Question as to the color of this French A-24B?

Question as to the color of this French A-24B?

January 13th, 2018, 4:49 am #1

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/75/0b/61/750b ... 865203.jpg

Can anyone identify the color of this A-24B in North Africa? It appears to be either dark green or glossy sea blue. My guess is overall dark green, since it is with the Armee de l'air. Caption says it was taken in Marrakech.

Thanks,
Last edited by 38Chip on January 13th, 2018, 6:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

January 13th, 2018, 3:40 pm #2

Knowing land-based SBDs were fitted with pnuematic tailwheels, it might be an SBD in Glossy Sea Blue. I imagine any A-24s that were around that long had their paint stripped.

As it seems most lend-lease French aircraft of that period served in the schemes in which they were acquired, it’s a challenge to figure out how an A-24 might end up dark green. Would be cool, though. Others probably know more.

January 13th, 2018, 4:27 pm #3

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/75/0b/61/750b ... 865203.jpg

Can anyone identify the color of this A-24B in North Africa? It appears to be either dark green or glossy sea blue. My guess is overall dark green, since it is with the Armee de l'air. Caption says it was taken in Marrakech.

Thanks,
..no carb air intake...Maybe a denavalized machine...????
I agree with Ferdico about gloss sea blue colour..IIRC, the Italeri reboxing of the AccMin SBD5, comes with a few french decal options, and call for sea blue scheme...
Cheers

January 13th, 2018, 6:03 pm #4

Knowing land-based SBDs were fitted with pnuematic tailwheels, it might be an SBD in Glossy Sea Blue. I imagine any A-24s that were around that long had their paint stripped.

As it seems most lend-lease French aircraft of that period served in the schemes in which they were acquired, it’s a challenge to figure out how an A-24 might end up dark green. Would be cool, though. Others probably know more.
http://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-dougla ... 22308.html

Thanks again for your comments sir!

January 13th, 2018, 6:13 pm #5

I agree with Ferdico about gloss sea blue colour..IIRC, the Italeri reboxing of the AccMin SBD5, comes with a few french decal options, and call for sea blue scheme...
Cheers
I will review further. It is defiantly with an Armee d'l'air ship

January 13th, 2018, 9:20 pm #6

Cheers
...after the SBD-4, and so both the SBD-5/6 and the A-24B lack the intake. In fact, the SBD and A-24 are virtually identical. SBDs typically had the hard rubber tailwheels for carrier use, but land-based units swapped them out, adding to our confusion.

The few A-24Bs left at the end of WW ll were stripped to NMF, just like most other USAAF/USAF aircraft. Were they provided to the French, I expect that’s how they would have been delivered.

January 13th, 2018, 10:29 pm #7

http://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-dougla ... 22308.html

Thanks again for your comments sir!
... to see if we can figure this out: Kinzey reports the A-24s didn’t have the arrestor hook, nor its mount, installed.

Land-based SBD units often removed the hook, but the mount remained in place. So I looked again at the image in question. Sure enough, no hook, but the mount appears to be in place, suggesting this one may be a GSB SBD.

Kinzey’s text confirms the Alamy image is an A-24B, based on tail number. Wouldn’t be surprised if the French received a mixed bag of A-24s and SBDs.
Last edited by Ferdico on January 13th, 2018, 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

January 13th, 2018, 11:31 pm #8

Agreed and understood -thanks !!

January 14th, 2018, 12:10 am #9

...after the SBD-4, and so both the SBD-5/6 and the A-24B lack the intake. In fact, the SBD and A-24 are virtually identical. SBDs typically had the hard rubber tailwheels for carrier use, but land-based units swapped them out, adding to our confusion.

The few A-24Bs left at the end of WW ll were stripped to NMF, just like most other USAAF/USAF aircraft. Were they provided to the French, I expect that’s how they would have been delivered.
Nt

January 14th, 2018, 2:46 pm #10

... to see if we can figure this out: Kinzey reports the A-24s didn’t have the arrestor hook, nor its mount, installed.

Land-based SBD units often removed the hook, but the mount remained in place. So I looked again at the image in question. Sure enough, no hook, but the mount appears to be in place, suggesting this one may be a GSB SBD.

Kinzey’s text confirms the Alamy image is an A-24B, based on tail number. Wouldn’t be surprised if the French received a mixed bag of A-24s and SBDs.

Steven “Modeldad” Eisenman