Quick Hurricane question....AOKGB

.

Quick Hurricane question....AOKGB

Joined: February 1st, 2012, 11:45 pm

March 3rd, 2012, 11:24 pm #1

Guys,

forgive my ignorance, but bear with me. Should the Hurri for the group build have the ventral fillet before the tail wheel? I'm going to be using the kit decals for AL@K, as I don't have any others, but is this right? Reason for asking is that last trip to see my local Vulcan bomber, I happened on a chance purchase of 10 or so Airfix magazines, the April 1964 one has some Hurri conversions in by Alan Hall, and this involves getting rid of the ventral fillet for a MK1. Now I daresay I could look at numerous pics on the internet etc, but most pics don't show that area that clearly, and I have gone through the couple of Hurri books that I have, and I can't reach a proper conclusion. Sorry for being a bit thick here - help!!

Also, other than replacing the exhausts on the kit with either aftermarket or bits from the spares box, what are you doing to make the exhausts look a bit better? I'm not sure what to do here, I've looked at a few things to try and make them better, but just wondered what you guys were planning on doing. I might even get radical and make some new ones, but if anyone has any suggestions to save the effort, that would be gratefully received.

Good bit of news however, my daughter came downstairs with the Hawk (nice red plane) that we got her at Telford, and wants to have a go at building it tomorrow....hopefully it'll turn out a bit better than the Hunter she built at Telford in November.....

Cheers,

Eddie
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: July 8th, 2008, 10:57 am

March 3rd, 2012, 11:56 pm #2

was on introduced on all Hurricanes starting in 1938. Only the prototype and the very early machines (which was not a lot) lacked it. These all had the 2-blade propeller. The ventral fin was to correct a spin problem.

Stuart
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: April 6th, 2009, 9:10 pm

March 4th, 2012, 12:21 am #3

You might want to cut a groove around the exhaust. I also hear there is a paint method that someone else used. Try a search.

I was clean,shaved and sober and I didnt care who knew it.
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: February 1st, 2012, 11:45 pm

March 4th, 2012, 12:34 am #4

was on introduced on all Hurricanes starting in 1938. Only the prototype and the very early machines (which was not a lot) lacked it. These all had the 2-blade propeller. The ventral fin was to correct a spin problem.

Stuart
That's really put my mind at rest.

Belated congats on the Granddaughter. Best thing about Grandkids is that they actually take notice of you and you tend to get through them in the way you wanted to with your own kids....or so my Dad tells me. Hopefully it'll be a good few years before I have that experience (eldest is only 10), but looking forward to it one day.

Thanks again,

Eddie
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: February 1st, 2012, 11:45 pm

March 4th, 2012, 12:38 am #5

You might want to cut a groove around the exhaust. I also hear there is a paint method that someone else used. Try a search.

I was clean,shaved and sober and I didnt care who knew it.
I'll have a look. To me though they look too much of a lump. I've spent the past few days drilling out the exhausts on some MK1 Spitfires, and they look so much better. I know the shape is a bit different, but the shape of the old tool Hurri just seems a bit better to my untutored eyes.

Let's see what happens.

Cheers,

Eddie
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: April 6th, 2009, 9:10 pm

March 4th, 2012, 1:54 pm #6

That's really put my mind at rest.

Belated congats on the Granddaughter. Best thing about Grandkids is that they actually take notice of you and you tend to get through them in the way you wanted to with your own kids....or so my Dad tells me. Hopefully it'll be a good few years before I have that experience (eldest is only 10), but looking forward to it one day.

Thanks again,

Eddie
Im not trying to spend your money but if youre really unhappy with the exhausts I would suggest picking up the Academy MkII. Here in Canada it can be found for $12. Usable parts are cockpit sidewalls (a bit square maybe),seat(with a little shaping),floor (in a pinch), stick, pedals, i/p, wheels, tailwheel(a bit different I know but ok in 1/72), intake, oil cooler,exhausts, prop blades,spinner (reshaped), ailerons,tailplanes, rudder etc etc. Simon cut out his exhausts which prompted me to do the same. It really was easy. I used the Academy exhausts and reshaped them as there is enough plastic to carve them up. The only parts left over would be fuselage and wings. A lot cheaper than the average resin or photo etch sets.

I was clean,shaved and sober and I didnt care who knew it.
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: February 1st, 2012, 11:45 pm

March 5th, 2012, 1:16 am #7

...not sure but looking at others, I think my 'zausts are a bit short shot..there isn't really much of the tubular bit sticking out from the kidney, if that makes sense.

Now, I'm not a perfectionist by any stretch of the imagination, and I considered filing down the stumps and putting some sort of tube there, and squaring it off in profile to get it to look about right.

Let's see what happens...if I can find one of those hollow plastic lolly sticks in the kids sweets stash, with a bit of heat stretching, who knows.

If possible I want to stick to as old school as I can here, that is as always the challenege.

Of course, I'll let you know how I get on, and once i've figured how to shrink pictures, there might even be some of those.

Cheers,

Eddie
Quote
Like
Share