Polikarpov I-3 - part I : introduction

Polikarpov I-3 - part I : introduction

June 5th, 2011, 10:17 pm #1

Greetings all

I have always had a deep fascination for interwar aircraft types, usually biplanes

So while I was finishing the Beaufighter, I was looking forward to my next build - and with a 1/72 GB now, I had many options

Maybe the Vildebeest...

Too complicated

I was looking for a quick build - as I still have some other projects to finish as well

Stuart was building his I-4, and I thought it would be smart of me to do an I-3

To be honest I hadn't heard of this type when I found it in a bargain box at a model show earlier this year

I had a QUICK peek at the contents : a lot of decals, some PE and seemingly several engine options

Only 6 euro, so I bought it

Back home I discovered the PE, decals and engine options belonged to another kit (Hitkit Breguet 19, I think)

One of the voices in my head : ... I should have known, a Polikarpov and French operational markings ?

But, all parts for the Polikarpov where accounted for

However, the decals were stuck to the plastic bag

Let's worry about them later

Kits with three clear parts are not basic

One single sprue - easy !

Close up of the wing struts - maybe not that delicate, but sturdy

Gentle wing rib detail - no sanding down required - love it !

One colour option, so we won't loose five nights of sleep thinking about which one

Some information on the history of the type - in Polish - no time wasted on reading this

All in all, it looked like a decent kit for a quick project, not too much detail, not too basic = perfect !

Let's start with the interior

The seat is rather heavy (looks more like a couch)

And some parts look quite familiar - from Stuarts I-4 build

Only 1 alignment pin - in the middle of the vertical stabilizer

I removed it, giving me more alignment freedom

Control column is too high...

Seat (couch) was too low...

Much better

Note I also had to sand away a small part of the instrument panel

And I had a weird feeling I had to scratch at least something

If I hadn't done this I would have felt very sick... I think

One evening of painting

Next evening some weathering to tone down the colours... maybe my interior was too bright

Glue interior in place

Add some painted Tamiya tape seatbelts

Close fuselage

So far I moved along very nicely

I become more involved with the type

I still didn't know anything about it, and I went googling for information... NEVER DO THIS IN A QUICK BUILD !!!

I found this :

Picture and model : Eugeny Knupfer

And to make things worse : a build report on ARC - highlighting several inaccuracies in this model kit... and showing how to solve them...

The ASM beast in me woke up...

* <i></i> * *
William De Coster / Belgium / past builds on HS : Plastic Stories

- Group Build Airfix Kits - Bristol Beaufighter Mk.II : Part I - Part II - Part III - Part IV - Part V - Part VI - Part VII (incl Flanders Modelling Festival 2011 show report) - Part VIII (incl Patherscup 2011 show report Pt.2) - Part IX (incl Beskyd Model Kit 2011 show report Pt.2) - Part X - Part XI - Part XII /The End
- Plastic Pics Vami Models - Me P. Schwalbe : Part I (incl Pantherscup 2011 show report Pt.1) - Part II (incl Beskyd Model Kit 2011 show report Pt.1)

Just like the perfect woman doesn't exist, I will never build a perfect model.
Puts me on a par with God

June 6th, 2011, 12:34 am #3

Greetings all

I have always had a deep fascination for interwar aircraft types, usually biplanes

So while I was finishing the Beaufighter, I was looking forward to my next build - and with a 1/72 GB now, I had many options

Maybe the Vildebeest...

Too complicated

I was looking for a quick build - as I still have some other projects to finish as well

To be honest I hadn't heard of this type when I found it in a bargain box at a model show earlier this year

I had a QUICK peek at the contents : a lot of decals, some PE and seemingly several engine options

Back home I discovered the PE, decals and engine options belonged to another kit (Hitkit Breguet 19, I think)

One of the voices in my head : ... I should have known, a Polikarpov and French operational markings ?

One colour option, so we won't loose five nights of sleep thinking about which one

Some information on the history of the type - in Polish - no time wasted on reading this

All in all, it looked like a decent kit for a quick project, not too much detail, not too basic = perfect !

Much better

One evening of painting

Next evening some weathering to tone down the colours... maybe my interior was too bright

Glue interior in place

Close fuselage

I still didn't know anything about it, and I went googling for information... NEVER DO THIS IN A QUICK BUILD !!!

I found this :

And to make things worse : a build report on ARC - highlighting several inaccuracies in this model kit... and showing how to solve them...

* <i></i> * *

- Group Build Airfix Kits - Bristol Beaufighter Mk.II : Part I - Part II - Part III - Part IV - Part V - Part VI - Part VII (incl Flanders Modelling Festival 2011 show report) - Part VIII (incl Patherscup 2011 show report Pt.2) - Part IX (incl Beskyd Model Kit 2011 show report Pt.2) - Part X - Part XI - Part XII /The End
- Plastic Pics Vami Models - Me P. Schwalbe : Part I (incl Pantherscup 2011 show report Pt.1) - Part II (incl Beskyd Model Kit 2011 show report Pt.1)

Verrrrry interesting! The wing surface looks nice indeed. And the seat, stick and pedals are identical to those in my Zvezda I-4. (I understand my I-4 has a long and convoluted history of multiple manufacturers--looks like they must have started life with the same one.)

I will, of course, be following this build with the greatest interest. And now that I'm working on the I-15, we'll have to find everything from I-5 through I-14 to do too!

Stuart

June 6th, 2011, 3:59 pm #4

Greetings all

Maybe the Vildebeest...

Too complicated

Much better

One evening of painting

Glue interior in place

Close fuselage

I found this :

* <i></i> * *

I mean: fight the AMS. Let that masterpiece alone. Focus on your one, and remember why are you building it: quick and painless build.
Coming to the model: I really appreciate those Eastern Block kits. They have nothing to envy to their contemporary western counterparts. Plus, they portrait unusual subjects, and that's fine.
Go ahead with this one, William: we'll see another interesting model of yours.
Massimo LaCivita

June 6th, 2011, 5:07 pm #5

Greetings all

Maybe the Vildebeest...

Too complicated

Much better

One evening of painting

Glue interior in place

Close fuselage

I found this :

* <i></i> * *

William,

Don't give in to AMS - build it to show how good it can look without surgery!

Alternatively, do whatever makes you happy!

Regards,
Adrian

June 6th, 2011, 9:34 pm #6

I have been thinking to open it again..... noooooooo I didn't

Thanks for dropping in Ted

* <i></i> * *

- Airfix - Bristol Beaufighter Mk.II : Part I - Part II - Part III - Part IV - Part V - Part VI - Part VII (incl Flanders Modelling Festival 2011 show report) - Part VIII (incl Patherscup 2011 show report Pt.2) - Part IX (incl Beskyd Model Kit 2011 show report Pt.2) - Part X - Part XI - Part XII /The End
- Vami Models - resin Me P. Schwalbe : Part I (incl Pantherscup 2011 show report Pt.1) - Part II (incl Beskyd Model Kit 2011 show report Pt.1)
- AGA - Polikarpov I-3 : Part I

June 6th, 2011, 9:50 pm #7

Verrrrry interesting! The wing surface looks nice indeed. And the seat, stick and pedals are identical to those in my Zvezda I-4. (I understand my I-4 has a long and convoluted history of multiple manufacturers--looks like they must have started life with the same one.)

I will, of course, be following this build with the greatest interest. And now that I'm working on the I-15, we'll have to find everything from I-5 through I-14 to do too!

Stuart
I know of ICMs Polikarpov I-1

But not many inbetween I-5 and I-15... I have to dig deeper into this

I wonder which is the original common company for these kits, they don't look so bad, maybe they have more...

* <i></i> * *

- Airfix - Bristol Beaufighter Mk.II : Part I - Part II - Part III - Part IV - Part V - Part VI - Part VII (incl Flanders Modelling Festival 2011 show report) - Part VIII (incl Patherscup 2011 show report Pt.2) - Part IX (incl Beskyd Model Kit 2011 show report Pt.2) - Part X - Part XI - Part XII /The End
- Vami Models - resin Me P. Schwalbe : Part I (incl Pantherscup 2011 show report Pt.1) - Part II (incl Beskyd Model Kit 2011 show report Pt.1)

June 6th, 2011, 9:53 pm #8

I mean: fight the AMS. Let that masterpiece alone. Focus on your one, and remember why are you building it: quick and painless build.
Coming to the model: I really appreciate those Eastern Block kits. They have nothing to envy to their contemporary western counterparts. Plus, they portrait unusual subjects, and that's fine.
Go ahead with this one, William: we'll see another interesting model of yours.
That I know of googling it and not finding many reference pictures - but on the other hand, that's just perfect for a quick build - until you find a good build review... and I tried to fight it, but now I'm fighting to try to get some gun slots in the upper decking

But I still hope to finish it quickly - then I will "reward" myself with finishing the Beagle !

* <i></i> * *

June 6th, 2011, 9:56 pm #9

William,

Don't give in to AMS - build it to show how good it can look without surgery!

Alternatively, do whatever makes you happy!

Regards,
Adrian
"build it to show how good it can look without surgery!" - I have to tattoo that on my lower arms, that's something I want to remember for next build, because...

Unfortunatly, upon finding out the kit had no gun slots, I just had to scratch them... but so far it doesn't delay me that much... not finished yet though

Thanks for dropping in Adrian

* <i></i> * *

Dan Smith
Dan Smith

June 7th, 2011, 5:35 am #10

Greetings all

Maybe the Vildebeest...

Too complicated

Much better

One evening of painting

Glue interior in place

Close fuselage

I found this :

* <i></i> * *

William,

You have a knack of picking cool subjects. You just have to do the Vildebeest too, you know!

Nice looking job so far. Your will look at least as nice as the finished one in your post...