Question about a classic kit: Boeing PT17 Stearman...

Question about a classic kit: Boeing PT17 Stearman...

April 9th, 2012, 7:03 pm #1

Is the old Lindberg 1/48 scale any good..??? I know it needs "some" extra work to detail it, but don't know anything about general accuracy. I'd like to build a Canadian PT27, so a different engine must be found....any idea out there???

TIA and best regards....

April 9th, 2012, 7:06 pm #2

Dating back to the late 1940s. The kit was originally made by Varney and later sold, with modifications, by Lindberg. Given it dates back to about 1947... its "passable" but its not great. That, and the Revell 1/72 kit, are the only plastic Stearmans

April 9th, 2012, 7:28 pm #3

I do understand the original question was about the 1/48th kit and maybe there is a technical disqualification of the Pavla kit.

Chris

April 9th, 2012, 7:51 pm #4

Is the old Lindberg 1/48 scale any good..??? I know it needs "some" extra work to detail it, but don't know anything about general accuracy. I'd like to build a Canadian PT27, so a different engine must be found....any idea out there???

TIA and best regards....
Is this the only Stearman kit in 1/48? I would really love to build one if there is a decent kit out there!

April 9th, 2012, 8:08 pm #5

TIA and best regards....
.... it's a very basic kit. No cockpit at all- just a simplified seat for the figures to sit on. The engine is basic , but for it's age it does not look too bad. It could benefit from some wiring, etc., or even a replacement. Surface detail is minimal, and it's raised. No fabric texture to speak of, just smooth plastic. The wings are a bit thick, to my eye.

Overall, the fit is pretty good, again, given it's age. Does take some filling to get a nice fairing in of the wing underside. There's a big hole for a stand that needs to be plugged. The plastic in my example was bright yellow and a bit brittle, but it reacted fine with Tamiya Extra Thin.

But once it's all together, it looks pretty good. It will take some work, but it does capture the look of the PT-17 very well, I think.

Jon Bius
www.agapemodels.com
Modeling with a Higher Purpose

April 9th, 2012, 8:28 pm #6

TIA and best regards....
Also, the nose is about 3/16ths inch too long---not hard to cut back. Engines-n-Things makes (or made; not sure if they're still available) replacement engines. The taper of the landing gear legs looks off too---I added a little sheet plastic to the rear and sanded them to (I think) a better shape. Other than that, not much necessary to make a good looking Stearman.
There isn't any "fabric" effect on the wings or tail, which I think looks more authentic, but there is a slight scalloping to show where the ribs are.

April 9th, 2012, 9:06 pm #7

I do understand the original question was about the 1/48th kit and maybe there is a technical disqualification of the Pavla kit.

Chris
Correctamundo. I don't have the kit so can't comment on quality, but it's out there n/t

April 9th, 2012, 10:33 pm #8

Chris
if its like their Nieman and Lorna its a POS for sure.

April 9th, 2012, 11:46 pm #9

.... it's a very basic kit. No cockpit at all- just a simplified seat for the figures to sit on. The engine is basic , but for it's age it does not look too bad. It could benefit from some wiring, etc., or even a replacement. Surface detail is minimal, and it's raised. No fabric texture to speak of, just smooth plastic. The wings are a bit thick, to my eye.

Overall, the fit is pretty good, again, given it's age. Does take some filling to get a nice fairing in of the wing underside. There's a big hole for a stand that needs to be plugged. The plastic in my example was bright yellow and a bit brittle, but it reacted fine with Tamiya Extra Thin.

But once it's all together, it looks pretty good. It will take some work, but it does capture the look of the PT-17 very well, I think.

Jon Bius
www.agapemodels.com
Modeling with a Higher Purpose
You've hit upon one of my pet peeves on plastic scale models - "Fabric Texture". Got news for you - there ain't no such thing on a 1 to 1 scale aircraft. By the time the fabric is shrunk, doped and painted you can't see any fabric weave (which would be the texture)- the most that you might be able to see on an aircraft with the minimum of dope applied to meet the regs (3 coats of clear and 3 coats of silver - all brushed on)is the outline of the reinforcing tapes (and thats on a working aircraft). with work and several additional coats of dope and paint the fabric becomes smooth as glass. You will see dips and rises in the fabric, but this is caused by the underlying structure, not the "Fabric Texture". So your Stearman should have a very smooth surface on those areas the are fabric covered on the 1 to 1 article.

April 10th, 2012, 1:32 am #10

TIA and best regards....
The kit is very basic - no cockpit at all, a simplified engine - but still not too bad. I read somewhere that the length is off, and about a quarter-inch needs to be removed from the fuselage just behind the engine. It's the only game in town if you want as quarter-scale Stearman, but the good news is that Mike West, of Lone Star Models, makes a great update set for this kit. The set features two very detailed sidewalls, insturment panels, and a floorboard with proper seats and rudder pedals. It's sells on his website for $15.

Drew