Question on P-51B "Ding Hao"

Question on P-51B "Ding Hao"

March 13th, 2005, 6:34 am #1

I'm planning on building this ac with this markings. My question is, did the P-51B with the "Ding Hao" marking used a malcom hood. I have the P-51 In Action from squadron which has a pic of the P-51B, in pg 28, but I cannot tell (picture is pretty faded) if this ac used the malcom hood.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks again,

Happy Modeling

Robert <M

March 13th, 2005, 6:57 am #2

In the Histoire and Collections book of the P-51 there is a profile (but no photo) showing a Malcolm hood on Ding Hao (serial # 36315, with 6 Japanese kills, 6 German kills).

Hope this helps,
Ian

March 13th, 2005, 7:24 am #3

"Ninth Airfore in Colour" has a pic of the aircraft with a standard canopy. HTH.

March 13th, 2005, 7:25 am #4

I'm planning on building this ac with this markings. My question is, did the P-51B with the "Ding Hao" marking used a malcom hood. I have the P-51 In Action from squadron which has a pic of the P-51B, in pg 28, but I cannot tell (picture is pretty faded) if this ac used the malcom hood.

Thanks again,

Happy Modeling

Robert <M
Last edited by _BlackHawk_ on March 13th, 2005, 7:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

March 13th, 2005, 7:32 am #5

"Ninth Airfore in Colour" has a pic of the aircraft with a standard canopy. HTH.
nm

March 13th, 2005, 7:36 am #6

Thanks again,

Happy Modeling

Robert <M
This is the one most commonly depicted in art and on decal sheets as it was the one in which he flew his Medal of Honor mission:

March 13th, 2005, 7:41 am #7

nm

March 13th, 2005, 7:58 am #8

Thanks again,

Happy Modeling

Robert <M
In the Squadron In Action book there are two photos of Ding Hao on pg 28, both of which show a Malcolm hood. The photo on the left shows the hood slid back, which only happens with the Malcolm hood. On the photo on the right there is no framing visible on the canopy, again indicating a Malcolm hood.

But as another post shows, Ding Hao also carried a regular canopy. Guess it depends on which you want to model.

Ian

March 13th, 2005, 8:26 am #9

Thanks again,

Happy Modeling

Robert <M
It seems that there were two (or more?) marked similarly. Note also one machine has the white tail band, the other does not. Shrouded and unshrouded exhausts.

One of the referenced photographs shows a serial, 43-6315. The venerable Monogram kit decals (early 70s) had the serial as 43-6374. Not to assume kit instructions are correct but one has to wonder where they got the serial. BTW that kit also included both canopies but only the one serial.

March 13th, 2005, 1:59 pm #10

Thanks again,

Happy Modeling

Robert <M
most P-51B aircraft arrived in theater with the straight canopy. The Malcolm Hood was a British developement, and most Mustangs carrying it had been retrofitted in England. Same applies to white striping. It was added in theater, and the first Mustangs in the 8th flew for a while without them. The stripes were to aid in identification, as at speed, the P-51B bore a resemblance to the Bf-109. As far as serials go, don't trust a kit as old as the Monogram -B as a reference. I personally am looking for a pic of Bud Anderson's "Old Crow" P-51B wearing it's original framed canopy. brgds, Hal