Personally, I blame Dragon!

.

Personally, I blame Dragon!

Joined: April 21st, 2006, 6:55 pm

May 21st, 2012, 12:24 pm #1


If the most recent incarnation of their 1/35 Flak 38 didnt include quite so many individual etched brass adjustment screw handles, Id be able to spend more time writing up this project!

Anyway, the next two photos show the three main resin bits, which correct the kits main shape issues. The nose and tailplane are by Freightdog, and the intakes by Heritage Aviation. The tailplane corrects the aerofoil cross-section and the sweep of the outer leading edge, as well as the top of the tailfin. The nose cone corrects the kit item, which is right for the S.1, but not for the S.2B. The Heritage Aviation intakes have the correct oval cross-section, and the right degree of taper. Together, all three make a big difference.

Fit of the nose cone and tailplane is very good, with only some light sanding and use of Tippex needed to fair things in. The intakes need a little more heavy-duty sanding, but nothing too challenging.

The kit internal bulkhead, Heritage Aviation intakes and Airwaves etched set all include front fans for the Rolls-Royce Spey engines. Of these, the Airwaves set is most accurate and best detailed, but you cant really see the difference without poking an IPMS judges penlignt down the intakes, so I just used the kit items.

One slightly unusual thing is that the cockpit tub is moulded integrally with the upper fuselage half. The instructions suggest that cockit detail should be assembled and built at the start of the project, lke most kits. However, this will only lead to damage and frustration, so I left it until after final assembly.




The second photo shows the fuselage underside. Theres only one slipper tank, on the starboard inner side. The port pylon will be used to carry a 1000lb Paveway II. A certain amount of Tippex was needed to fair in the bulged bomb bay door, but the most work was needed for the arrestor hook and the tail bumper. These are moulded fully retracted on the kit, and the tailhook detail is poor. I drilled both of these out, and limed the recesses with wine bottle foil. One of the Aeroclub detail sets includes a rather good arrestor hook, but I had to scratchbuild the tail bumper from plastic card. I found a suitable hydraulic ram it may have started life as a piece of a pitot head in the spares box:



Nest-up fixing the wings in place.
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: March 11th, 2010, 2:07 pm

May 21st, 2012, 5:59 pm #2

Seriously though, that's a fine looking Brick you have on the go there!
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: August 20th, 2010, 11:34 am

May 21st, 2012, 11:14 pm #3

If the most recent incarnation of their 1/35 Flak 38 didnt include quite so many individual etched brass adjustment screw handles, Id be able to spend more time writing up this project!

Anyway, the next two photos show the three main resin bits, which correct the kits main shape issues. The nose and tailplane are by Freightdog, and the intakes by Heritage Aviation. The tailplane corrects the aerofoil cross-section and the sweep of the outer leading edge, as well as the top of the tailfin. The nose cone corrects the kit item, which is right for the S.1, but not for the S.2B. The Heritage Aviation intakes have the correct oval cross-section, and the right degree of taper. Together, all three make a big difference.

Fit of the nose cone and tailplane is very good, with only some light sanding and use of Tippex needed to fair things in. The intakes need a little more heavy-duty sanding, but nothing too challenging.

The kit internal bulkhead, Heritage Aviation intakes and Airwaves etched set all include front fans for the Rolls-Royce Spey engines. Of these, the Airwaves set is most accurate and best detailed, but you cant really see the difference without poking an IPMS judges penlignt down the intakes, so I just used the kit items.

One slightly unusual thing is that the cockpit tub is moulded integrally with the upper fuselage half. The instructions suggest that cockit detail should be assembled and built at the start of the project, lke most kits. However, this will only lead to damage and frustration, so I left it until after final assembly.




The second photo shows the fuselage underside. Theres only one slipper tank, on the starboard inner side. The port pylon will be used to carry a 1000lb Paveway II. A certain amount of Tippex was needed to fair in the bulged bomb bay door, but the most work was needed for the arrestor hook and the tail bumper. These are moulded fully retracted on the kit, and the tailhook detail is poor. I drilled both of these out, and limed the recesses with wine bottle foil. One of the Aeroclub detail sets includes a rather good arrestor hook, but I had to scratchbuild the tail bumper from plastic card. I found a suitable hydraulic ram it may have started life as a piece of a pitot head in the spares box:



Nest-up fixing the wings in place.
I reckon you should just paint it up as it is!! Ha Ha!!
Seriously, I must get some of these resin bits as I have a couple of these kits to work on somewhere in the LHS in the shed out the back.
Quote
Like
Share