Punch and die sets: is there a more economical alternative to Waldron?

Punch and die sets: is there a more economical alternative to Waldron?

April 24th, 2012, 2:37 am #1

does anyone know if there is a more economic punch and die set than the $50+ Waldron Precision Punch and Die set?

I am building a scratch 1:48 instrument panel, so if Waldron is the only punch and die set worth owning, for 1:48 work, is the Precision Punch and Die the way to go?. Thanks for any advice.

April 24th, 2012, 3:04 am #2

a set of 12 from size .151" to .040" for $50 including postage he can be contacted by email at:
cbmodelproducts@hotmail.com
Hub

Any day above ground is a good one!!!
If anything in the above post offends you, I suggest you grow a thicker skin!!!
If anything in the above post offends you, I suggest you grow a thicker skin!

April 24th, 2012, 3:32 am #3

does anyone know if there is a more economic punch and die set than the $50+ Waldron Precision Punch and Die set?

I am building a scratch 1:48 instrument panel, so if Waldron is the only punch and die set worth owning, for 1:48 work, is the Precision Punch and Die the way to go?. Thanks for any advice.
For $49.95

http://www.micromark.com/Micro-Punch-Set,8603.html

It is better to be the stomper rather than the stompee!
It is better to be the Stomper rather than the Stompee!

April 24th, 2012, 3:38 am #4

Once you have the Waldron Set, you won't believe you ever lived without it. I've had mine for years and it has paid for itself a thousand times over. Even now I am finding new ways to use it.

I recently got the Micro Mark set, too (slightly different sizes) and it is not quite as well machined. If the price is similar, I would go ahead and get the Waldron. You won't regret it.

April 24th, 2012, 3:47 am #5

I have both the Precision and the Sub-Micro Waldron sets. Working mostly in 1/72 these days, I've used 'em all, right down the the littlest.

If you're going to be doing 1/48, you can probably get by with just the precision set.

I'd stay away from the Micro Mark set. I have one, and am not impressed with the quality. The Waldron set is well worth the extra money.

Mike

April 24th, 2012, 3:53 am #6

I think the CB is a better value. You get more for less money. Just my two cents.
Floyd

April 24th, 2012, 7:30 am #7

way cheaper than Waldron, greater choice of punch sizes and available worldwide without ridiculous shipping charges

review here:
http://www.scaleplasticandrail.com/kabo ... l-products

cheers

Nick

April 24th, 2012, 9:42 am #8

I did, using some 3/16" perspex I had.

Just buy a set of drills in the sizes you want (handy anyway), drill through two bits of perspex in the corners and fit short steel or brass pins, glued in the bottom layer only.

When you want to punch holes of a certain size, just select the appropriate drill bit and drill through both plates, invert the drill, protect the business end with a bit of plastic and use as the punch. If the drill has a conical end, just grind it flat.

Now you can punch custom sized holes in decal sheets or styrene sheet up to about 1/16" thick and it won't wear out as you might expect - even if it does, you can just drill another hole.

April 24th, 2012, 11:03 am #9

I think the CB is a better value. You get more for less money. Just my two cents.
Floyd
...and you do get more sizes than Waldron for a little less.

Dry fit, don't fit, fix fit.

Google IS your friend.

April 24th, 2012, 11:09 am #10

way cheaper than Waldron, greater choice of punch sizes and available worldwide without ridiculous shipping charges

review here:
http://www.scaleplasticandrail.com/kabo ... l-products

cheers

Nick
Purchased the CB set about 2 months ago. The first punch set I've ever owned and I don't know how I ever got by without it. It is changing my modeling. I only wish a 3-4 piece set of even smaller punches were available as a supplementary option.

The CB punches and the Iwata Neon gravity fed airbrush have helped make me much more prolific on the workbench. For less that $100, my modeling and my enjoyment of it has changed dramatically for the better.