RA-5C Vigilante Conclusions

RA-5C Vigilante Conclusions

October 16th, 2011, 7:08 pm #1

I read a lot of the controversy years ago when the Trumpeter kit came out. Did they really get the nose dimensions that wrong? Did Cutting Edge actually fix the issues? I have recently re-reviewed all the kit reviews and all the opinions. What I did not see is anyone measuring the real aircraft to draw their conclusions. I decided the best way to figure out the truth was to go to the source. So, I drove down to PAX River yesterday (3.5 hours each way) armed with a plumb bob and tape measure. They have a real, live RA-5C sitting in the museum there. I measured it.

I measured six key distances on the real RA-5C.

<ol>[*]Width of the Nose Cone</li>[*]Fuselage Width at the Front of the Forward Canopy</li>[*]Fuselage Width at the Front of the Rear Canopy</li>[*]Length of the Forward Canopy</li>[*]Length of the Rear Canopy</li>[*]Overall Length from the Nose Cone to the Front of the Nose Wheel Well (without the Pitot)</li>[/list]
Then made the same measurements on the Trumpeter and Cutting Edge pieces. The following table outlines my findings.
<table border="1" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="3"><tr><td align="center" width="50"> </td><td align="center" width="100">Real RA-5C</td><td align="center" width="100">Trumpeter</td><td align="center" width="100">Cutting Edge</td></tr><tr><td align="center">1</td><td align="center">34.5"</td><td align="center">36.0"</td><td align="center">38.5"</td></tr><tr><td align="center">2</td><td align="center">43.5"</td><td align="center">47.5"</td><td align="center">47.0"</td></tr><tr><td align="center">3</td><td align="center">48.0"</td><td align="center">49.9"</td><td align="center">49.4"</td></tr><tr><td align="center">4</td><td align="center">65.0"</td><td align="center">64.8"</td><td align="center">60.0"</td></tr><tr><td align="center">5</td><td align="center">55.0"</td><td align="center">55.2"</td><td align="center">52.3"</td></tr><tr><td align="center">6</td><td align="center">222.0"</td><td align="center">221.5"</td><td align="center">211.2"</td></tr></table>
It is clear to me from these measurements that Cutting Edge is not the right size. Trumpeter is actually closer to the real size in every measure except #2 and #3, and Cutting Edge is only half a scale inch better in those, anyway. Cutting Edge may have the "double-bubble" crease in the canopy line, but their overall size is off. I believe this is likely from resin shrinkage as the resin cured. For about the same work to integrate the Cutting Edge pieces into the kit, I can just add the "double-bubble" crease in the canopy line myself and have more correct nose dimensions.

Right or wrong, this is the direction I intend to go as I build my Vigilante.

<font size="5" face="Brush Script MT" color="#0000C0">
DWA

Happiness is NOT ... Getting what you want.
Happiness is     ...     Wanting what you've got.
</font>

October 16th, 2011, 7:58 pm #2

I really appreciate you taking the time, effort, and money to do this. Your measurements confirm what I've felt all along - that Trumpeter didn't muck it up as badly as first thought.

October 16th, 2011, 8:32 pm #3

I read a lot of the controversy years ago when the Trumpeter kit came out. Did they really get the nose dimensions that wrong? Did Cutting Edge actually fix the issues? I have recently re-reviewed all the kit reviews and all the opinions. What I did not see is anyone measuring the real aircraft to draw their conclusions. I decided the best way to figure out the truth was to go to the source. So, I drove down to PAX River yesterday (3.5 hours each way) armed with a plumb bob and tape measure. They have a real, live RA-5C sitting in the museum there. I measured it.

<ol>[*]Width of the Nose Cone</li>[*]Fuselage Width at the Front of the Forward Canopy</li>[*]Fuselage Width at the Front of the Rear Canopy</li>[*]Length of the Forward Canopy</li>[*]Length of the Rear Canopy</li>[*]Overall Length from the Nose Cone to the Front of the Nose Wheel Well (without the Pitot)</li>[/list]
Then made the same measurements on the Trumpeter and Cutting Edge pieces. The following table outlines my findings.
<table border="1" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="3"><tr><td align="center" width="50"> </td><td align="center" width="100">Real RA-5C</td><td align="center" width="100">Trumpeter</td><td align="center" width="100">Cutting Edge</td></tr><tr><td align="center">1</td><td align="center">34.5"</td><td align="center">36.0"</td><td align="center">38.5"</td></tr><tr><td align="center">2</td><td align="center">43.5"</td><td align="center">47.5"</td><td align="center">47.0"</td></tr><tr><td align="center">3</td><td align="center">48.0"</td><td align="center">49.9"</td><td align="center">49.4"</td></tr><tr><td align="center">4</td><td align="center">65.0"</td><td align="center">64.8"</td><td align="center">60.0"</td></tr><tr><td align="center">5</td><td align="center">55.0"</td><td align="center">55.2"</td><td align="center">52.3"</td></tr><tr><td align="center">6</td><td align="center">222.0"</td><td align="center">221.5"</td><td align="center">211.2"</td></tr></table>
It is clear to me from these measurements that Cutting Edge is not the right size. Trumpeter is actually closer to the real size in every measure except #2 and #3, and Cutting Edge is only half a scale inch better in those, anyway. Cutting Edge may have the "double-bubble" crease in the canopy line, but their overall size is off. I believe this is likely from resin shrinkage as the resin cured. For about the same work to integrate the Cutting Edge pieces into the kit, I can just add the "double-bubble" crease in the canopy line myself and have more correct nose dimensions.

DWA

</font>
and nice leg work.

Were you able to get the side profile dimensions and compare them as well? Also, what of the spine?

Mike V

"I am a "Realist". I see and call things as they are, not how I want them to be."

Some people just don't get it - "apologist

October 16th, 2011, 9:05 pm #4

DWA

</font>
for this extraordinary effort and information !!

I have the kit in the stash as a very special gift from a friend. Too many WIP's to start it yet.

This "double-bubble" crease in canopy --- What is that about and how will you do the correction ? Thanks again, and Happy modeling, George

October 16th, 2011, 10:34 pm #5

DWA

</font>
Dave, Thanks for the excellent info on the Vigi. There is nothing like first-hand comparisons, and you have done an invaluable service for the rest of us modelers. I just wish I had this info when I did my Trump kit.

I did the Trump RA-5C (48th) using the excellent info from Mr. Fotios Rouch's on-line build. As others have mentioned, the Trump kit has its problems, but it can be built into a pretty nice model. I used aftermarket decals and interior PE set for this build:

[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
Last edited by 66018 on October 16th, 2011, 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

October 16th, 2011, 11:33 pm #6

DWA

</font>

October 17th, 2011, 12:17 am #7

DWA

</font>
I still don't think Trumpeter got the "look" right though. The measurements are one thing, but the 3D "look" is something else entirely. Like the Monogram A-26 Invader, it just doesn't look like the airplane it's supposed to represent. Hard to quantify, but real none the less.

Great effort!

October 17th, 2011, 1:09 am #8

DWA

</font>
I may as well put this image up, too. This is the side-up comparison of the two forward fuselage sections.

Differences:
  • First, they did add the "crease" in the canopy line, although the image above does not show this. Their replacement canopies and fuselage reproduce the "double-bubble", as their instructions call it. However, the amount of crease that they actually added is subject to not being enough, depending on which review you want to believe.</li>
  • Second, they INCREASED the width at the nose cone to make a more chunky look of the nose when viewed from above (red lines in the image above). Trumpeter narrows the nose more, giving the model a pointier look. The difference in width is about 0.040". My trouble was, I could not find a picture of a Vigilante from straight above or below to now which of these planforms is right. My trip to PAX resolved this issue.</li>
  • Third, they molded the nose with the refueling probe bay closed. This is one of the "extras" of the Trumpeter kit that I really could do without. The Trumpeter pieces do not fit well in the closed position (how I want it built), so I have to go to some extra work to clean up the closed kit refueling bay. Having Cutting Edge mold it closed was a plus to me.</li>
  • Next, they used engraved scribing on their pieces, but the feel of the scribing differs from that of the kit pieces. Cutitng Edge did not include all the rivot detail found on the rest of the airframe. I have read the rivots are not accurate, but to match the new nose, I was going to have to fill all the rivots all over the airframe. I was not looking forward to doing this.</li>
  • Lastly, they reduced the overall length of the forward fuselage by over ten scale inches. I think this could be a byproduct of resin shrinkage as it cured. Note the black alignment lines in the pictures above and how they get more and more out of alignment as you progress out the nose. It may be intentional, though. The replacement canopies are also considerably smaller than the kit ones, leading me to wonder if the length change was intensional. As my measurements proved, the Trumpeter nose and canopies are the right lengths.</li>

DWA

</font>
Last edited by DWAungst on October 17th, 2011, 1:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

October 17th, 2011, 5:10 am #9

DWA

</font>
When Dave Klaus see your Cutting Edge remarks, he will blackball you from purchasing from Meteor Productions!!!!
Right Milt,,,,,,,,

If the Enemy is in sight,,,,So are You!

October 18th, 2011, 12:55 am #10

Sticks and stones may break your bones but words will not hurt UNLESS you get blackballed

However, a BAD divorce will break you and bust your cajones at about the same time

Rick