Question on painting & attaching PE sequence.

Question on painting & attaching PE sequence.

January 3rd, 2012, 1:01 pm #1

OK, I'm building a few 700-scale (tiny) British late-WWII tug-boats and I wish to add some PE railing (with CA glue) around the top of the deck-house - my first time with PE railing.
Each boat will require 3 colours - a black hull & funnel, a tan deck, and grey deck-house & other fittings (colour accuracy isn't really important).
So, what is the correct application sequence? Paint the whole boat with all of the colours, then apply the painted PE? Or repaint the deck-house with the PE attached? Or attach the PE then paint the boat.
Please advise. TIA. George, out.............

Ed Grune
Ed Grune

January 3rd, 2012, 1:51 pm #2

Some advocate applying unpainted PE to unpainted plastic/resin, then mask & paint. Others advocate painting the various pieces first then glue and touch up. I am in the latter camp.

I paint the deck first. Then I paint the hull & superstructure. Spray upwards from 45 degrees below the deck edge and the hull will mask all but the bottom-most part of the superstructure and leave the decks untouched. Spray the PE on the fret while spraying the superstructure. [Alternatively pre-form the PE, stick it to a loop of masking tape on a card and paint.] Lastly, apply the PE. Touch up any nicks & cracks in the paint with a hand brush. An overall coat of flat will kill the shine from CA

January 3rd, 2012, 4:03 pm #3

masking will be problematic.
I'll follow your plan of deck, hull, deck-house & bits (inc railing), then assemble (inc PE) then touch-up & dull-down.
Thanks again. George, out.............

January 3rd, 2012, 4:37 pm #4

Some advocate applying unpainted PE to unpainted plastic/resin, then mask & paint. Others advocate painting the various pieces first then glue and touch up. I am in the latter camp.

I paint the deck first. Then I paint the hull & superstructure. Spray upwards from 45 degrees below the deck edge and the hull will mask all but the bottom-most part of the superstructure and leave the decks untouched. Spray the PE on the fret while spraying the superstructure. [Alternatively pre-form the PE, stick it to a loop of masking tape on a card and paint.] Lastly, apply the PE. Touch up any nicks & cracks in the paint with a hand brush. An overall coat of flat will kill the shine from CA
There are always exceptions but 95% of the time I do it that way.

Bob Melvin
Bob Melvin

January 4th, 2012, 5:17 pm #5

I generally paint the hull first, then mask the hull and paint the deck. The superstructure I usually build up as sub assemblies and paint as I go. As for the PE, I attach what I reasonably can prior to painting (always with an airbrush), taking into consideration the masking requirements and how well the PE will withstand it. As for the railings and the PE that can't easily be attached, painted with the sub assembly and then masked, I paint that part of the PE on the fret and then attach and touch up.

The main thing is to think your build through before you start gluing parts on. Pre-planning will save you a world of grief later on. What's the old saying? Victory loves preparation.

I hope this helps.

Bob