Question about Capt. John Pugh's P-51B Mustang......

Question about Capt. John Pugh's P-51B Mustang......

April 9th, 2012, 3:41 pm #1

Hi there folks....
I need some help on something Mustang related. I'm building Capt. John Pugh's P-51B Mustang. He was in the 357th FG, 362nd FS. What is distinctive about his plane was...for a short while, it was painted with HUGE yellow & red diamonds on the nose. Covering almost the entire front of the aircraft. However, here's my dilemma. I need to know...were the top of the wings of this particular plane painted olive drab, to match the top half of the fuselodge? Or...were they just left bare metal? Of course, if olive drab on top, then the theatre bands would be white. If not painted, then they'll of course be black. I've seen "artists rendererings" of Both styles. I've also looked all over the net. Including such sites as 8th Airforce groups "Little Friends." It seems like Most of the P-51's from this group had the top of the wings in olive drab. However, there are always exceptions due to various reasons.
Does anyone have a photo of this plane for proof, or know of where some info that is out there to show for certain?

Any info would be a great help.

Thanks in advance;

"Commodore" Murray
Cary, IL

April 9th, 2012, 5:21 pm #2

text and pic found in the revised 'Yoxford Boys'.

April 9th, 2012, 9:23 pm #3

I don't think it ever flew an op with the giant diamonds. I seem to recall reading that in "The Yoxford Boys". It sure did look cool though!

April 10th, 2012, 12:28 am #4

Hi there folks....
I need some help on something Mustang related. I'm building Capt. John Pugh's P-51B Mustang. He was in the 357th FG, 362nd FS. What is distinctive about his plane was...for a short while, it was painted with HUGE yellow & red diamonds on the nose. Covering almost the entire front of the aircraft. However, here's my dilemma. I need to know...were the top of the wings of this particular plane painted olive drab, to match the top half of the fuselodge? Or...were they just left bare metal? Of course, if olive drab on top, then the theatre bands would be white. If not painted, then they'll of course be black. I've seen "artists rendererings" of Both styles. I've also looked all over the net. Including such sites as 8th Airforce groups "Little Friends." It seems like Most of the P-51's from this group had the top of the wings in olive drab. However, there are always exceptions due to various reasons.
Does anyone have a photo of this plane for proof, or know of where some info that is out there to show for certain?

Any info would be a great help.

Thanks in advance;

"Commodore" Murray
Cary, IL

By the way..it seems I'm going to Have to get that book the Yoksford Boys. Seems like there's lots of neat stuff in there for a Mustang fanatic.

Thanks again;

"Commodore" Murray
Cary, IL