Radar question

Radar question

April 8th, 2012, 5:57 pm #1

What was the name of the radar found on the chin of the Wellington bomber?

Yes, I've asked the question before but do you think I can remember the answer? (self-deprecating eyeroll emoticon inserted here along with a joke about beginning to become forgetful)

And this time a couple follow on questions as well:
What was the capability of the radar?
Is there a 1/48 resin kit of it?
How did everything fit internally?

Here's where I'm going with the whole matter: I'd love to put that type of radar on a spurious B-17 build to be included in a fictional Defense of the Pacific Northwest-like backstory.

Thanks for the info and/or links.
Daryl J.

April 8th, 2012, 6:17 pm #2

ASV III, centimetric radar designed to give the Germans no warning on their Metox gear n/t

April 8th, 2012, 8:15 pm #3

Last edited by GiampieroSilvestri on April 8th, 2012, 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

April 8th, 2012, 8:51 pm #4

ASV III used a 3cm wavelength, if memory serves me right.

I'm not a plastic kit builder. I'm a styrene butcher.
I'm not a kit builder. I'm a styrene butcher.

April 8th, 2012, 10:36 pm #5

April 9th, 2012, 12:45 am #6

Yes, I've asked the question before but do you think I can remember the answer? (self-deprecating eyeroll emoticon inserted here along with a joke about beginning to become forgetful)

Here's where I'm going with the whole matter: I'd love to put that type of radar on a spurious B-17 build to be included in a fictional Defense of the Pacific Northwest-like backstory.

Daryl J.
the ASV III is the best bet, though.

The capability was that it had 50 KW power, and a 100mm (10cm) wavelength. This was about 3 Gigahertz, at the top of the UHF band, bottom of Super-High Frequency (SHF).

The higher the frequency, the better the resolution. The ASV III could see a periscope or snorkel of a submerged U-Boat. At night. In the fog. Higher frequency, shorter wavelength, also is more directional, as you can use a full-wavelength dish antenna which can be carried on an airplane.

The gee-whiz technology was the development of the magnetron amplifier, which could handle this high power at this high frequency.

As a comparison, the British Chain Home Radar was at 20-30 MHz, about 12 meter wavelength, which is why they often couldn't tell a gaggle of Heinkels from a swarm of Messerschmitts.

HTH

Jim

Retirement is so great, I don't know why I didn't start 20 years ago.
Not everything had changed, only the important stuff. - Charles Stross

April 9th, 2012, 10:55 pm #7

Daryl J.
+