Question about last Japanese attacks recorded / Werewolves in Germany

Question about last Japanese attacks recorded / Werewolves in Germany

March 15th, 2012, 3:37 am #1

When was the threat of Japanese air attack officially over? Did any renegade pilot make post-surrender attacks on US targets?

Similarly, was there truly a group in Germany called, "The Werewolves" and did they do much damage post May, 1945?

I see a divergence of views on the web.

March 15th, 2012, 3:48 am #2

folded very quickly simply because by that stage the average German was not much interested in fighting. Also the Russians did have a very abrupt manner of dealing with any "partisans"

March 15th, 2012, 4:02 am #3

When was the threat of Japanese air attack officially over? Did any renegade pilot make post-surrender attacks on US targets?

Similarly, was there truly a group in Germany called, "The Werewolves" and did they do much damage post May, 1945?

Admiral Ugaki Matome flew an attack on 15.Aug. 1945 AFTER the surrender announcement, which he justified by saying he hadn't received any "official" word, yet.

I do not know of a later one. You are likely aware of the hold-outs on several Pacific islands which did not come in from the bush for decades, but these were infantrymen, not flight personnel.

GRM

March 15th, 2012, 4:48 am #4

small boat v small boat but I can't find the details right now.

Tank: So what do you need? Besides a miracle.
Neo: Guns. Lots of guns.

March 15th, 2012, 4:59 am #5

I know that Saburo Sakai and several other members of his unit attacked a B32 Dominator over Tokyo on the 17th. I believe there were casualties on the US side from this.

There were several groups such as the 302nd AG that were considering attacks. I have also seen mention of concern regarding the 721st AG, the Ohka pilots, and that they might stage an attack. These were threats only, as far as I know.

Chris

March 15th, 2012, 6:21 am #6

By Sakai and Komachi. B-32 Dominator attacked and one crewman killed. since it was done before surrender officially took place it was legal and acceptable under international law. Source is: Aces of the Rising Sun, by Henry Sakaida, page 170.

A deal, deal! Maybe He's a Republican?
60 feet of bridge I can get almost anywhere. Schmuck!

March 15th, 2012, 8:02 am #7

I know that Saburo Sakai and several other members of his unit attacked a B32 Dominator over Tokyo on the 17th. I believe there were casualties on the US side from this.

There were several groups such as the 302nd AG that were considering attacks. I have also seen mention of concern regarding the 721st AG, the Ohka pilots, and that they might stage an attack. These were threats only, as far as I know.

Chris
n/t... see post below
Last edited by electron-x on March 15th, 2012, 8:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

March 15th, 2012, 3:41 pm #8

Hi folks,

one of my ancestors was a werewolf called "Lups Wolf" by his comerades.
He shot down a sherman tank with a panzerfaust two weeks after war's end. He also managed to escape from a russion POW-camp.

I doubt that there were regular werewolf units.

Cheers
Bjoern

March 15th, 2012, 3:55 pm #9

March 15th, 2012, 3:58 pm #10

folded very quickly simply because by that stage the average German was not much interested in fighting. Also the Russians did have a very abrupt manner of dealing with any "partisans"
book entitled "The Last Nazis - SS Werewolf guerrilla Resistance in Europe 1944 - 1947"(Tempest Publishing, 2000). That's pretty what he said, too - they did cause some mayhem with the Americans, British and French, but when they tried that stuff on the Russians, the Russians pretty much cleaned their clocks out. And that was that...

Byron