RAAF 'Black Cat' PBY5-A(M) Catalina

RAAF 'Black Cat' PBY5-A(M) Catalina

Joined: October 8th, 2008, 4:14 am

July 15th, 2012, 11:00 pm #1

This is my conversion from the Algernon BigBird US PBY-5A (amphibian) to a RAAF PBY-5A(M) pure flying boat (ie no undercarriage as a means of saving weight and extending range).
These RAAF planes were very successful at dropping mines in far away Japanese shipping lanes and ports.
Using the 'Owl' resin and PE set (from Ebay) this conversion is set to go!

Firstly the fuselage had to be pulled apart as one of the blister semi-circular walkways was upside-down! Then all green interior parts were glued in (detail painting will be later). The front turret had to be put back in at this stage as it is 'trapped' in a recess to allow it to turn but not come out.
The new exhausts were glues on after sanding to ensure a good fit.
The centre section glued on and the outer wings attached using CA on the tabs and Humbrol putty on the mating edges to fill the slight gap. The excess putty was wiped off before it dried and the gap filling remains are seen in the picture.
Firsty a base coat of Silver (Tamiya) was sprayed. I wanted to know what the original colours were prior to repainting in Black but couldn't. I thought that a layered effect (Silver to represent bare metal then original camouflage) showing through the worn Black paint would look good but then realised during the 1500hour taken to convert these planes they probably removed the old paint anyway as a weight saving measure (that was why they were doing the conversion in the first place)!
Once dry I used cotton buds soaked in water to rub away at the aeas I wanter to fade and chip.
The Black paint both rubbed off a bit and so thinned as well as came off in small pieces. Any hard object like a scalpel, tweezer ot nail easily removed the Black paint. I had to be careful to not overdo it, and in a couple of place had to repaint the Black where too much came off.
A coat of Polltscale flat finish matts everything down and adds a slight faded look as well.
Smoke and white ashe from MIG were added for the exhaust stains.
Radar aerials are from the Owl set and the rear wheel dolly was made up from the PE set too but I forgot to include a picture of it!
I used Lifcolor's Tensocrom Rust 1+2, Fuel and kerosene to add further detailing and weathering.
The antennas are EZline.
The pitot will be replaced with a 23fg hypodermic needle.

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]


Regards
Peter
www.petersplanes.com
Last edited by pbhawkin on July 15th, 2012, 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: March 6th, 2005, 3:23 am

July 16th, 2012, 7:27 am #2

nm
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: June 20th, 2007, 6:59 pm

July 16th, 2012, 6:48 pm #3

This is my conversion from the Algernon BigBird US PBY-5A (amphibian) to a RAAF PBY-5A(M) pure flying boat (ie no undercarriage as a means of saving weight and extending range).
These RAAF planes were very successful at dropping mines in far away Japanese shipping lanes and ports.
Using the 'Owl' resin and PE set (from Ebay) this conversion is set to go!

Firstly the fuselage had to be pulled apart as one of the blister semi-circular walkways was upside-down! Then all green interior parts were glued in (detail painting will be later). The front turret had to be put back in at this stage as it is 'trapped' in a recess to allow it to turn but not come out.
The new exhausts were glues on after sanding to ensure a good fit.
The centre section glued on and the outer wings attached using CA on the tabs and Humbrol putty on the mating edges to fill the slight gap. The excess putty was wiped off before it dried and the gap filling remains are seen in the picture.
Firsty a base coat of Silver (Tamiya) was sprayed. I wanted to know what the original colours were prior to repainting in Black but couldn't. I thought that a layered effect (Silver to represent bare metal then original camouflage) showing through the worn Black paint would look good but then realised during the 1500hour taken to convert these planes they probably removed the old paint anyway as a weight saving measure (that was why they were doing the conversion in the first place)!
Once dry I used cotton buds soaked in water to rub away at the aeas I wanter to fade and chip.
The Black paint both rubbed off a bit and so thinned as well as came off in small pieces. Any hard object like a scalpel, tweezer ot nail easily removed the Black paint. I had to be careful to not overdo it, and in a couple of place had to repaint the Black where too much came off.
A coat of Polltscale flat finish matts everything down and adds a slight faded look as well.
Smoke and white ashe from MIG were added for the exhaust stains.
Radar aerials are from the Owl set and the rear wheel dolly was made up from the PE set too but I forgot to include a picture of it!
I used Lifcolor's Tensocrom Rust 1+2, Fuel and kerosene to add further detailing and weathering.
The antennas are EZline.
The pitot will be replaced with a 23fg hypodermic needle.

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]


Regards
Peter
www.petersplanes.com
Nice Cat, I don´t buyed this Cafereo Big bird(since I had the Minicraft kit)
closing the landing gear bay and adding the other style was very nice.
I build one minicraft kit and had some troubles with delicate parts of landing gear.
chipping the black paint with scapel to shown the natural metal ...wow is for strong heart guy... a little more and you hit the plastic... I read some technics as salt..or using silver pencil..
and I known..black painting is hard...sometimes you do several shades of grey,black.. and so you need put a gloss coat(before decals) and you lost the effect...
well I still need build the E14 Y... but needs make the float struts..and I´m without primer..here..
Quote
Like
Share