Question to Vietnam Vets

Question to Vietnam Vets

May 29th, 2012, 2:37 am #1

How do you guys feel about the way they treat our servicemen and women now?

I am still very bitter when I think about how my generation (Vietnam Vets) were treated when they came home.

To see everyone saying "Thanks for your service" To all servicemen whether they served in a war zone or not just upsets me.

We went from Vietnam Vets being spit on to now, when all servicemen are treated like heroes.

Owen

May 29th, 2012, 3:06 am #2

But I didn't like some long haired hippy calling me a 'baby killer'!! Not at all!! But I almost started on that one!!

Also DON'T like those telling our men who DID serve, HOW we should remember our fellow fallen soldiers!! If I want to tell Little Red Riding Hood stories today, so what!!

Not REAL fond of calling ANYONE the "GREATEST GENERATION" either!! We ALL served our country as we were told!! The Greatest Generation didn't let us AND the Korean vets fight!!

Bo Roberts
Above the Best!!

PS: Other than my family, nobody ever told me 'Welcome Home' until about 3 yrs ago. When a fellow modelers did at a Model Show!! I almost broke up!!!
BR
Last edited by jabow1 on May 29th, 2012, 3:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

May 29th, 2012, 5:19 am #3

I had just finished a high power match and was visiting my aunt and uncle. They had the TV on and were watching "Stormin' Norman" and troops march down the streets of New York with our fellow citizens showering them with adulation and gratitude.

Aunt Thora touched my hand and whispered "they're just making up for what they did to you boys". I lost it in spite of the passage of twenty plus years.

I've taken every opportunity to thank ALL our vets and welcome them home.

Welcome home Bo!

May 29th, 2012, 12:53 pm #4

I am still very bitter when I think about how my generation (Vietnam Vets) were treated when they came home.

To see everyone saying "Thanks for your service" To all servicemen whether they served in a war zone or not just upsets me.

We went from Vietnam Vets being spit on to now, when all servicemen are treated like heroes.

Owen
and come home together. When I went to Vietnam, I traveled as an individual, as did most of the personnel entering and leaving the country. That is not to say that we did not travel with other servicemen, just that we were mostly not a unified command.

When I returned to Travis AFB in 1970 and then to San Francisco International Airport for my trip home, I noticed a big difference in how I was viewed by the public. However, once back home in Georgia, I was always made to feel that I was appreciated.

That all seems like ancient history (and it was 43 years ago since the day I arrived in Nam). Now, whereever and whenever I mention that I am a Vietnam Vet or a retired member of the armed forces, I am greeted with "Thanks for serving our country". I do appreciate that as I am sure all who served would agree.

Finally, I think the media of today, while they may not agree with the mission, respect and honor the military men and women.

Donnie

May 29th, 2012, 2:30 pm #5

I had just finished a high power match and was visiting my aunt and uncle. They had the TV on and were watching "Stormin' Norman" and troops march down the streets of New York with our fellow citizens showering them with adulation and gratitude.

Aunt Thora touched my hand and whispered "they're just making up for what they did to you boys". I lost it in spite of the passage of twenty plus years.

I've taken every opportunity to thank ALL our vets and welcome them home.

Welcome home Bo!
Right back at ya!! N/T

May 29th, 2012, 2:45 pm #6

Owen
I don't remember anyone having any trouble other than some SDS calling people baby killers...

bob

May 29th, 2012, 2:52 pm #7

Owen
in Vietnam. I received nothing but respect and positive treatment. Before you get all defensive I KNOW that crap happened but it wasn't as pervasive as many claim; at least I didn't see it. If you had a personal bad experience I'm really sorry that happened to you and those who did it are IDIOTS. Hopefully you'll be able to get over it at some point. One of the so-called reasons to fight in U.S. wars is so that IDIOTS get to make their points and say their piece. .....or so I've been told. That doesn't mean that they know their arse from a knothole though; and above all, ya never have to agree with 'em if you don't want to. JMHO, LL

So a friend says: "cheer up things could be worse; so I cheered up and sure as hell Things Got Worse!

May 29th, 2012, 3:05 pm #8

But I didn't like some long haired hippy calling me a 'baby killer'!! Not at all!! But I almost started on that one!!

Also DON'T like those telling our men who DID serve, HOW we should remember our fellow fallen soldiers!! If I want to tell Little Red Riding Hood stories today, so what!!

Not REAL fond of calling ANYONE the "GREATEST GENERATION" either!! We ALL served our country as we were told!! The Greatest Generation didn't let us AND the Korean vets fight!!

Bo Roberts
Above the Best!!

PS: Other than my family, nobody ever told me 'Welcome Home' until about 3 yrs ago. When a fellow modelers did at a Model Show!! I almost broke up!!!
BR
I'm pretty much exactly with you on this one. After all this time though I'm a little tired of beating up on the jackass "hippies". They were truly irritating but, to me at least, just an idiotic fringe. Lots of people that I respect didn't find the Vietnam War really justified and some of what I saw at the time makes me wonder if they weren't right. All that said I'll bristle any day at anyone who disrespects an American in uniform on "principle". Can't imagine what the hell goes on in some folks minds; do they not understand what that uniform means to their pink butts? It's another story all together but I'm personally very concerned about the so-called ALL VOLUNTEER concept. That's gonna cost us in the long run and I'm not talking about money. Thanks for your service to your country; that's what a real American does! regards, Len

So a friend says: "cheer up things could be worse; so I cheered up and sure as hell Things Got Worse!

May 29th, 2012, 6:29 pm #9

in Vietnam. I received nothing but respect and positive treatment. Before you get all defensive I KNOW that crap happened but it wasn't as pervasive as many claim; at least I didn't see it. If you had a personal bad experience I'm really sorry that happened to you and those who did it are IDIOTS. Hopefully you'll be able to get over it at some point. One of the so-called reasons to fight in U.S. wars is so that IDIOTS get to make their points and say their piece. .....or so I've been told. That doesn't mean that they know their arse from a knothole though; and above all, ya never have to agree with 'em if you don't want to. JMHO, LL

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_ ... _vets.html

"Although Nexis overflows with references to protesters gobbing on Vietnam vets, and Bob Greene's 1989 book <em>Homecoming: When the Soldiers Returned From Vietnam</em> counts 63 examples of protester spitting, Jerry Lembcke argues that the story is bunk in his 1998 book <em>The Spitting Image: Myth, Memory, and the Legacy of Vietnam</em> (click here to buy it). Lembcke, a professor of sociology at Holy Cross and a Vietnam vet, investigated hundreds of news accounts of antiwar activists spitting on vets. But every time he pushed for more evidence or corroboration from a witness, the story collapsed--the actual person who was spat on turned out to be a friend of a friend. Or somebody's uncle. He writes that he never met anybody who convinced him that any such clash took place."

and

"Lastly, there are the parts of the spitting story up that don't add up. Why does it always end with the protester spitting and the serviceman walking off in shame? Most servicemen would have given the spitters a mouthful of bloody Chiclets instead of turning the other cheek like Christ. At the very least, wouldn't the altercations have resulted in assault and battery charges and produced a paper trail retrievable across the decades?"

Seriously, there would have been a lot of punched-out protestors/hippies, if it was widespread.

bob

May 29th, 2012, 6:56 pm #10

met anyone to whom it happened; and I was in a lot of airports with a lot of servicemen during those years. Like a lot of things; people use ammunition that's convenient. And those stories make perfect ammunition for anyone wanting to crow about the military or their own military experience. Did it happen? I simply do not know. If it did I think your suggestion of what might have come next is highly likely. Personally I'd probably just now be getting out of prison had it happened to me; like I said, it never did, not in word form (which I would tolerate) nor in fluid form which I guarantee would have led to immediate violence. cheers, LL