Question on "Vanity" model manufacturing

Question on "Vanity" model manufacturing

July 20th, 2012, 12:13 am #1

Image that you are a billionaire and wanted a certain kit produced that no one else makes.Suppose you approach a company and agree to underwrite the tooling cost and agree to purchase x number of kits.Would the company be willing to do it? I think Trumpeter would be the company to approach because they produce kits of subjects never(or rarely)kitted before.Have there ever been documented cases of an individual (not a company)doing this?The "vanity" reference alludes to the practice of some publishing companies willing to print your book if you pay to have it done.
Last edited by philo426 on July 20th, 2012, 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

July 20th, 2012, 12:18 am #2

July 20th, 2012, 12:37 am #3

Viable option but what if the guy was too busy running his multinational?

July 20th, 2012, 1:06 am #4

Sir Peter Jackson does not sit there every day designing model kits. He employs people to do this at his instructions while he focusses on running his movie business which funds the model offshoot.

Regards

Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia

July 20th, 2012, 1:09 am #5

Image that you are a billionaire and wanted a certain kit produced that no one else makes.Suppose you approach a company and agree to underwrite the tooling cost and agree to purchase x number of kits.Would the company be willing to do it? I think Trumpeter would be the company to approach because they produce kits of subjects never(or rarely)kitted before.Have there ever been documented cases of an individual (not a company)doing this?The "vanity" reference alludes to the practice of some publishing companies willing to print your book if you pay to have it done.
...to design and arrange for production anything a billionaire could afford. And they could use the money.

Now, if you're talking about a whole line of kits, then something like WNW makes more sense.

"Don't take your life too seriously, son. At the end of it, you won't be alive anyway."

Red Skelton's mother

July 20th, 2012, 1:11 am #6

Sir Peter Jackson does not sit there every day designing model kits. He employs people to do this at his instructions while he focusses on running his movie business which funds the model offshoot.

Regards

Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia
He must have some great guys working on WNW!

July 20th, 2012, 2:01 am #7

I would rather rebuild frog, Matchbox and complete the job that hornby has done in saving airfix. I would bring htem all back to the UK an dplace them back where they belong. On top of the industty and I would fight to the last bullet to keep them there.

patron saint of unloved model kits

long live airfix, death to the heretics

July 20th, 2012, 2:04 am #8

Don't need to be no stinking 1% millionaire.

If Jules Bringuier or Ken Lawrence can do it.....

There is no such thing as an unbuildable kit, just some kits one may consider not worth building.

Ive realized that most people ... tend not to be direct when they feel something is shoddy because they want to be liked, "which is actually a vain trait".
[Walter Isaacson's (author of Steve Jobs) recounting of his interview with Jony Ive, Chief Designer at Apple @ page p. 461]

BUY THIS BOOK
http://tinyurl.com/Ididntseeitcoming

July 20th, 2012, 3:26 am #9

's been done....

"Bruce Springsteen? I LOVE him! He's like the American version of Bryan Adams!"

_Robin Sherbotsky

July 20th, 2012, 3:48 am #10

Don't need to be no stinking 1% millionaire.

If Jules Bringuier or Ken Lawrence can do it.....

There is no such thing as an unbuildable kit, just some kits one may consider not worth building.

Ive realized that most people ... tend not to be direct when they feel something is shoddy because they want to be liked, "which is actually a vain trait".
[Walter Isaacson's (author of Steve Jobs) recounting of his interview with Jony Ive, Chief Designer at Apple @ page p. 461]

BUY THIS BOOK
http://tinyurl.com/Ididntseeitcoming
They'd probably be more than willing to take some new mould making tech if you're willing to pay for it.