RAAF fighter pilots gear circa 1978?

RAAF fighter pilots gear circa 1978?

April 20th, 2011, 8:50 pm #1

G'Day,

I'm about to start work on the Kinetic 1/32 F-86 with the Hamilton Hobbies Avon conversion, and was hoping to get some advice as to what figure I might use for a RAAF fighter pilot figure correct circa 1978?

Although the CAC Avon sabres were looooong out of service by '78 - an ex-RMAF (ex-ex RAAF...) example was restored by the RAAF techs at Butterworth, and test flown on the Malaysian civil register by a RAAF Mirage pilot. This is the very aircraft that was returned to Australia and is now flying at Temora today...

The reason I have a particular interest in modelling this sabre circa '78 is that my father - who was a RAAF LAC education assistant at the time was on the Butterworth flightline watching this test flight... And I was in hospital across the water in Penang having been born 2 days prior :-D

Pretty cool!

Any wisdom/advice on a suitable aircrew figure?

Cheers,

Aaron

April 21st, 2011, 11:34 am #2

Aaron,

RAAF pilots in 1978 wore a flying suit in a light green, similar to Humbrol 78. The G suit would have been a similar color. Flying helmet were standard gloss white. Rank badges on the shoulders, name badge on the left (or right) chest and 'course' badges on the upper arms.

Hope this helps

Ryan Hamilton