Polikarpov I-3 - part II : AMS

Polikarpov I-3 - part II : AMS

June 8th, 2011, 10:42 pm #1

Hello again all

While Stuarts Polikarpov I-15 is quickly coming together, I spend some time flirting with AMS - oh the horrors !

Last time we glued the fuselage together

AND we learned the cowling shape wasn't supposed to be flat

So we tried to add some curves in the right place

Naaa... this does not look good

Try again with plastic card

And some filler

And some sanding

We also learned the real thing had some guns

There were no guns on my poor, scarry I-3

Drill some cut outs

Plastic rods helped me to get symetric cut outs for the machine guns

Some filler (again) to blend things in

Tamiya Lacquer Thinner makes the filler more fluent, and easier to work with

Then I decided to fill and sand the deep panel lines as well

This is more like it

But AMS was slowing me down... and Stuart was quickly moving ahead

I better struggle along more quickly !

And these straight horizontal stabilizers were far from a perfect match for the curved fuselage

But glue works wonders on this soft plastic

Only a little bit of filler needed at the leading edge

Butt joining the lower wing - no allocation pins whatsoever - trying to keep everything straight

I spend too much time on AMS, making these cowling bulges and gun cut outs... but somehow I think this was really needed

I was stalling - trying to decide to thin down the cockpit walls, and create some new horizontal stabilizers because as per kit they are a little too small

But then Stuart posted - and I remembered Adrians words, to try to make this kit look good with what is in the box - so now it's a mix of OOB and AMS... but we have fun

* <i></i> * *
William De Coster / Belgium / past builds on HS : Plastic Stories

- Airfix - Bristol Beaufighter Mk.II : Part I - Part II - Part III - Part IV - Part V - Part VI - Part VII (incl Flanders Modelling Festival 2011 show report) - Part VIII (incl Patherscup 2011 show report Pt.2) - Part IX (incl Beskyd Model Kit 2011 show report Pt.2) - Part X - Part XI - Part XII /The End
- Vami Models - resin Me P. Schwalbe : Part I (incl Pantherscup 2011 show report Pt.1) - Part II (incl Beskyd Model Kit 2011 show report Pt.1)
- AGA - Polikarpov I-3 : Part I

Just like the perfect woman doesn't exist, I will never build a perfect model.
Puts me on a par with God

June 8th, 2011, 11:15 pm #2

You're dealing with a much more challenging kit than I am, and doing your usual wonders. The nose section will be a great improvement.

Stuart

June 9th, 2011, 2:01 am #3

Hello again all

While Stuarts Polikarpov I-15 is quickly coming together, I spend some time flirting with AMS - oh the horrors !

And some filler

And some sanding

Drill some cut outs

This is more like it

And these straight horizontal stabilizers were far from a perfect match for the curved fuselage

Butt joining the lower wing - no allocation pins whatsoever - trying to keep everything straight

I spend too much time on AMS, making these cowling bulges and gun cut outs... but somehow I think this was really needed

I was stalling - trying to decide to thin down the cockpit walls, and create some new horizontal stabilizers because as per kit they are a little too small

But then Stuart posted - and I remembered Adrians words, to try to make this kit look good with what is in the box - so now it's a mix of OOB and AMS... but we have fun

* <i></i> * *

- Airfix - Bristol Beaufighter Mk.II : Part I - Part II - Part III - Part IV - Part V - Part VI - Part VII (incl Flanders Modelling Festival 2011 show report) - Part VIII (incl Patherscup 2011 show report Pt.2) - Part IX (incl Beskyd Model Kit 2011 show report Pt.2) - Part X - Part XI - Part XII /The End
- Vami Models - resin Me P. Schwalbe : Part I (incl Pantherscup 2011 show report Pt.1) - Part II (incl Beskyd Model Kit 2011 show report Pt.1)

...lazy butt! Whoa, William - you're really sailing along with this and your other builds lately. Someone must have lit a fire under you! If I may say so, don't fret over AMS-ing. I think you're giving this kit what it deserves: correcting the more glaring errors, but leaving the little detail errors alone and driving on. Man, you are on a roll these days - and it's infectious!
Best...Ted...

Previous WIP Builds:
The Big Spit Pt.1; The Big Spit Pt.2; The Big Spit Pt.3; The Big Spit Pt.4; The Big Spit Pt.5; The Big Spit Pt.6;
The Big Spit Pt.7; The Big Spit Pt.8; The Big Spit Pt.9; The Big Spit Pt.10; The Big Spit Pt.11; The Big Spit Finish;

Me109 Pt.1; Me109 Pt.2; Me109 Pt.3; Me109 Finish;
Vickers Tank Pt.1; Vickers Tank Pt.2; Vickers Tank Pt.3; Vickers Tank Pt.4; Vickers Tank Pt.5; Vickers Tank Pt.6; Vickers Tank Finish;
Connies Pt.1; Connies Pt.2; Connies Pt.3; Connies Pt.4; Connies Pt.5; Connies Pt.6; Connies Pt.7; Connies Finish

Tall Tales:
Cold War Incident
The Lucky Mig
Kanal Kampf: A Spitfire Story

June 9th, 2011, 5:28 pm #4

Hello again all

And some filler

And some sanding

Drill some cut outs

This is more like it

* <i></i> * *

William,

I think AMS is part of what makes this so much fun. We are actually building and adding to a nice initial kit...that's model building!

Anyway, you sure have worked hard on that one. The front end alone should get you an award. Well done.

June 9th, 2011, 8:19 pm #5

Hello again all

And some filler

And some sanding

Drill some cut outs

This is more like it

* <i></i> * *

I have done this kit twice, and it is the original model from Hell....

June 9th, 2011, 10:51 pm #6

You're dealing with a much more challenging kit than I am, and doing your usual wonders. The nose section will be a great improvement.

Stuart
In points of accuracy, yes - in detail your I-15 isn't a walk in the park either I think

I strongly felt about correcting the nose - I wanted at least to have the machineguns there - there are several more errors with the kit but less terrible, so I think I will continue OOB now - gotta keep up with you !

* <i></i> * *

June 9th, 2011, 10:54 pm #7

...lazy butt! Whoa, William - you're really sailing along with this and your other builds lately. Someone must have lit a fire under you! If I may say so, don't fret over AMS-ing. I think you're giving this kit what it deserves: correcting the more glaring errors, but leaving the little detail errors alone and driving on. Man, you are on a roll these days - and it's infectious!
Best...Ted...

Previous WIP Builds:
The Big Spit Pt.1; The Big Spit Pt.2; The Big Spit Pt.3; The Big Spit Pt.4; The Big Spit Pt.5; The Big Spit Pt.6;
The Big Spit Pt.7; The Big Spit Pt.8; The Big Spit Pt.9; The Big Spit Pt.10; The Big Spit Pt.11; The Big Spit Finish;

Vickers Tank Pt.1; Vickers Tank Pt.2; Vickers Tank Pt.3; Vickers Tank Pt.4; Vickers Tank Pt.5; Vickers Tank Pt.6; Vickers Tank Finish;
Connies Pt.1; Connies Pt.2; Connies Pt.3; Connies Pt.4; Connies Pt.5; Connies Pt.6; Connies Pt.7; Connies Finish

Tall Tales:
Cold War Incident
The Lucky Mig
Well since the Beau cleared a large part of the bench - there is room for new exciting things... and I want to get the most out of this GB and build several 1/72 models, or at least try... and hope AMS doesn't distract me that much

Hope to see another build of you again soon - there has to be something after the 109 & Spit ?

* <i></i> * *

June 9th, 2011, 10:58 pm #8

William,

I think AMS is part of what makes this so much fun. We are actually building and adding to a nice initial kit...that's model building!

Anyway, you sure have worked hard on that one. The front end alone should get you an award. Well done.
Yes, I like the occasional scratch building too - but this GB will only last a short time and I still would like to do so many many many builds, so I have to hurry instead of spending 3 months superdetailling 1 kit - and besides this I-3 was ment as a quick project... but that's how they all start

Thanks for the compliments Dan !

* <i></i> * *

June 9th, 2011, 11:08 pm #9

I have done this kit twice, and it is the original model from Hell....
I love your work with the old Fokker - I discovered it only recently - but I hope to see a posting of it soon again, it's wonderful work. Ever since reading Early German aces of World War I from Osprey I wanted to do one of these early Fokkers, and I finally managed to get in touch with HR Models directly, and next week I will meet them again and probably buy one of these resin kits, but I don't know yet which one... HR Models has several early Fokkers

Impressed to hear you build it twice, I already know by now I will only do one - not because it is that terrible, but because there aren't that many interesting colour schemes out there, unless you go what-iffy with a Spanish Civil war machine

I remember my build of the Frog Blackburn Shark - now that was a tough cookie - especially the struts... but I haven't touch the struts on this kit yet, so we will see

Thanks for dropping in Old Man - take care

* <i></i> * *

June 10th, 2011, 3:10 am #10

Well since the Beau cleared a large part of the bench - there is room for new exciting things... and I want to get the most out of this GB and build several 1/72 models, or at least try... and hope AMS doesn't distract me that much

Hope to see another build of you again soon - there has to be something after the 109 & Spit ?

* <i></i> * *

Even before I began the Spit I started on some 1/76 scale armour kits - BEF stuff. I hate leaving projects unfinished. I've dragged 'em out again and I'm just staring at 'em...and staring. Maybe I'm waiting for one of them to say: "Hey, snap out of it and finish us up, will ya?" I'm still staring at them, sipping elderberry wine and waiting, but I haven't heard a peep out of them yet!
Best...Ted...

Previous WIP Builds:

Tall Tales:
Cold War Incident
The Lucky Mig