Problems with black letter decals and slivering.

Problems with black letter decals and slivering.

May 21st, 2012, 9:37 pm #1

I'm decaling a OV-10 with a variety of decals from superscale/microscale/fireball modelworks. The plane is painted in MM enamels and covered by a good gloss coat of Polly S. Most of the decals are going on really well, but I'm having a horrendous time with slivering on decals for black lettering where a lot of the base color shows (ie. MARINES on the side of the fuselage boom, the AC number on the vertical stabilizer etc). I'm using Micro Set, then Micro Sol and then even trying Solvaset on them, but nothing is killing the slivering. I've tried the pin prick/Micro Sol thing, and it's not doing the job either. What alternatives do I have for these black letter decals to help with this slivering? (I've removed them and am back to a bare canvas). It's really making a model that I was enjoying into a disappointment, especially with all the other decals looking great.

Thanks!
Last edited by jwhangen on May 21st, 2012, 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

May 21st, 2012, 10:18 pm #2

It may be the particular brand of decal that is causing you the problems. Solution is to apply the wording like "MARINES" individually.

Also, in case this is the problem, you want to apply your decal sets and solvents properly. For example, you want Micro Set under the decal in place of any air, then Micro Sol on top. I use the same formula with Solvaset... apply Micro Set first to be able to move the decal into position, then flood the top and around the edge with Solvaset. Just putting the liquids on top does not work in itself.

May 22nd, 2012, 12:00 am #3

I'm decaling a OV-10 with a variety of decals from superscale/microscale/fireball modelworks. The plane is painted in MM enamels and covered by a good gloss coat of Polly S. Most of the decals are going on really well, but I'm having a horrendous time with slivering on decals for black lettering where a lot of the base color shows (ie. MARINES on the side of the fuselage boom, the AC number on the vertical stabilizer etc). I'm using Micro Set, then Micro Sol and then even trying Solvaset on them, but nothing is killing the slivering. I've tried the pin prick/Micro Sol thing, and it's not doing the job either. What alternatives do I have for these black letter decals to help with this slivering? (I've removed them and am back to a bare canvas). It's really making a model that I was enjoying into a disappointment, especially with all the other decals looking great.

Thanks!
Use Future as a setting agent or as mentioned cut the letters out of the carrier film.

May 22nd, 2012, 1:01 am #4

so the 10 second rundown of using future is:

1. put future where decal will go
2. soak decal off paper and place in future puddle
3. leave it to dry?

Sorry, I know this has been covered here before, just looking for the digest version thanks!
Last edited by jwhangen on May 22nd, 2012, 2:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

May 22nd, 2012, 2:41 am #5

some Future where the decal is to go. While that is still wet layer the decal there then use a tissue to mop up any excess water as usual. Then let dry - as the Future dries it will pull the decal down to conform. Don't use any proprietary setting solutions as the Future dries quicker than those and this can cause wrinkling because the Future will harden the wrinkling as it dries.

May 22nd, 2012, 2:52 am #6

Can I spot-apply the future only in the area I'm decaling? Or will that screw up the entire finish? My problem is that I've got the thing half decaled already, with the exception of these pesky black letter markings (of which there's a fair share).

May 22nd, 2012, 2:54 am #7

It may be the particular brand of decal that is causing you the problems. Solution is to apply the wording like "MARINES" individually.

Also, in case this is the problem, you want to apply your decal sets and solvents properly. For example, you want Micro Set under the decal in place of any air, then Micro Sol on top. I use the same formula with Solvaset... apply Micro Set first to be able to move the decal into position, then flood the top and around the edge with Solvaset. Just putting the liquids on top does not work in itself.
I'm following that proper procedure, in fact years ago I started using a sharpie to put a big "1" on the set bottle and a big "2" on the Sol bottle so I'd remember what order to use them! It's two brands of black letters that are doing it - an old Microscale sheet, and a brand new Fireball sheet. The decals conform great (both sheets) it's just that there's the serious slivering between the black lettering.

When you say cut out the decals, you cut them right to the edge of each letter? Sounds like a lot of work but I might not have a choice at this point!

Thanks!

May 22nd, 2012, 3:27 am #8

so the 10 second rundown of using future is:

1. put future where decal will go
2. soak decal off paper and place in future puddle
3. leave it to dry?

Sorry, I know this has been covered here before, just looking for the digest version thanks!
That will work but the way I do it with most decals is to remove the decal as usual then run it through some Future then apply it. I do it this way because it uses less Future and if you can position the decal in the first shot there's usually no cleanup. With large oddly shaped decals I'll brush the Future on the model then apply because if the decal curls with Future on it you could be SOL getting it uncurled.
After it's in place just let it dry on it's own, as mentioned don't use any solvents on the decals.

May 22nd, 2012, 3:30 am #9

Can I spot-apply the future only in the area I'm decaling? Or will that screw up the entire finish? My problem is that I've got the thing half decaled already, with the exception of these pesky black letter markings (of which there's a fair share).
The only times I've had it change the finish is when applying the decal to flat paint, even wiping off the excess left a darker stain where I got the Future outside the decal. Luckily each time was with an AFV model so the weathering ended up hiding it. Over gloss or semi-gloss finishes it's easy to wipe off any excess Future and never leaves any kind of mark.

May 22nd, 2012, 12:27 pm #10

I'm following that proper procedure, in fact years ago I started using a sharpie to put a big "1" on the set bottle and a big "2" on the Sol bottle so I'd remember what order to use them! It's two brands of black letters that are doing it - an old Microscale sheet, and a brand new Fireball sheet. The decals conform great (both sheets) it's just that there's the serious slivering between the black lettering.

When you say cut out the decals, you cut them right to the edge of each letter? Sounds like a lot of work but I might not have a choice at this point!

Thanks!
No clear film means no clear film to silver.