Phantom Phanatics please help!

Phantom Phanatics please help!

January 9th, 2012, 1:38 am #1

I've been building WW II since I got back into modeling a few years ago and although I have a few jets in the stash I haven't got to them yet. Then last week inspiration struck me. Inspiration can be dangerous. What inspired me was the new F-4E Phantom slat wing SEA Camo stencil decal sheet and the 3rd TFS F-4E decal sheet both by Afterburner. So while ordering them and the Hasegawa 1/48 scale F-4E (kit # PT7) I went a little crazy. I got both sheets, the kit and three Eduard brassin sets: seats, wheels and exhaust. I've done both brass and resin but this new Brassin line is new to me. Oh well in for a penny, in for a pound! I still need canopy rails. So as you see I am now committed to build a Phancy-Pants-High-Class model of a slat wing SEA camo Phantom II based at Clark AFB circa 1978-1980 covered with thousands and thousands of stencils. Here is the problem I need your help with. Although this very old kit still looks pretty good even by today's standards the missiles are just sad! Okay, I can live with the AIM 7's since they tuck up into the Fuselage and only can halfway be seen but I'm going to have to replace the AIM 9's. The question is which mark AIM 9 am I looking for? Where can I find a suitable replacement for these missiles. I know Hasegawa makes a series of "weapon sets" one of which is Missiles. Are these just the same or better and are they what I need? You help please.

January 9th, 2012, 2:48 am #2

The AF continued using AIM-9Ps around that time was well though, so either would probably work.

January 9th, 2012, 2:51 am #3

I've been building WW II since I got back into modeling a few years ago and although I have a few jets in the stash I haven't got to them yet. Then last week inspiration struck me. Inspiration can be dangerous. What inspired me was the new F-4E Phantom slat wing SEA Camo stencil decal sheet and the 3rd TFS F-4E decal sheet both by Afterburner. So while ordering them and the Hasegawa 1/48 scale F-4E (kit # PT7) I went a little crazy. I got both sheets, the kit and three Eduard brassin sets: seats, wheels and exhaust. I've done both brass and resin but this new Brassin line is new to me. Oh well in for a penny, in for a pound! I still need canopy rails. So as you see I am now committed to build a Phancy-Pants-High-Class model of a slat wing SEA camo Phantom II based at Clark AFB circa 1978-1980 covered with thousands and thousands of stencils. Here is the problem I need your help with. Although this very old kit still looks pretty good even by today's standards the missiles are just sad! Okay, I can live with the AIM 7's since they tuck up into the Fuselage and only can halfway be seen but I'm going to have to replace the AIM 9's. The question is which mark AIM 9 am I looking for? Where can I find a suitable replacement for these missiles. I know Hasegawa makes a series of "weapon sets" one of which is Missiles. Are these just the same or better and are they what I need? You help please.
That is F-4E Phantom II, 30 Year Anniversary Has.07208.

January 9th, 2012, 3:07 am #4

AIM 9B, 9D, 9E, 9J, and 9L so it looks like I will use the 9L unless anyone has a better idea and can provide me with a source. I am hoping that this weapon set has better missiles than the kit. It kind of looks like it from the picture on the box top that I have seen online but I would like to know for sure before buying it.

January 9th, 2012, 2:02 pm #5

The AF continued using AIM-9Ps around that time was well though, so either would probably work.
... were carried except in the 1990s by some ANG units. The "L" needed new wiring in the weapons pylons that the Air Force did not want to spring for on the aging airframes that were increasingly being used more for ground attack. All active duty Phantoms would be carrying AIM-9J/Ps.

<font size="5" face="Brush Script MT" color="#0000C0">
DWA

Happiness is NOT ... Getting what you want.
Happiness is     ...     Wanting what you've got.
</font>
Last edited by DWAungst on January 9th, 2012, 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

January 10th, 2012, 12:11 am #6

...Sidewinders... Check Plane Trading....

Scale Ordnance Warehouse.

We stole the eagle from the Air Force, the anchor from the Navy, and the rope from the Army.
On the seventh day while God rested, we overran his perimeter, stole the globe, and we've been running the whole show ever since.

Semper Fi, Don
“Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.”
- Ronald Reagan

Semper Fi, Don
Luke: 22:36

January 10th, 2012, 2:44 am #7

I can say for certain that the F-4E's that I flew in Germany from 1985 - 87 were not wired for the limas. Just as Dave Aungst said above, the USAF was not spending any money to add air-to-air capability to the F-4. I can't say for 100% certainty that Clark jets never carried Ls at some point, but I am 99.9% that they did not.

That being said, I do have a picture of a Spangdahlem F-4E that I bought back from Nellis (Red Flag) in 1986 carrying an AIM-9L. It was loaded on the rail so we could bring it over for Hahn F-16s or Bitburg Eagles.

You should load Papas on your jet.

Mark V

January 11th, 2012, 2:16 am #8

At Seymour Johnson in the late '80s we flew with J/Ps. The wiring was different and the missile plugs were very different (I compared the P to the M when the F-15Es arrived).

Some F-4Es were rewired for AIM-9L/M in the 90s and some foreign service Es are also wired for L/Ms.

Rick

January 11th, 2012, 3:32 am #9

with a new problem. The Hasegawa weapon set That I have eluded to has no AIM 9P and I have no source for them. Who if anyone makes them or is it possible to convert a "J" or an "L" to a "P"? T.I.A.

January 11th, 2012, 3:50 am #10

How can I contact you do have an E Store?