Question on B-17G s/n 232029 483 BG 815th

Question on B-17G s/n 232029 483 BG 815th

April 1st, 2012, 5:37 pm #1

Anyone know if this a/c had a Cheyenne tail gun? This was the last B-17G painted in O/D per SuperScale sheet 72-680. I have the academy B-17G in the primer stage and like the scheme. It had blue cowlings and red tail surfaces.
Last edited by David O. Garcia on April 1st, 2012, 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

April 1st, 2012, 5:46 pm #2

It left Seattle with the standard turret. There is always the possibility it got the Cheyenne turret later on, but at the time it was delivered, even the mod centers in the US weren't installing the Cheyenne turret (which hadn't been invented yet). I believe there were some done in the UK, but not many, as it was a fairly in depth procedure.

April 1st, 2012, 5:59 pm #3

Anyone know if this a/c had a Cheyenne tail gun? This was the last B-17G painted in O/D per SuperScale sheet 72-680. I have the academy B-17G in the primer stage and like the scheme. It had blue cowlings and red tail surfaces.
This is a photo of Miss Treated on a non-combat flight over southern Italy. Jonas Blank was her pilot; Dad was her navigator.

This is a photo of 232044, from the same block as Miss Treated, possibly on the same day (I think the crews were photographing each other). She's the last camouflaged B-17G painted by Boeing (Miss Treated was the 15th to the last Boeing camouflaged B-17G). From then on, the B-17Gs were nmf.

And found this, which should put all conversation to an end.....a picture of the tail guns with gunner James Tucker in the window and the serial ## on the vertical stabilizer.

April 1st, 2012, 6:20 pm #4

It left Seattle with the standard turret. There is always the possibility it got the Cheyenne turret later on, but at the time it was delivered, even the mod centers in the US weren't installing the Cheyenne turret (which hadn't been invented yet). I believe there were some done in the UK, but not many, as it was a fairly in depth procedure.
As always.

April 1st, 2012, 6:31 pm #5

This is a photo of Miss Treated on a non-combat flight over southern Italy. Jonas Blank was her pilot; Dad was her navigator.

This is a photo of 232044, from the same block as Miss Treated, possibly on the same day (I think the crews were photographing each other). She's the last camouflaged B-17G painted by Boeing (Miss Treated was the 15th to the last Boeing camouflaged B-17G). From then on, the B-17Gs were nmf.

And found this, which should put all conversation to an end.....a picture of the tail guns with gunner James Tucker in the window and the serial ## on the vertical stabilizer.

but here your are with photos of the ship and with a direct connection to the crew. How cool is that?

The instructions mention that it ground looped on landing and a hung 500 lb bomb exploded destroying it. Date was Nov 11, 1944.

Unfortunately the kit only provides a Cheyenne turret and I fell for the Super Scale drawing which shows the later tail gun position as well. I'll just have to finish it the way it is.

Thanks for the history and interesting photos.

David

April 1st, 2012, 6:57 pm #6

....and I don't think it will really bother anyone else either. Have fun with it.

April 1st, 2012, 11:13 pm #7

excellent.

April 4th, 2012, 5:57 am #8

The last B-17 to leave the factory (factories) in OD were completed before the Cheyenne turret was invented, so there should be no (zero) B-17s in OD with the later turret (unless turret later field added to what would probably by then be pretty weary OD veteran.)

Means if you are planning an OD Fortress it should (essentially) by definition be the original turret.

Interesting.

I know my grandfather's plane was a Boeing block 30 (B-17G-4231582-BO-30) and was a B-17G prior to the cheek bulges becoming standard.

Always interesting learning more about the ever-changing "standards" of an aircraft's production cycle.

Steve Heeb; Puyallup, WA
In fond memory of Loran B Heeb
"Ol' Scrapiron"
447th BG; Rattlesden England