Question regarding Tamiya's 1/48 scale F-16 Pilot

Question regarding Tamiya's 1/48 scale F-16 Pilot

January 1st, 2012, 11:49 pm #1

Gents,

What is the difference in the two pilot helmets included in the kit? I am building a block 25, so do I need to use one helmet over the other? The instructions do not really help.

TIA

Brad

"Max Flex" The key to Naval Success

January 2nd, 2012, 12:04 am #2

Helmet head #4 is the JHMCS helmet, while #5 is the standard helmet. You'll have to check if the F-16 model you're building is a CUPID moded F-16 subject; if so then you can use the kit Pilot JHMCS helmet. Also note if using the JHMCS helmet, you'll need to add an MTU to the left inside canopy frame; not included in the kit.

Mike V

"I am a "Realist". I see and call things as they are, not how I want them to be."

Last edited by ViperEnforcer on January 2nd, 2012, 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

January 2nd, 2012, 5:50 am #3

/

January 2nd, 2012, 6:41 am #4

The joint helmet-mounted cueing system (JHMCS) is a multi-role system that enhances pilot situational awareness and provides head-out control of aircraft targeting systems and sensors.

The MTU is a "Magnetic Tracking Unit" mast on the left cxanopy rail:

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

"Typically" an ANG F-16 that's been through the CUPID upgrade (Combat Upgrade Plan Integration) will usually have JHMCS mod. Also "typically", CUPID upgraded F-16s will have the AIFF upgrade as well, though it's not really part of the CUPID mod.

"I am a "Realist". I see and call things as they are, not how I want them to be."

January 2nd, 2012, 7:27 am #5

Here's the aircraft I plan on doing:

[/IMG]

Would it have had the CUPID upgrade and the JHMCS Helmet?

Brad

January 2nd, 2012, 9:17 am #6

and no, that's not a CUPID or JHMCS upgraded ANG Viper. So you are good with the standard helemt you're planning to use. That also means not LITNING Pod as well.

Mike V

January 2nd, 2012, 3:19 pm #7

[/IMG]

Brad

January 2nd, 2012, 8:02 pm #8

One of the problems with pinning what upgrades certain units had done to their F-16s. Why I was hesitant to say if it had the Core suite avionics upgrade (part of the CUPID upgrade) it may have the AIFF antennas as well, as AIFF is a separate Mod. As per the photo this jet is sporting the Litening pod, but no AIFF. By the Pod alone, it's more than likely CUPID upgraded F-16C; though can't tell if its been JHMCS updated, as I can't see if an MTU mast is installed. On you first photo, there was no MTU mast; why I presumed it was not CUPID updated, though that could be wrong as well. I'd have to see a photo of the cockpit from that time, to really know

Nothing like trying to figure these out for a few photos here and there. BTW, do you have a date or time line for these? I though the F-4 was bad.

Anywho, you're still good with modeling the F-16 in the direction you were headed.

January 2nd, 2012, 9:05 pm #9

The joint helmet-mounted cueing system (JHMCS) is a multi-role system that enhances pilot situational awareness and provides head-out control of aircraft targeting systems and sensors.

The MTU is a "Magnetic Tracking Unit" mast on the left cxanopy rail:

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

"Typically" an ANG F-16 that's been through the CUPID upgrade (Combat Upgrade Plan Integration) will usually have JHMCS mod. Also "typically", CUPID upgraded F-16s will have the AIFF upgrade as well, though it's not really part of the CUPID mod.

Wow...

January 2nd, 2012, 9:20 pm #10

though I think you know it really means not having to be looking down into the cockpit as much, as most of the acft systems information will be in the JHMCS display.