Philadelphia Area Hobby Shops?

Philadelphia Area Hobby Shops?

January 12th, 2018, 5:54 pm #1

All-

Any recommendations for Philadelphia area hobby shops that have a decent plastic model selection? My internet searches are yielding "art" shops and aren't being too helpful. Figured I'd ask the experts! Thanks folks.

- Dennis S.
Thornton, CO USA

January 12th, 2018, 6:08 pm #2

about 12-15 miles from downtown Philly is AAA Hobbies in Magnolia. Its Steven's International's retail store. Pretty good stock of kits, paints, etc.-no bargains to be had as a general rule. Not my favorite place TBH, but its ok. Probably the biggest shop close to Philly.

January 12th, 2018, 7:29 pm #3

They do sell at full retail, but they also give 10% discounts to IPMS members and veterans. Plus you can get an additional 10% rebate by returning receipts of over $100. They also put in a bargain room in the back recently. So at the surface it's expensive, but once you factor everything else in, it's pretty competitive pricing.

January 12th, 2018, 10:19 pm #4

All-

Any recommendations for Philadelphia area hobby shops that have a decent plastic model selection? My internet searches are yielding "art" shops and aren't being too helpful. Figured I'd ask the experts! Thanks folks.

- Dennis S.
Thornton, CO USA
Main Line Hobbies is located in the Plymouth Meeting Mall, about 10 miles north of Philly. The mall is on Germantown Pike, just off the PA Turnpike at the Mid-County Interchange, where the Northeast Extension (I-476) meets the East-West route (I-276). Website is www.mainlinehobbies.com.

Triple-A Hobbies was already mentioned. That's just a short drive across the river to Magnolia, NJ.

Millennium Hobbies/the Gundam Kitchen is also just across the river, in Blackwood, NJ. It's a great little shop, but as the name suggests, it focuses on Gundams, anime, and sci-fi as far as kits go. The owner is a good guy, and he hosts wargames, and build meet-ups. He has a decent selection of supplies and tools, too.

I belong to the Delaware Valley Scale Modelers, based in Philly, and in our newsletter, we list those three shops, as well as these:

BNB Hobby & Train Depot
10 West Camden Ave., Moorestown, NJ 08057
Ph: 856-235-9055

New Concept III
676 Stokes Road, Medford, NJ 08055
Ph: 609-953-0404

D & K Hobbies
116 Barclay Shopping Center, (Route 70 West), Cherry Hill, NJ 08034.
Ph: (856) 795-9005
www.dkhobbys.com

Hobbymasters, Inc.
62 White Street, Red Bank, New Jersey 07701
Ph: 732-842-6020
www.hobbymasters.com

Z & Z Hobbies, Inc.
101 Sloan Avenue, Mercerville, New Jersey 08619
Ph: (609) 586-2282
www.hobbiesnow.com

Despite the results we get in a web search, there really aren't any hobby shops around down there anymore, at least, not those catering to scale modelers. Allied Hobbies has closed, too, if I am not mistaken.

Hope that helps! And anyway, while you're here, you should visit the museums. Besides the historical sites and national landmarks, the new Museum of the American Revolution is worth a visit when you're in town.

Best regards,
Brad

January 13th, 2018, 3:04 am #5

All-

- Dennis S.
Thornton, CO USA
Dennis,

Located in Philadelphia heading south on Market St.

Capelli Stamps & Hobbies
311 Market St
Philadelphia, PA 19106

Located on Rt. 3 (West Chester Pike) in Broomall, PA

Nicholas Smith Trains and Toys
2343 West Chester Pike
Broomall, PA 19008
http://www.nicholassmithtrains.com/store/

Enjoy your trip,

M.

January 13th, 2018, 1:18 pm #6

All-

- Dennis S.
Thornton, CO USA
I'd call AAA before going there, they have odd hours. Also they are a storefront for a distibutor, so most of their stock is in the warehouse, and they wont get anything from there unless the warehouse is open. To be honest it could be a great hobby store but the staff are arrogant, ignorant and rude. The manager is the worst. I live 20 minutes away and I refuse to shop there. Just a caveat from personal experience.
Just my $US.02

January 13th, 2018, 1:19 pm #7

All-

- Dennis S.
Thornton, CO USA
I'd call AAA before going there, they have odd hours. Also they are a storefront for a distibutor, so most of their stock is in the warehouse, and they wont get anything from there unless the warehouse is open. To be honest it could be a great hobby store but the staff are arrogant, ignorant and rude. The manager is the worst. I live 20 minutes away and I refuse to shop there. Just a caveat from personal experience.
Just my $US.02

January 15th, 2018, 5:42 pm #8

Here is their website, by the way:

http://www.aaahobbiesandcrafts.com/

Their posted hours are 10AM to 6PM, Mondays through Saturdays, and 11AM to 5PM Sundays. I've never run into any problem with their hours.

As to your experience with their staff, I can't speak to that, except to say that I've never had anything but polite service from the people who were working when I've gone it.