Prop Blur Experiment

Prop Blur Experiment

November 22nd, 2010, 7:18 am #1

I have a model that was missing a prop and some u/c parts, so I built it wheels up and in flight... I had been putting off "yeah but how are you gonna do the prop disc" till now.
Messing around with powerpoint, photoshop etc I produced these images which I will print on decal paper to be placed on a clear acetate prop disc.
The image below shows some of the processes I went through and some examples of the prop blur decal

[/img]

This is the result of Experiment #3

ok the disc is rough cut, and blu tacked on but for all its current crudeness I think this is the way to the most realistic prop blur for inflight models..
[/img]
[/img]
[/img]
[/img]
[/img]

got to work out how to cut circles, putting the disc on spinners and a few other hurdles...

November 22nd, 2010, 7:45 am #2

but discard the clear disk, leaving only the blades (Ie; cut out the blades from the clear disk), see how that looks. I think you pretty much nailed the look of the spinning blades, but the clear areas distract from it.

November 22nd, 2010, 7:54 am #3

. but I am using a rough bit of clear plastic (and not very well cut at that!) at the moment (got to buy some new stuff) I think that with a nice smooth and shiny sheet, with the decal well "set" this will give the effect that I am after particularly in "indoor lighting" conditions... out in the sun every flaw is magnified, plus i need to trim the disc to leave the finest line at the circumference.
Last edited by cac_sabre on November 22nd, 2010, 7:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

November 22nd, 2010, 7:58 am #4

but discard the clear disk, leaving only the blades (Ie; cut out the blades from the clear disk), see how that looks. I think you pretty much nailed the look of the spinning blades, but the clear areas distract from it.

of the disk - leave the edge clear. Will you thin the edge of the disc? Will you polish the disk before the application of the decal? (IMHO), the black blur seems to work.
George, out.........

November 22nd, 2010, 8:14 am #5

I have a model that was missing a prop and some u/c parts, so I built it wheels up and in flight... I had been putting off "yeah but how are you gonna do the prop disc" till now.
Messing around with powerpoint, photoshop etc I produced these images which I will print on decal paper to be placed on a clear acetate prop disc.
The image below shows some of the processes I went through and some examples of the prop blur decal

[/img]

ok the disc is rough cut, and blu tacked on but for all its current crudeness I think this is the way to the most realistic prop blur for inflight models..
[/img]
[/img]
[/img]
[/img]
[/img]

got to work out how to cut circles, putting the disc on spinners and a few other hurdles...
[/IMG]

I have ground the edge down so that the circumference line has almost disappeared, there are portions of the arc that show a bit of decal delamination. I think that a well "set" decal and a sharp circle cutter will do the trick
Last edited by cac_sabre on November 22nd, 2010, 8:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

November 22nd, 2010, 9:30 am #6

[/IMG]
Massimo LaCivita

November 22nd, 2010, 9:41 am #7

[/img]

[/img]
[/img]
[/img]
[/img]
[/img]

plastic disk, while that aftermarket thingy with the black blades and the yellow tips just looks an agricultural implement and an utterly unrealistic interpretation of a spinning prop. One solution is always to just put the spinner on and fill the holes where the blades are.

Why bother - a model on a stand is clearly not moving. The best solution is an electric motor to turn the prop when you want.

November 22nd, 2010, 9:42 am #8

[/img]

[/img]
[/img]
[/img]
[/img]
[/img]

November 22nd, 2010, 9:55 am #9

[/img]

[/img]
[/img]
[/img]
[/img]
[/img]

and to my eye it looks bloody awful..I guess herein lies the "problem" for want of a better word.. in my mind's eye I see the effect I want to achieve as a barely visible almost clear thin disc with the blur effect, like the prop planes I see every working day, that is what I am striving to achieve for my models (on those rare occassions I do them "in-flight) other's mental vision of the prop disc is completely different..

the rough work I have done so far is the closest to achieving what I want to see that I have observed anywhere. I just have to figure out how to cut a disc out cleanly and minmise unwanted diffraction / distortions, though in indoor light this is not obvious.

November 22nd, 2010, 9:56 am #10

[/IMG]

I have ground the edge down so that the circumference line has almost disappeared, there are portions of the arc that show a bit of decal delamination. I think that a well "set" decal and a sharp circle cutter will do the trick
Originally I didn't like what you had done, but I've come back to it with some suggestions.

I would try to cut away the excess between the blurred props, widen the base so the shape is not so triangular and try to put the decal on the thinnest piece of clear that will keep the shape. Also, as the tip of a prop blade is travelling faster than say, 1 inch from the hub, I would have the colour more dense at the hub, filtering out to the tip.

Also I found this pic just doing a google and I'd say you are onto something here.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/aburt/3839525589/