Question on vinyl tire melting

Question on vinyl tire melting

Brian Fendley
Brian Fendley

July 18th, 2011, 6:22 am #1

Years ago I had an AMT release of the Grumman Tigercat with vinyl tires. The nose wheel tire melted (or is that reacted) and damaged some of the parts it was laying on top of.
I have to admit I'm clueless so I'm asking "Do car modelers have the same issues today with vinyl tires as military modelers appear to have?" I remember a long time back as a kid building a car or too and never recalled that occurring.

All the best,
Brian Fendley
JAC Hobbies

July 18th, 2011, 8:03 am #2

Not that I am aware of. N/T

July 18th, 2011, 10:23 am #3

Years ago I had an AMT release of the Grumman Tigercat with vinyl tires. The nose wheel tire melted (or is that reacted) and damaged some of the parts it was laying on top of.
I have to admit I'm clueless so I'm asking "Do car modelers have the same issues today with vinyl tires as military modelers appear to have?" I remember a long time back as a kid building a car or too and never recalled that occurring.

All the best,
Brian Fendley
JAC Hobbies
Not all manufacturers use the same formulas for their styrene so it's not a universal problem. It was AMT that had the most problems. Some old AMT kits will have the problem you described. It's not common in newer kits but still possible. Vinyl tires are usually packaged separately now, but if not you should put them in a plastic bag to prevent the possibility. A good coat of paint or Future will prevent any reaction when building the kit. Acrylics or lacquers will seal the vinyl but enamels will actually draw out the solvents......yuck

CinC Hooterville Air Corps
.....flying top cover for America's hog farms since 1989....

sumus quod sumus

July 18th, 2011, 2:14 pm #4

All the best,
Brian Fendley
JAC Hobbies
Italeri tires (cars and military kits) have been known to melt the sprues.

I have not had tire burn in a Revell or AMT car in a while but its a problem in other brands of kits even today.

Moebius has a Lost in Space kit with rubber tires that melt the plastic parts and I have had a Hobby Boss tank get melted up by the vinyl tracks.

Brian Fendley
Brian Fendley

July 19th, 2011, 4:27 am #5

Not all manufacturers use the same formulas for their styrene so it's not a universal problem. It was AMT that had the most problems. Some old AMT kits will have the problem you described. It's not common in newer kits but still possible. Vinyl tires are usually packaged separately now, but if not you should put them in a plastic bag to prevent the possibility. A good coat of paint or Future will prevent any reaction when building the kit. Acrylics or lacquers will seal the vinyl but enamels will actually draw out the solvents......yuck

CinC Hooterville Air Corps
.....flying top cover for America's hog farms since 1989....

sumus quod sumus
I thought this was not a big issue at least on the auto modeling for a long time. But it does seem to creep up on military aspect often enough in some form such as David Nickels points out to get my curiousity going. I would think manufacturers would have a handle on this after all this time and trial and error.

All the best,
Brian

Brian Fendley
Brian Fendley

July 19th, 2011, 4:33 am #6

Italeri tires (cars and military kits) have been known to melt the sprues.

I have not had tire burn in a Revell or AMT car in a while but its a problem in other brands of kits even today.

Moebius has a Lost in Space kit with rubber tires that melt the plastic parts and I have had a Hobby Boss tank get melted up by the vinyl tracks.
"I have had a Hobby Boss tank get melted up by the vinyl tracks" Oh Great!, I sell Hobby Boss armor kits as well. No issues yet (Knock on wood)........ I guess I better expand into auto models.

All the best,
Brian Fendley
JAC Hobbies

July 19th, 2011, 11:59 am #7

Some of the first Copy Boss kits were armor... I built their 1/48 M4A3E8 Sherman and during the course of construction, I slipped the black vinyl tracks in place over the unpainted suspension. The model sat 3/4 finished for a few weeks while I worked on another kit. After about a month I got back to the Sherman and found the tracks had melted into/stuck to the top of the roadwheels and also to the bottom of the hull sponsons and the hull sides.

September 4th, 2011, 6:07 am #8

All the best,
Brian Fendley
JAC Hobbies
my 1/48 B-1 has rubber tires. IIRC, they are bagged separately. I will not use them when the kit is finally built. I'll either find them in resin or re-cast them in resin myself. The first time you bump into that bone, the tires stay locked-down to the table top and the rest of the plane moves. So somewhere in between there the landing gear (NOT LANDING GEARS) get ripped off the plane.

--Jon