Question about Yeager's P-51D

Question about Yeager's P-51D

March 27th, 2012, 4:11 pm #1

So I have decided to finally try my hand at an NMF plane (and Alclad) and am trying to determine what color the anti-glare panel ahead of the windscreen is. Some references list it as flat black, others an olive drab. I think most sources state that Anderson's Old Crow has an OD one. It would seem that since they were in the same squadron Glamorous Glen III would be the same. But then again, I know what happens when you assume anything.

Is there a consensus about this or is it still open for interpretation?

Thanks,

Bill

If you loan someone $20 and you never see them again, it was probably worth it.

March 27th, 2012, 4:31 pm #2

"History is not 'was', it 'is'." - William Faulkner

March 27th, 2012, 4:52 pm #3

March 27th, 2012, 8:13 pm #4

So I have decided to finally try my hand at an NMF plane (and Alclad) and am trying to determine what color the anti-glare panel ahead of the windscreen is. Some references list it as flat black, others an olive drab. I think most sources state that Anderson's Old Crow has an OD one. It would seem that since they were in the same squadron Glamorous Glen III would be the same. But then again, I know what happens when you assume anything.

Thanks,

Bill

There are two different "antiglares", the antiglare panel is the painted part on the upper cowling, it was OD on Mustangs.
A few (very few) units repainted them black but that's another story.
There is also the cockpit antiglare which on P-51D's is the instrument panel shroud as well as other parts in the cockpit that may reflect light and blind the pilot (top part armor plate, windshield and canopy frames etc...).
These were painted flat black.

Christian A.
Christian A.

March 27th, 2012, 9:35 pm #5

Thanks,

Bill

Pretty sure you meant "Amorous Len" there, huh?

March 27th, 2012, 11:05 pm #6

Of course, thats what I meant. You know, the plane flown by "Capt Reager"

March 27th, 2012, 11:48 pm #7

Thanks,

Bill

Howdy Bill,

Yeagars last plane was not painted in the RAF green like Anderson's Old Crow was when it arrived in England in the fall of 1944. Check out the pictures of Old Crow because the green demarcation line is lower than the NAA O.D. applied at the factory. Old Crow was stripped of the Camo before Christmas of 1944 and I believe they left the nose RAF green rather than repainting it O.D.

That's my guess. Others may know more. I would go along with Christian and paint the nose O.D. just like it came from North American's plant in CA.

BTW Anderson and Yeagar flew their last "mission" on the 16th? of January. A very interesting mission involving the shootdowns of their drop tanks over Switzerland.

Mike

Semper Fidelis

Temecula Valley Model Club
"Haud Sceptrum, Haud Sentio, Haud Forsit

March 28th, 2012, 4:14 am #8

And while Anderson and Yeager were off strafing their drop tanks and buzzing hotels, the rest of the 357th was engaged in ferocious air-to-air combat racking up 55 or 56 kills in one mission.

It is better to be the stomper rather than the stompee!
It is better to be the Stomper rather than the Stompee!