Panzers with Zimmerit

Panzers with Zimmerit

May 11th, 2012, 1:20 pm #1

As others have shown their techniques, here's mine done with a soldering iron. (Yeah! No kidding. Whoa!)
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

Forty-Sevens don't got carpet!

May 11th, 2012, 1:45 pm #2

Hi Brent:

That turned out nicely. I never had the nerve to take the soldering iron to a model - I was always afraid of the finality of the technique, and was more confident in my likelihood of making a mistake than I was of my ability to do it right! The last zimmerit I dealt with was on a Dragon King Tiger that had it molded on (and nicely too). Before that, I used the Cavalier zimmerit on a Tiger I (I liked the Cavalier stuff) and many moons ago I used epoxy putty to zimmerit up a Tamiya Panther.

Nice photography too, by the way.

Cheers,

Scott

Scott Taylor
Thachweave Products
http://thachweave.tripod.com

May 11th, 2012, 1:54 pm #3

It's the old Italeri (Testors boxing)mold I bought on the cheap.
I started with the turret skirting in case I messed up. It started a little rough, but got better as I went along.
Thanks again,
Brent

May 11th, 2012, 1:54 pm #4

As others have shown their techniques, here's mine done with a soldering iron. (Yeah! No kidding. Whoa!)
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

Really well done , excellent zimmerit I know the soldering iron technique I already try this but not with your nice results. Beautiful paint and weathering. I like much the base and ruined wall.

Serge Dompierre
Frog and Canuck and proud to be

May 11th, 2012, 2:08 pm #5

Yes, you sit at the workbench with great hesitation, model in one hand, soldering iron in the other, and great drops of sweat building on your forehead. ;>)
Thanks again,
Brent

May 11th, 2012, 3:32 pm #6

[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

Soldering iron? Who'da thunk it? Good job!

May 11th, 2012, 3:35 pm #7

[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

Great idea and nice model!

May 11th, 2012, 4:14 pm #8

[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

.... I remember my dad used Squadron green putty for his Zimmerit.
He'd use a tiny bit of baby oil where he didn't want the putty to stick, replicating chipped or flaked off zimmerit.
He'd apply it with a flat blade, then score it with a small section of hack saw blade, or some other tool he'd make from scratch...
After it dried, he would pick off the spots with the baby oil, wash it with soap and water, then paint it...

Your work reminds me of all that, though it's a different method. Thank you

Again, nice work.

We stole the eagle from the Air Force, the anchor from the Navy, and the rope from the Army.
On the seventh day while God rested, we overran his perimeter, stole the globe, and we've been running the whole show ever since.

Semper Fi, Don
“Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.”
- Ronald Reagan

Semper Fi, Don
Luke: 22:36

May 11th, 2012, 6:05 pm #9

Soldering iron? Who'da thunk it? Good job!
Thanks Jerry,
Brent

May 11th, 2012, 6:06 pm #10

Great idea and nice model!