position .

The excess of plastic was cut off and the joint smoothed, the U channels were painted metallic steel

The wheels set detailed (thread grooves), flattened, painted and weathered .

The missing from the kit wing tips navigation lights scratchbuilt and installed .

Now a long panels rescribing session awaits me (I hate this task) to restore the fuselage panels and the engines panels were I made some specific templates from a very thin brass sheet because the standard Tritool templates cannot be put into the proper positions .

That's all for to-night !!!

Many thanks for looking and any comment/suggestion/critique well appreciated .

Alberto Accumolli

G.M.B. BRANZACK

December 1st, 2011, 12:20 am #2

That's what the guys in the Boeing aircraft assembly union will call this, unless you join them!

Excellent attention to detail and skills! I'm enjoying this!

December 1st, 2011, 12:44 am #3

Just another small update on this project of mine (some pics already appeared here on Plastic Pics in a "special" for a Friend)

Detailed the upper wings sections that make the roof of main landing gears bays .

Assembled the upper wings panels, it was a long work in order to assure proper alignement .

At this point a Friend warned me the exhausts for the 2 air cycling machines just in front of the main gear bays on the fuselage belly were missing - AMT got the RC-135 kit from their previous KC-135 but forgot to double the air cycling machines air inlets and exhausts - the single exhaust present is also wrong because it appears as a poor grille representation .

Equipped with my Friend's info's I opened up 2 rectangular opening using Dremel micro-mill in the proper positions .

The to represent the rectangular duct of the exhausts I made a sort of U channel pieces .

The excess of plastic was cut off and the joint smoothed, the U channels were painted metallic steel

The missing from the kit wing tips navigation lights scratchbuilt and installed .

Now a long panels rescribing session awaits me (I hate this task) to restore the fuselage panels and the engines panels were I made some specific templates from a very thin brass sheet because the standard Tritool templates cannot be put into the proper positions .

Alberto Accumolli

G.M.B. BRANZACK
As usual Alberto, your high standards are being kept. Nice save on the new duct work.

We stole the eagle from the Air Force, the anchor from the Navy, and the rope from the Army.
On the seventh day while God rested, we overran his perimeter, stole the globe, and we've been running the whole show ever since.

Semper Fi, Don
“Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.”
- Ronald Reagan

Semper Fi, Don
Luke: 22:36

December 1st, 2011, 4:09 am #4

Alberto Accumolli

G.M.B. BRANZACK
Your work is really amazing, always love your progress updates Cant wait to see more up dates !

Starfighters forever !

December 1st, 2011, 11:33 am #5

Alberto Accumolli

G.M.B. BRANZACK

December 1st, 2011, 1:10 pm #6

Alberto Accumolli

G.M.B. BRANZACK
Closed up the wells look very realistic.

December 1st, 2011, 2:07 pm #7

Alberto Accumolli

G.M.B. BRANZACK
Bel lavoro Alberto!

Saluti

Giampiero

December 1st, 2011, 2:56 pm #8

Alberto Accumolli

G.M.B. BRANZACK
added all these very nice details on your model. You're more patient than me Alberto. Ciao amico mio.

Serge Dompierre
Frog and Canuck and proud to be

December 1st, 2011, 6:23 pm #9

Alberto Accumolli

G.M.B. BRANZACK
Alberto,

A super update again, love to see this one ready, but also like it to see you build it.

Pieter

December 1st, 2011, 7:54 pm #10

That's what the guys in the Boeing aircraft assembly union will call this, unless you join them!

Excellent attention to detail and skills! I'm enjoying this!
Alberto Accumolli

G.M.B. BRANZACK