Question on Trumpeter 1/35 T-54B kit

Question on Trumpeter 1/35 T-54B kit

January 28th, 2012, 5:15 pm #1

Folks,

Not knowing much about the T-54 series differences, I understand that this kit comes with markings for a 1 North Vietnamese T-54 tank:

http://www.squadron.com/ItemDetails.asp?item=TR00338

The below is from this review -http://www.missing-lynx.com/reviews/modern/trumpt55.htm:

MM-00338 Russian T-54B Model 1952

Apart from the starfish wheels, the parts in this kit are the same as for the MM-00340 T-54A Model 1951 though the turret searchlight and several extra fittings are used. Markings and decals cover Syrian with no other details, a mid-green vehicle with white Arabic numerals and turret inscriptions. PAVN 201st Armored Regiment, Dong Ha, April 1972 with the North Vietnamese yellow star in ring on a red disc decal included but not shown in the colour details illustration - this would usually go ahead of the number - plus turret number 395 for a plain green vehicle Chinese in plain green, with red star edged yellow and number 105 for the turret, Former East Germany with just their national insignia for the turret sides The numbers 1-9 twice each for turret numbers are also included but not referred to.

Question - For one with a limited knowledge of the T-54 series, my question is can a "close-enough" PVAN T-54 be built from this kit out of the kit or with some minimal scratchbuilding?

TIA!

Rick

January 28th, 2012, 5:26 pm #2

The A and B kits are probably the same. actually most of their T-54 and T-55 kits are the same or virtually the same. You get a lot of unused parts. IIRC the engine decks are not suitable for a real T-54. The proportions of the suspension are off and the tracks are poor. I built a couple back when the Trumpeter kit was better than Lindberg's T-55, but with the Tamiya kit there is no real reason to even think about the Trumpeter kits. They are just not accurate in any way. You would be better off getting the Tamiya T-55 and a T-54 conversion. Note that the NVA used Chinese Type 59's which are copies of the T-54 but not exactly the same as the T-54.

January 28th, 2012, 6:44 pm #3

Folks,

Not knowing much about the T-54 series differences, I understand that this kit comes with markings for a 1 North Vietnamese T-54 tank:

The below is from this review -http://www.missing-lynx.com/reviews/modern/trumpt55.htm:

Apart from the starfish wheels, the parts in this kit are the same as for the MM-00340 T-54A Model 1951 though the turret searchlight and several extra fittings are used. Markings and decals cover Syrian with no other details, a mid-green vehicle with white Arabic numerals and turret inscriptions. PAVN 201st Armored Regiment, Dong Ha, April 1972 with the North Vietnamese yellow star in ring on a red disc decal included but not shown in the colour details illustration - this would usually go ahead of the number - plus turret number 395 for a plain green vehicle Chinese in plain green, with red star edged yellow and number 105 for the turret, Former East Germany with just their national insignia for the turret sides The numbers 1-9 twice each for turret numbers are also included but not referred to.

Question - For one with a limited knowledge of the T-54 series, my question is can a "close-enough" PVAN T-54 be built from this kit out of the kit or with some minimal scratchbuilding?

TIA!

Rick
also be aware that some of these older Trumpeter kits were made of a plastic designed to withstand rough and tumble motorized play and were impervious to ordinary model glues or liquid cement. I think the prevailing solution was a brand called Ambroid Pro Weld liquid cement.

I started a T-79 (#MM 00317) and I don't think it was worth the glue I was using. Even the old Esci T-55 series kits that used to fill the shelves of closeout stores for $5 were superior to the Trumpeter offering.

RobG

January 28th, 2012, 7:45 pm #4

I am right in the middle of a Trumpter T55 build and it is really horrible compaired to the ESCI and the much better Tamiya kits. But since it was one that was just hanging around and I wanted something Quick and easy to kill time building I started it. Not too quick and easy. Also I fornd that the Testors Liquid glue when used with it gives off really strong almost toxic strong vapors when the plastic is bonding. If you use it be sure to be in a very well vented area.

Rick Reinbott
Rick Reinbott

January 28th, 2012, 8:25 pm #5

Folks,

TIA!

Rick
http://www.track-link.net/gallery/1056

It looks nice and for the cheap price of the Trumpeter kit you still don't think it would be worth it to build?

Rick

January 28th, 2012, 10:16 pm #6

http://www.track-link.net/gallery/1065

I built those kits around 2001, so it was a long time back. I can't say that just as shelf sitters they look horrible. On the other hand they are not shake and bake snap together kits either. They are also motorized so you have the problems associated with that... holes, switches, visible metal axles, holes in the hull sides, screws. One of the Trumpeter kits has wheels that screw onto the axles and you don't get covers. I forget which tank that was...

The kits are molded in ABS plastic so a lot of glues will not work on them. I had to add turret texture, make scratch built cannons (or buy one), etc. A lot of the parts don't fit well and even to build them OOTBish the engine decks need to be sawed apart and reworked. The ugly rubber tracks do not keep paint well and all of the paint flaked off of these kits a short while after they were done. I paid about $15 for my kits so yeah they were cheap...

Honestly, treat yourself to a Tamiya T-55. Once you look over the Tamiya kit you will be glad you did not buy the Trumpeter kit. There are several T-54 conversions available if you want to try to make a Type 59. Honestly, even taking the Tamiya T-55 and painting it in Vietnamese markings it will be more accurate than the Trumpeter kit, even though its not a Type 59/T-54.

Last edited by djnick66 on January 28th, 2012, 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kevin Johnson
Kevin Johnson

January 29th, 2012, 12:05 am #7

The Tamiya kit is the best starting point, as you get a late T-54 hull straight from the box.

Kevin Johnson
Kevin Johnson

January 29th, 2012, 12:08 am #8

also be aware that some of these older Trumpeter kits were made of a plastic designed to withstand rough and tumble motorized play and were impervious to ordinary model glues or liquid cement. I think the prevailing solution was a brand called Ambroid Pro Weld liquid cement.

I started a T-79 (#MM 00317) and I don't think it was worth the glue I was using. Even the old Esci T-55 series kits that used to fill the shelves of closeout stores for $5 were superior to the Trumpeter offering.

RobG
Plastruct Plastic Weld. It's chloroform so it does smell horrible, but it will glue ABS.