Question for Jeremy Moore about your great P-51D

Question for Jeremy Moore about your great P-51D

April 16th, 2018, 2:33 pm #1

Hi Jeremy,
I really love the job you did on the P-51D on today's Whats New. Question about the green color on the nose - what brand/type/color paint is that? It's the perfect shade of green for those markings and I'd like to pick up a bottle.

Thank you!

April 16th, 2018, 2:53 pm #2

Honestly I wrestled with this color for quite a while - I couldn’t find anything out of the bottle that was close. I ended up using a mix of Tamiya X-28 Park Green and XF-5 Flat Green at about 3:1.

April 16th, 2018, 4:47 pm #3

n/t

April 17th, 2018, 2:15 am #4

Honestly I wrestled with this color for quite a while - I couldn’t find anything out of the bottle that was close. I ended up using a mix of Tamiya X-28 Park Green and XF-5 Flat Green at about 3:1.
Beautifully done!

April 17th, 2018, 1:23 pm #5

I haven't mixed before - the 3 part is Park Green and the 1 part is Flat Green?

April 17th, 2018, 5:23 pm #6

Hi Jeremy,
I really love the job you did on the P-51D on today's Whats New. Question about the green color on the nose - what brand/type/color paint is that? It's the perfect shade of green for those markings and I'd like to pick up a bottle.

Thank you!
I really like the looks of that kit. Nothing glaringly unique about it anywhere.

With various Mustang kits I try to choose paint schemes that don't accentuate differences between kits, or sometimes even to make good use of its shall we say personality traits, but the Airfix seems to be benignly accommodating to any paint scheme, much like the Tamiya kit that way.

When I decide a certain Mustang doesn't look like any certain kit I can use a Tamiya or Airfix for those.

Nice work on yours Jeremy and I too like the green you mixed.

John
I'm not retro, my stash got old. ~John Krukowski

April 17th, 2018, 5:36 pm #7

Hi Jeremy,

Thank you!
Daddy's Girl in particular? I'm asking because the 359th FG's greens were all over the map.

Ideally it's nice to have a color photo of the aircraft you're doing but if not chances are no one else does either ha ha ha...

Excuse me if you already knew all this.

John

April 17th, 2018, 5:55 pm #8

but I think the color greens are very similar to Daddy's Girl - thought it was really striking how he nailed that weird/off-green color, so wanted to know how he got it because I'll do the same for The Enchantress

April 17th, 2018, 7:03 pm #9

The colors they used for those green and yellow tails were the two shades of zinc chromate primers, according to the article, it's what they had on hand. This was, again according to the article, information from someone who was there.

Can't remember where I saw that and have no idea if it's true or not but you may wanna check into it.

Good luck with your build Jay.

John

April 17th, 2018, 7:22 pm #10

do more research when the time comes (I'm currently in the middle of another build). There IS a model master paint that matches the FS # on the Kagero decal sheet instructions, but to my eye it's much to garish:

https://www.modelcars.com/model-kit/mod ... s14187.jpg
Last edited by jwhangen on April 17th, 2018, 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.