Questions for car modelers from an aircraft guy out of

Questions for car modelers from an aircraft guy out of

May 27th, 2012, 11:41 pm #1

his element. I am building a 1/48 P-39 Thompson Trophy racer, which was finished in gloss chrome yellow. Normally all my a/c are sprayed in semi-gloss or flat paint then Futured , decaled, Futured, flat coated etc, etc.
My questions which I am posting here as you folks do gloss finishes and may have some advice:
I am planing to shoot the model with gloss chrome yellow and apply the decals over the gloss finish. I will use Testors gloss enamels and after giving the paint adequate time to cure completely and applying decals. Will Micro Set/Sol or Solvaset have any effect on the cured Testors gloss paint?
To seal the decals I am thinking of applying some Future coats with my airbrush then polishing out the Future with 12000 micro mesh to blend in the decals. Has anyone had any problems with spraying Future over an already glossy surface and having it orange-peel or pebble up on the gloss surface?
I am hesitant to apply Testors Hi-Gloss as it has a very amber color and I think it would tend to turn the yellow finish too brown over time. For obvious reasons I am also hesitant to apply any other lacquer gloss coats over the enamel and decals.
Any comments are certainly appreciated, TIA, Pat Donahue

May 28th, 2012, 1:42 am #2

As long as the paint is cured it should be no problem.I used Microset and microsol on this '71 Cuda and there were no problems. AS for The Future it should go on like glass and polishing should not be necessary. [/IMG]

May 28th, 2012, 1:45 am #3

I airbrushed straight Future onto this '68 Firebird and it came out great! [/IMG]

May 28th, 2012, 2:54 am #4

his element. I am building a 1/48 P-39 Thompson Trophy racer, which was finished in gloss chrome yellow. Normally all my a/c are sprayed in semi-gloss or flat paint then Futured , decaled, Futured, flat coated etc, etc.
My questions which I am posting here as you folks do gloss finishes and may have some advice:
I am planing to shoot the model with gloss chrome yellow and apply the decals over the gloss finish. I will use Testors gloss enamels and after giving the paint adequate time to cure completely and applying decals. Will Micro Set/Sol or Solvaset have any effect on the cured Testors gloss paint?
To seal the decals I am thinking of applying some Future coats with my airbrush then polishing out the Future with 12000 micro mesh to blend in the decals. Has anyone had any problems with spraying Future over an already glossy surface and having it orange-peel or pebble up on the gloss surface?
I am hesitant to apply Testors Hi-Gloss as it has a very amber color and I think it would tend to turn the yellow finish too brown over time. For obvious reasons I am also hesitant to apply any other lacquer gloss coats over the enamel and decals.
Any comments are certainly appreciated, TIA, Pat Donahue
If I were building the airplane that you are, I would NOT clear-coat it. It won't look realistic in 1/48.

I'd prime the model in a good flat white such as Floquil Reefer White, then re-prime it in either Floquil Reefer Yellow or Model Master flat Chrome Yellow, and then color/gloss coat it with Model Master Bright Yellow (same color as Chrome Yellow, but glossy, and in the car line), thinned with naphtha for a smooth flow-out. If you're lucky, this will give you a realistic scale gloss but if you get some orange peel, you can easily rub it out with something like silver polish.

In fact, I'm going to be painting a white Bearcat very soon and this is exactly how I'll be doing it (substituting white paints for the yellows mentioned above, of course).

Good luck with your project and let us know how it goes for you.

Steel cuts flesh. Steel cuts bone. Steel does not cut steel. --Stephen Hunter, The 47th Samurai.

We will march on a road of bones. --Hunter S. Thompson.

Sat Cong!

May 28th, 2012, 5:28 pm #5

time and suggestions. Pat D